Level 9 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

moonsalute

Hi,

I am mom to a gymnast competing level 9 this year. I am trying to learn a bit about her skill level since i know absolutely nothing! In fairly easy terms, can anyone explain what skills she needs to compete on her events? I am familiar with what skills she has on beam (handspring layout series, front aerial, full dismount) but have no idea on bars or what A,B,C,D skills mean, etc. She skipped a level, scored out of level 8 quickly and it seems to be a world of difference from what she once did at level 6:)

I try to look things up online but it seems confusing! If anyone can help, i would appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Free software from NAWJ is helpful

The National Association of Women's Gymnastics Judges offers a free software study aid and review tool for judges. The review panel in that software package is just what you’re looking for.

If you click on the “reviewâ€￾ and then the “run study centerâ€￾ option, you can easily check the requirements for each event in Level 8 through 10, deductions, connection values, and look up, say, all “Dâ€￾ UB dismounts or C leaps and jumps on beam. To address your comment that you "have no idea . . . what A,B,C,D skills mean": the skills become increasingly difficult as you move from A up the alphabet, as in these example skills from FX: back layout (A), back layout with a full twist (B), back layout with 1 1/2 or 2 twists (C), double back tuck or pike (D), double back layout (E), and with the D or E skills the L10 athlete earns a bonus (0.1 for D, 0.2 for E) in addition to possible connection value.

You can download the latest version (4.1.3) for free here:

National Association of Women’s Gymnastics Judges

Of course, you could just borrow the Code of Points from your gym or purchase your own copy for $50.

Vault- Tsuk pike or layout
or
Yurchenko pike or layout

Bars- Perioutte
Double back dismount or layout 1-2 twists
At least one release move (shootover, pak-salto, etc.)
Toe shoot (optional)

Floor- Double full or double back
layout 11/2 twist (if she does not have both double full and double
back)
2 salto pass (usually front layout front layout)
Dance connection

A,B,C,D is the difficulty of a skill, with A being the easiest. For instance, a back handspring on beam is an A and a double back on bars is a C.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back