WAG mymeetscores.com question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amber

Proud Parent
I have a question: I love the tidiness of mymeetscores.com. Even though some meets are missing. But I noticed that some kids are listed under the same name misspelled two or three times. Like Suzee Jones vs Susie Jones vs Suzy Jones. And some kids are not listed as participating in meets in which I know they were there. So out of the whole gym competing, their name is not listed in my mymeetscores.com for certain meets. Their names are in the meet results, only their names don't make it to mymeetscores.com (everyone else's does). In these two instances, they are the coaches' kids. Does anyone know why this is? I am just curious.

I think it's just a weird coincidence- many coaches kids' scores are on MMS. I love the idea and concept of MMS, it's not perfect, but it is fun to look at. But, should not be take as an accurate reflection of meets and scores- much is incorrect and missing on there, I find.

Dd has this problem. Her meets are listed under 3 or 4 differently spelled names. Sort of annoying bit I'm just happy there is a convenient place to view a lot of scores. So I put up with the annoyance.

If you're just looking for your own kid's scores (or the score of one particular kid) you can put in just the first part of the name (Su Jones, for example) and the various incarnations should all come up together. My DD is sometimes in there under her full name and sometimes under her nickname, but the first four letters are the same, so I can put in that along with the last name and get all of her scores (all of the scores from meets that post on mymeetscores at least). It messes up her stats (highest score for each event at a particular level, etc.) but since I'm guessing that nobody is looking at them besides me, it hardly matters. I do wish they would combine names that have the same USAG number, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty much just for fun and general nosiness anyway, right?

Yeah, it is certainly not always accurate. Some of the kids from the gym I coach at are listed under a different (similarly named) gym.

I do wish they would combine names that have the same USAG number
I don't believe they have the USAG numbers. It appears that they've just written something to parse the output from ProScore and aggregate it. They just get the gymnast name and gym name and match it (spelling for spelling) to see if they already have it. If they don't, your gymnast gets a new record under the new spelling.

I have no affiliation with the site, but do programming for a living. Were I to write such a site, that's how I'd do it, unless USAG and/or the state bodies were supplying data feeds to them. But, given the interface for linking to scores from a meet, I'd guess they're just parsing the ProScore output, which wouldn't be hard to do. Correctly, matching spelling variations, however, is nontrivial.

but as far as I can tell, it's pretty much just for fun and general nosiness anyway, right
. Yep. Entertainment, but not much else.

as far as I can tell, it's pretty much just for fun and general nosiness anyway, right?

LOL! Last season I used mymeetscores.com to check who was going to be at the meet that my daughter hadn't competed against yet, checked their personal bests and totally obsessed about who her main competition would be so that I could keep an eye on them. What a difference a year makes! Now I use it to check on girls that we got to know last year to see how they're doing (out of curiousity, not competitive angst) or to check on other members of our gym's team in different levels if we didn't catch their session.

Now I use it to check on girls that we got to know last year to see how they're doing (out of curiousity, not competitive angst) or to check on other members of our gym's team in different levels if we didn't catch their session.
Come January, it's going to reveal the gyms that have been sending their level 7's to the level 5 meets this fall. Of course, we all know who they are because their parents happily tell us about it.

Around here, level 6 is usually skipped by doing an in house meet to score out, so these girls have already competed at 5, trained 7 and will compete 7 starting in January. But, their gyms send them to the big compulsory meets as 5's (and will send them to the state meet as well) and then brag about how well they did at state.

The upshot is that if you can hang with them, you can be proud that you're as good as someone two levels higher than you. The downside is that there are plenty of girls pushed out of awards by them. Presumably, their gyms feel that competing 5 a few times in fall gets them ready for meet season again or something like that. One wonders why they don't compete 6 if it's for preparation purposes...

Ugh. No way someone who is ready to compete 7 should be competing 5. I can't imagine it is meaningful to them (I don't think my DD would feel good about "cleaning up" at a level 5 meet) and it can't be fun for the 1st year level 5's that are competing against them. :( You're right, if it's just about easing into the comp season, they should compete 6, since they already had to learn the routines in order to score out.

I don't believe they have the USAG numbers. It appears that they've just written something to parse the output from ProScore and aggregate it. They just get the gymnast name and gym name and match it (spelling for spelling) to see if they already have it. If they don't, your gymnast gets a new record under the new spelling.

I have no affiliation with the site, but do programming for a living. Were I to write such a site, that's how I'd do it, unless USAG and/or the state bodies were supplying data feeds to them. But, given the interface for linking to scores from a meet, I'd guess they're just parsing the ProScore output, which wouldn't be hard to do. Correctly, matching spelling variations, however, is nontrivial.

. Yep. Entertainment, but not much else.

That answers my question :)! Yep, its for fun...we have friends at different gyms, and MMS helps us see their progress, and they see ours :)

Hi! I personally don't look at my meets scores anymore, mainly because it is VERY inaccurate. Several times me and my team would go to meets, half of the girls would not get their meet results on my meet scores, and those who did would often get incorrect cores posted. Also, for me, my last name has been spelled 15 different ways, ( the blessings of being from a different country), so "my " scores are not together.

Also, on the note of incorrect levels, this is SOO frustrating!! I always get so mad when I see videos such as " our new level 5 doing double fulls" or" our levels 4's have layouts!" also frustrating when you see girls warming up doubles and full twisting layouts in a level 6 meet. ahem.

Let the girls who are first year have a chance on the podium!

I know that my daughter is listed on there 3 different ways because the booster club would register her under different names. One was her nickname, one was her legal name and the other was her legal name but spelled incorrectly. I knew it was the booster club because when we saw the score sheets, her name was wrong. It drove me crazy. I don't know how many times I would tell her that it was incorrect. Her name has always been correct at her current gym.

LOL! Last season I used mymeetscores.com to check who was going to be at the meet that my daughter hadn't competed against yet, checked their personal bests and totally obsessed about who her main competition would be so that I could keep an eye on them. What a difference a year makes! Now I use it to check on girls that we got to know last year to see how they're doing (out of curiousity, not competitive angst) or to check on other members of our gym's team in different levels if we didn't catch their session.

Yep, Cbone, this is why I am glad our state does achievement awards only (no placement rankings) for L2 and L3. It helps parents get from the very beginning a good perspective of competing against yourself & not comparing to everyone else. Unfortunately, very few gyms around here actually compete L2 and L3, so it is our L4 parents that are "stalking" gymnasts on MMS.

All of the number crunching and analysis and meet reviews meant nothing before state last year. At the end of the day, my daughter had to get on the floor and do her best; my constant meet score freak-outs did nothing to help that.

It's hard to let go for new parents, but it's way better when you do. I guess you have to go through it to understand it, though.

It's hard to let go for new parents, but it's way better when you do. I guess you have to go through it to understand it, though.
I agree. We try to let new parents here - not to get all caught up in the scores and other gymnast's performances but they really do have to go through themselves to see that it just isn't worth the stress or time.

How did I never hear of this site before? OMG...another thing for me to become obsessed with. lol. Too bad I tried to submit some scores to them that they were missing (via a link) but their submit page is broken.

How did I never hear of this site before? OMG...another thing for me to become obsessed with. lol. Too bad I tried to submit some scores to them that they were missing (via a link) but their submit page is broken.

I have attempted to correct scores several times with no success.

I have attempted to correct scores several times with no success.

One of my daughter's meets is listed on meetscoresonline.com, but not on mymeetscores.com. I tried to fix that by providing a link, but to no avail. It's no big deal, I guess. The only one that really cares about having a complete record of my daughter on one site is me. Her personal best beam score isn't listed on mymeetscores.com, dagnabbit!!! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back