Coaches Momma said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This happened a couple of weeks ago to me. One of my gymnast said that her momma said to do a certain skill and certain way. (Momma is not a coach) I politely told her well Momma isn't your coach so please listen to me. Again tonight Momma said that gymnast was to do her ending skill a certain way! It's the wrong way! I'm getting real tired of this Momma! :confused:

The Momma did not say. That is a kid's way of saying I want to or think I should do a skill this way so I will bring out my ultimate weapon. If a kid tells you "momma said" then they think they can do what they want and you have to believe them because Momma is the ultimate authority.

I agree with Txgfan, I would meet with Momma and find out if there are any concerns that she has so that they can be addressed. She may not be aware of what's going on or if she is she may not be aware of the whole situation. I find that it's best to bring the parent in on what is happening with their gymnast so there won't be any further miscommunication about training.

I have a feeling momma's gonna do a whole lotta talkin' when she hears that her name has been used for evil......

I don't actually care wether it is "But momma said..." or "But I do it this way..." I handle it the same way:
I have no problem explaining my desicions or orders but there is no argueing, there is no cheating when I'm not looking. I'm really rather one of the "tears drying" type of coach but I HATE things like that, it can get quite dangerous. I also don't make them do conditioning when this happens, I make them SIT. Until they are willing to work with me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back