Parents Moving up in two activities. Is it too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rsm

Proud Parent
DD will be competing new L4 in the fall and the hours increase to 15 hrs/wk during summer and fall. So she will be at the gym M-F. We just learned there is also a chance that she can move up to L5 which will have her in the gym on Sat as well. She has also been invited to an advanced piano class which will require two lessons per week plus at home practice daily.

She is 7, so I'm worried that all of this would be overwhelming for her at this age. And that she won't have time to just "be a kid". We can decline the advanced piano, and do the regular class which will be a little less demanding. And we can decline L5 (if it's a choice) and just keep her at L4. Obviously, I would love her to do both, and she seems to think she can. But she is also not the kid who would love to live at the gym. She does like gymnastics a lot, but would happily skip for school events and parties.

I know each child is different, and she might thrive with the challenge (or not), but was hoping to hear some thoughts and experiences from other who have been, or are going through it.

If she wants to do the advanced piano, can you start and drop back to regular if it becomes an issue? And wow, you go a lot of days for compulsories!

I'd let her do the advanced piano class and L4. If the opportunity comes up for her to move to L5, then you can make a decision at that point regarding her competition level and gymnastics. You can always drop back at piano if it's too much.

6 days is a lot for a 7 year old but which does she love more and which do you love more? Is she really that into piano?

My DD does violin and gymnastics...gym came first and then she added violin. She really likes it, so she makes the time. Good luck!

I love the violin so much and my mother is a piano teacher. It breaks my heart that DD shows no interest or inclination toward learning an instrument. I think music is such an important part of life but much like my love of dance, DD doesn't share that with me.

I guess she marches to the beat of her own drum (one of two instruments she says she would be willing to play)!

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Whilst it does sound like a LOT of hours I'd say let her try. Either it'll be great or it won't and then you/she will have a decision to make as to how many hours to commit to what. But if you don't try you'll never know.

How about private piano lessons? She would still have to practice every day, but she would never have more than one lesson a week no matter the level. Even grad students in music performance only take one lesson a week.

How about private piano lessons? She would still have to practice every day, but she would never have more than one lesson a week no matter the level. Even grad students in music performance only take one lesson a week.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. While earning my graduate degree in piano performance, I often had more than one lesson per week.

To the OP, how is she at self motivation? Do you have to remind her to practice, or does she practice sufficiently on her own? I would start with the advanced piano and L4. She may or may not be ready to move up to L5, but she's already ready to move up in piano. Piano is something she will have and will be able to do for the rest of her life. Studies have also proven the link between music and academic success. It is certainly doable long term for both gymnastics and music. It will take commitment on both of your parts, but why not give her the opportunity, as long as she is willing.

6 days is a lot for a 7 year old but which does she love more and which do you love more? Is she really that into piano?

She loves gym more. She is into piano as well though, but not as much. But she is a natural at gym, and not as much at music. Part of the reason she is doing well in piano is that she has strong fingers (of course, thanks to gym), and her gym meets have helped her overcome her performance anxiety somewhat. So gym would actually come first, but I also would like to keep up the music as long as we can.

Keep a keyboard around. I'm sure there are the ones with preprogrammed guides unless she already knows how to read music and can just get some books of songs to play.

My DD does violin and gymnastics...gym came first and then she added violin. She really likes it, so she makes the time. Good luck!

Thanks! She will make the time if she continues to like it. I guess I'm worried that she will stop liking one or both if she gets overwhelmed. But good to know that some kids can handle it. I guess we won't know unless we try.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. While earning my graduate degree in piano performance, I often had more than one lesson per week.

To the OP, how is she at self motivation? Do you have to remind her to practice, or does she practice sufficiently on her own? I would start with the advanced piano and L4. She may or may not be ready to move up to L5, but she's already ready to move up in piano. Piano is something she will have and will be able to do for the rest of her life. Studies have also proven the link between music and academic success. It is certainly doable long term for both gymnastics and music. It will take commitment on both of your parts, but why not give her the opportunity, as long as she is willing.

She can also continue with one lesson per week if she doesn't move to the advanced class. I don't mind the two lessons, it's more the higher expectations for practice time at home etc that comes with the class. She does need to be reminded to practice, but she would then do it quite willingly. She does want to do both (she would do 4 other things if I let her). But she also doesn't realize how much more both of them will be. I'm leaning towards letting her try. If it's not working out, then we can figure out how to cut back. Thanks so much for the responses.

I defer to your expertise, as my music performance degree is only a bachelor's (but our grad students were also limited to one lesson a week). At any rate, more than one lesson a week is definitely not the norm for a 7-year-old.

If it gets to be too much can you ask her school to let her do piano practice during PE? It's not like she needs to work out at school.

My son does piano practice as part of his (home)school day.

It depends on the child, some kids can do it with no problem, others need to be eased I to it. You will not know unless you try. I have 4 kids, and only one, would be able to handle it. Personally, I would give it a try and if it doesn't work out, scale back one of the activities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back