WAG Moving gyms? Coaching vs. 'Money Farm'

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BearMAK

Proud Parent
We're relatively new to gymnastics and have a couple of questions. My oldest daughter just finished her first year of competition at level 3 and it seems like the gym we are currently at is a 'money farm'. It feels like the approach is to have as many athletes as possible and through attrition, not coaching, the best will rise. While there is some sense to this theory, I don't want my daughter to be a victim of attrition, going through the sport without the kind of technical coaching that I feel is worthy of the money we spend. With three daughters, my oldest being 9, I feel a bit of pressure to make the right decision on whether or not to stay with a gym that is a safe, honest and cheaper bet vs. following better coaching albeit more expensive option that is 40 minutes across town.

I feel like I know what I should do. But I'm having a hard time with what feels like disloyalty. That said, I don't want to look back in a few years and wonder why I didn't help my daughter by giving her a better chance through coaches that truly coach the individuals instead of a gym that barely seems to know my daughters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any longevity and success in this sport requires good form and technical skills as the skills build off of each other. If this isn't happening at your current gym then it's time to get better coaching

Go for the "money farm" with high level optionals.

A good gym should be making money and have quality programs.

There's a lot of good that can take place at a gym that's safe, honest, and cheap. It's a business model that makes the sport available by surviving financially and keeping the cost low enough to allow participation.

At the other end of the of the scale are gyms that offer excellent instruction under coaches and instructors that are technically proficient, and who continue their education in the sport on a daily basis by working to solve problems that kids uniquely offer.

These "opposites" don't always work well within their apparent self definition, as is the case with with occasional gyms throughout the range between the two extremes. The task of choosing a gym is complicated by those gyms that seem at odds with their stated mission because you can't always tell what you're getting until your kids have made friends and you've made a financial commitment.

The chore of "choice" is made easier if you have a good sense that each gym is what it seems to be. Then it becomes a simple matter of knowing what your children are hoping to take away from the gym each time they attend. While one gym sounds easier to "get along" with, and in, is that going to be enough for a child who's caught the bug and has a heart felt intuitive sense that they can enjoy an extended competitive career.

Take your time looking into the other gym to make sure that the atmosphere and approach can work with, and for your kids. You may have a bit more time than you think, and I'd suggest getting it right is far more important than a timely decision....... except..... some programs are very age structured with respect to the age of the kids at each level. If they, for instance, determine that your child's skill work is appropriate for their L3 team there's a slim chance they'll have an issue with her age.

You got a lot to do.

Thanks for the input. I agree on the points about being loyal to the interests of my daughter first and foremost. While the cost is overall quite a bit higher out of pocket, the extra time with both my older daughter moving up to level 4 and the extra night given to my 6 year old, I don't feel like it is out of bounds. The cost of this sport is exorbitant. But if I'm going to spend the money, I want to give my daughters every chance they can get to take the sport to the highest level their talents might allow. Ironically, my oldest just nailed her KIP tonight in practice, doing it repeatedly with no assistance, (typical for her gym) without much notice other than with the other girls in her direct group surrounding. She was overjoyed and will do well as we move on. : )

Thanks again.

We used to be that gym that had large groups on the floor...kids just working skills all over the place...drove me nuts. Our groups were supposed to be in a ratio of 11 to 1 for team...because "team kids are more manageable"...haha. Many times we would hit 13 or 15 gymnasts to a coach.

Over the last 5 years we have dramatically increased our team prices...4% - 7% increases for each of those 5 years. Now we are more in line with what it takes to have the ratios and quality coaches that I want.

Mondays and Wednesdays are our busiest nights for JO girls team. We typically have 65 team athletes on the floor between 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm. During that time we have 11 team only coaches on the floor if everyone is there. If we are missing a coach...we are still at a 6.5 to 1 ratio.

The coaches are not overwhelmed and they receive good wages. The parents are happy with the product. It is not a cheap product...it is what it is.

We pull in a lot of money from team...but most of it is invested right back into the team program (with the largest share going to the coaches).

Thanks for the input. I agree on the points about being loyal to the interests of my daughter first and foremost. While the cost is overall quite a bit higher out of pocket, the extra time with both my older daughter moving up to level 4 and the extra night given to my 6 year old, I don't feel like it is out of bounds. The cost of this sport is exorbitant. But if I'm going to spend the money, I want to give my daughters every chance they can get to take the sport to the highest level their talents might allow. Ironically, my oldest just nailed her KIP tonight in practice, doing it repeatedly with no assistance, (typical for her gym) without much notice other than with the other girls in her direct group surrounding. She was overjoyed and will do well as we move on. : )

Thanks again.
Do you mind me asking you what you decided to do? This sounds a bit like a decision I'm trying to make. :) thank you...

Ok, I say go with your gut! Don't make the mistake we made!! We stayed at a gym out of loyalty. There were too many kids to coaches, which honestly, makes it impossible for the coaches to catch details. We allowed our dd to compete there 3 years but actually, last year I almost switched her. When contracts came due and because we loved the other kids & families and 2 coaches, in particular, we stayed. My dd is now at a new gym and in just a few short weeks, I've seen growth! We know this was the right decision!! And last year, I knew it was too but 2nd guessed myself. Go with your gut feeling!! You know what's best for your child. And you can at least try the other gym & let her decide. My dad went for 1 practice and came out begging to keep going to the new gym! Best decision ever!!! Good luck!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back