Parents moving up midseason

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastca25

Proud Parent
Do girls at your gym ever move up midseason if they are scoring 9.8's and up without the bar skills needed for next level?

I can't see anyone moving up mid season if they were missing skills? I've seen girls get moved up at the end of the season with missing skills, but that's different since they have the whole off season to get them.

Are you saying they are scoring 9.8s in everything? But are missing only bars skills on the next level?

First - wow on anyone who has consistent, across the board 9.8s.

Second- no. Our gym doesn't do mid-season moves on any compulsory level and rarely in the optional levels. If someone had the skills in optionals (esp in level 6 or 7) they may move up. But without the needed skills? Nope.

So she's missing the dismount to her bar routine and scoring consistent 9.8s on vault, beam and floor in Level 4? I don't think they'd move her because she's missing some basic skills , albeit on one event, for the next level...

In our gym, they would be uptraining those two skills - if you are scoring 9.8s, you don't need to do be doing a lot of the current skills and routines, so there is more time to uptrain. Depending on age, as soon as she had the missing skills, she would be moving up. (If she was on our Middle School gymnastics team this fall, then HC would let her move up to 5 as soon as she had the skills... then, once she scored AT LEAST 31.0 twice at 5, she would be given the option to finish out the season as a L6... but only because we only have 2 L6 right now. Normally, we would not have a girl move up 2 levels in a season. Mid-season move up is rare enough.

Our gym never does midseason moves in compulsories and very rarely in optionals. Our gymnasts are all really young, though (all of our level 4s are 8 and under), so I don't think they feel any rush. They typically move everyone up one level a year, with a handful of repeaters occasionally.

I have not seen our gym move anyone up mid-season in compulsories. If she was at our gym, she would have a nice, successful L4 season and be set to learn this missing L5 skills ASAP in order to have a great L5 next year, or even be able to score out of 5 and move right on to L7 (with the skills needed, of course).

Yes, at our gym they allow mid-season move-ups occasionally. The conditions usually are all skills for the next level, and score over 36 in the current level.
As an example, my DD was missing a couple of bars skills for L3 last year. They put her in L2, until she got all her skills, and scored almost 37 in her L2 meet. Then she was moved up to L3 at the end of December, and competing the rest of the season and states as L3.
There was another girl last year who scored 36 at her very first L3 meet, and had all the L4 skills, so she was moved up to L4 after that first meet.
Currently we have a girl in L4 who has most of her L5 skills (I don't think she has a flyaway yet), and is hoping to move up to L5. She usually scores high in any level, but only scored 35.4 at her first L4 meet. They told her if she gets above 36 at the next meet, then she'll be allowed to move up.

Yes, they have occasionally done mid-season move-ups, but never if the gymnast doesn't have the skills to compete the next level up.

It would really depend on the gym, I suppose. And I think it would depend more on what the projected scores at the next level might be, rather than what she is scoring at the current level.

In my experience, a coach might be more likely to move along a girl that needs work on beam or floor than a girl who is not up to level on bars, the reason being that bars tends to be the event hardest to master, and even harder to catch up on if the basics aren't quite there. I know lots of girls who are a level or two ahead on skills for beam/floor, but can't move on because of bars. I think it is pretty common.

level 4 to 5. Missing free hip and flyaway.

Wouldn't happen in DD's gym. Would even prevent a moveup at the beginning of the next season if they were still missing, no matter what the scores on any event.

Keep in mind that the flyaway, fancied up with various twists, turns, and flips, is how they will get off the bar for the rest of their gymnastics careers, no matter how far they go. And the free/clear hip is going to be needed for optional bars routines to count as one of the skills. I could imagine a kid being able to pull a 9.8 on L4 bars but still be struggling with these two skills, especially the flyaway. DS still stinks at free hips and is just very lucky they aren't in his compulsory routine this year!

Last edited:
Wouldn't happen in DD's gym. Would even prevent a moveup at the beginning of the next season if they were still missing, no matter what the scores on any event.
Same here.
A mid-season move-up would happen, IF she had all the skills of the next level. Current scores wouldn't matter at all.

same here - except mid season move ups happen pretty often as HC likes kids to have ALL the skills confidently - so multiple kids will start (optionals more than compulsories simply because of the range of skills) at one level while still polishing the next levels skills, then move up when ready. Not related to scores, really, as they really don't always impact how fast a kid can master skills, but how WELL a kid does the old ones. However, bar skills are sort of the key of L5 (other than the BWO on beam) for MOST kids, and certainly used for the rest of the gymnasts career more so than the other event skills (which can be worked around in optionals). Sound like a successful L4 year while uptraining for the next 1-2 levels would be in her best interest - only bad to stay L4 if she won't be working on those needed skills at the same time.

Mid season move ups are usually anticipated in that they've been training the next level skills and were close to getting them, but just didn't have them when season started.

It's all based on having skills, not based on scores, but we're at a long view, uptraining focused gym, not a dominate the current level gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back