Parents looking for some insight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not really convinced that John's approach is suitable for any young child tbh, ADD or not. It seems to me it's more about him playing the big guy than anything in the gymnasts interests. My DD is a clever girl, doing really well academically and makes changes to improve skills really quickly in the gym, picks up most things fast. HOWEVER, she isn't that 'quick' if that makes sense. It takes her a few seconds to digest information. She's not the sort of fast mouthed kid who always has a quick response. Once she's understood she's away, but it's not always instant. If her coach tried to talk to her in the same way as an eleven year old, or didn't have the patience to answer her questions or explain in a different way, she would struggle. And she doesn't have ADD to cope with. Not a coach for young kids in my opinion.

Coach John has no time for DD's questions ever.I think because she is immature and acts silly in line, he thinks she doesn't take gymnastics seriously and has no time for sillyness.

So I talked to Coach Susie today and told her what was going on (she knows him and used to work for him and said he was scattered brain and she seemed to not care too much for him) she said I should take her out asap until I told her that at Coach Johns Gym they have 6 stations and spend 10 mins at each one and he is only doing one station so DD isnt with him very long, 10 min is the norm thankfully, so I think she will be ok and we don't have class now for 2 weeks (Easter) so that will help and then Susie said after her team girls have their state meet she will have DD tested to see if she is ready for the pre-team and if she isn't she will help figure something out so we wont have to return to Coach John. :)

It isn't like he is going to say something like "Oh my, I had no idea. I'm so sorry and will definitely work with your child at a level that is comfortable for her." And, if he does say it, it don't believe him............ because his behavior will not change long term and in the end he will tell you that it is your daughter's fault.

I think that's a conclusion based on sentiment rather than fact. We don't know if this coach is simply missing the point, has been mentored in the wrong direction, or is destined to be a plonker for life. People, plonkers and coaches included, sometimes change the way they view things once they've been pointed in the right direction. If you choose not to believe this you should talk to some of the "first generation" of kids I coached. I'd like to believe I was incorporating a health dose of caring along with a "scowl first hear explanations never", but I'm afraid many of them didn't feel cared for at all.

Fortunately, for me and others, I was nudged by 3 people on three separate occasions, and changed course a little with each nudge. While I agree with everyone who says get her out of there, I'd like to point out that those who nudged me remained with "the program" waiting to see the results of their respective nudges.

So consider a brief meeting with John to let him know he needs to change if he want's to include every child possible in his program. If that seems to confrontational just send him a "Dear John" letter and move on.

Ironic that the coaches are called John and Suzie really. But I do think the OP managed to work her way through this very well and me to her own conclusion.

i do agree that some coaches can be prodded to change, I suppose the question is always, can it happen soon enough to help.

I believe some ppl can and do change, but with Coach John he is much older, in his mid 70's. So I find it hard to believe ppl haven't already nudged him more then once in his coaching career. I feel he chose not to change and thinks his way works. I will talk to him (not looking forward to it) at our next class just so he is aware and see what happens. Give him the chance to prove me wrong. I am still going to take her out and bring her only to Coach Susie. The environment is just so much more supportive.

Ok. I gotta ask... Why is it Ironic that their names are John and Susie? :confused:

Oh ok :) I enjoyed the video,thanks for sharing. I wanted to smack the cartoon Dad! lol I haven't seen any parents like this yet, but we are fairly new to the sport so time will show us I'm sure. I will strive to NOT be that parent! :eek: As in school and sports, as long as my kiddos are happy and improving at their pace, then I am happy.

You can link to websites if they are appropriate and if you are not trying to sell anything. It's just personal facebook pages that seem to personal. Thanks for understanding.

.......... but with Coach John he is much older, in his mid 70's. So I find it hard to believe ppl haven't already nudged him more then once in his coaching career. I feel he chose not to change and thinks his way works........

Well geez, you should have told us he was a fossilized, cranky old man (sorry, old chap) from the "git go". If he started coaching in his mid early 20's, that puts him in the early 1960 era, when pulling a kid along by their ear was a tolerated old school means of getting a stubborn kid to move along. He's probably thinking the whole world is crazy, and things need to change back to he way they were.

So with that said, I think I'll change into my bed clothes, pour myself a nice glass of prune juice, and warm up the good old reliable console tv so It's ready in 10 minutes for my favorite episode of Bonanza... redux x 300. :rolleyes: ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back