WAG Music ideas for 7 year old moving to optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One that I've used for kids that age is Calamitous Judgement by Zircon. It works well for young athletes without being too iddy-biddy-kiddy. You might also take a look at Dirt Devil, also by Zircon.

If you want something a bit younger/brighter/bouncier, the theme from Monsters, Inc has long been one of my favorites for young optionals.

Cirque du Soleil has some fantastic tracks, but I don't know specific titles; if you're still looking in a few days once I get my computer set up at home, I'll see what else I can find for you.

Are there other gyms in your area? It sounds like she could be ready for at least level 7 by the following year (ie test out of level 5.) Though I have no idea what her other skills are.
There is another gym in our area and they have produced many college gymnasts & elites. Our gym is fairly new, with few optionals but we have recently gotten some seasoned and experienced coaches to add to the already good coaching staff. I'm praying this helps. One of the newer coaches said she's one of only two girls at the gym that she would consider "TOPS material". My DD would never dream of leaving this gym but we have gone to the other gym just for parties & the coaches who have seen her back when she was 5 & kipping said they bet she went elite. I've heard good & bad about that gym though and I'm just not sure how she would do there if I moved her. And there is no scoring out of a level here...or it hasn't been done yet that I've seen. So sorry to high jack your thread!

That's awesome!! I was just confused but that's great she's been able to do that. My DD would love it! Good luck to your daughter. I'm loving this music thread. Can't wait until my girl gets there.

Thanks, I know it really sounds off when anyone understands the age restrictions. :) Your DD sounds like she's doing really well... I'm sure she will be there before you know it!

Check out the jumptwist site (jumptwist.com)....they have LOTS of stuff for the little ones--they even tell you in the description that they are designed for young optionals girls...

Depends on your choice cutesy or medium cutesy I can tell you a few some girls(younger) on my team choose.... Pie in the face polka(floor express) puppet on string(anywhere) or I like to move mashup(kind of crazy energym) (although) those are a few out of the million out there I think they are great for that age your looking for:)

Mr. Zoot Suit is a good one. Also as crazy as it sounds, I think All About that Bass would make a cute routine. I also like Piano Boogie. I can picture a cute upbeat floor routine to any of the musics of the swing genre. All are on floor express.

If your daughter is a good dancer Beauty and the Beast or Finding Never,and is gorgeous! Young, but more mature sounding. Flows well with kids who are good with the technique of classical ballet.

My daughter made the L4 cut off of 7 years old by about a month this last spring for States. So most of the season she was 6 years old as a L4. She is competing L5 currently for Fall season. She is currently training L7 skills so they are planning for her to not compete optionals this winter like usual for our area because that doesn't give her much time to learn all new choreographed routines (there is one month between her state meet in compulsory and optionals season starting). The coaches plan to have her score out of L7 next year in the 2015-16 season and compete L8. I have no idea if she'll be ready for L8 or if she'll compete L7 longer. Time will tell. It is very common to skip L6 though so this doesn't seem extreme of a goal for her.

I'm pretty sure that is against the rules of USAG. You have to be 7 years old the day of the meet to compete level 4.

My 7 YO Level 3 (training 4, competing 3) has been dancing, tumbling, jumping, turning and leaping around to all of the demo tracks on the websites above. She is loving them and it has been very motivational for her to want to get to optionals.

Sorry, but you are both incorrect about the age. It states very clearly in USAG rules and policies that the athlete must have reached the minimum age by the date of the meet. It does not vary by state, unless you are competing something other than USAG JO.

This is a direct quote from rules and policies:

1. All gymnasts must reach the minimum age for the level before competing in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned
competition (see chart on the next page).
Example: Level 3 State meet date is Dec. 1; the last Level 3 State Qualifier is November 17, the gymnast will turn the
minimum age for level 3 (6 yrs. old) on November 28th. She is ineligible to compete in the qualifying meet, and
therefore does not have the opportunity to qualify to the Level 3 State Championships that season.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2014_2015_w_rulespolicies.pdf

Check it out for yourself.

Sorry, but you are both incorrect about the age. It states very clearly in USAG rules and policies that the athlete must have reached the minimum age by the date of the meet. It does not vary by state, unless you are competing something other than USAG JO.

This is a direct quote from rules and policies:

1. All gymnasts must reach the minimum age for the level before competing in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned
competition (see chart on the next page).
Example: Level 3 State meet date is Dec. 1; the last Level 3 State Qualifier is November 17, the gymnast will turn the
minimum age for level 3 (6 yrs. old) on November 28th. She is ineligible to compete in the qualifying meet, and
therefore does not have the opportunity to qualify to the Level 3 State Championships that season.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2014_2015_w_rulespolicies.pdf

Check it out for yourself.

This is correct. My daughter was age 5 at level 4 (old 4) and competed only to learn she was disqualified. Her coaches were unaware that she had to be 6 at the meet. Even though she turned 6 right before state. It sucked bc she only got in one meet prior to state that year.

This is correct. My daughter was age 5 at level 4 (old 4) and competed only to learn she was disqualified. Her coaches were unaware that she had to be 6 at the meet. Even though she turned 6 right before state. It sucked bc she only got in one meet prior to state that year.
I

Yep, my dd was in the same position except her coaches knew the rules. I can't imagine how the posters DD "competed most of the season as a 6 year old in level 4". If her usag registration had her correct birthdate, it's hard to understand how a meet director didn't catch that. I can see that mistakes happen, but over the course of a season somebody would have caught it. Perhaps not usag meets? Or not being truthful? Hard to know on an Internet forum.

I have always wondered how Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel would look for a routine. It has a circus sounding part that would be cute, but you would need to cut it for yourself since I have not seen it anywhere online.

I

Yep, my dd was in the same position except her coaches knew the rules. I can't imagine how the posters DD "competed most of the season as a 6 year old in level 4". If her usag registration had her correct birthdate, it's hard to understand how a meet director didn't catch that. I can see that mistakes happen, but over the course of a season somebody would have caught it. Perhaps not usag meets? Or not being truthful? Hard to know on an Internet forum.

I can assure you, I'm being truthful about my personal experience, whether you want to believe it or not is up to you. DD's coach called about it specifically. Someone approved it. I can't tell you anything further than that. She did get in 2 other meets before State once turning 7 (but the majority of her season she was 6), so even if she wouldn't have been able to compete until then, she would have still qualified and gone to state.

Some plans changed for DD and she is going to compete L6 in Jan now. HC doesn't want her taking that much time off competing because that's the fun part for DD. So after her State meet his month she's going to learn her new routines (hopefully quickly and easily!). She ended up choosing a Frozen song for her floor routine. :rolleyes: Not what I would have picked, but it's cute and ultimately she has to love it. Thankfully it's not as "in your face" as an instrumental.

I love this one though. It was her second choice. Maybe she'll get to use it next time.
"When will my life begin?" from the Disney movie Tangled.
http://www.energymmusic.com/catalog/movie_tv/350

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back