Nailpolish at elite competitions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought it was a deduction too. They sometimes wear earrings too I notice.

We were just talking about this the other day at gym and according to our coach, who has an elite, wearing nail polish is actually encouraged at international competitions..no deductions. Deductions only in USAG ...go figure.

On a related note, our coach said that at High School competitions (at least in our state) nail polish is allowed but hair glitter isn't... opposite of USAG.

I wonder if any of the American gymnasts wear nail polish at international competitions, or if the coaches don't want them to..?

When you get to an elite level, it really doesn't matter anymore.
For earrings, only studs are allowed as appose to dangly earrings:)

This was on the USAG Q and A for judges page

:: USA Gymnastics :: Judges Q & A ::

Q Is nail polish allowed?

A There is nothing in our code of points that states nail polish is not allowed. However depending on the color it could create a distraction for judges.​

I always was told that you can't wear nail polish because if you hurt yourself and go unconscious or aren't breathing then your nails turn purple and if you have nail polish on then judges/coaches or whoever is helping you can't tell as quickly. Of course they can feel your pulse and what not, but nails is an immediate sign of not getting oxygen to the brain.
I used to compete USAIGC and I'm pretty sure the first judge to notice one of my teammates nail polish gave her a warning and she didn't have nail polish remover to take it off, so the judge on the next event deducted her for it.

that is interesting that there isnt an actual rule against it. i guess it is beter safe than sorry and just take it off. once my teammate forgot to take hers pale pink naillpolish off and didnt have remover, so she had to tape all of her toes!!! i dont think they judges wouldnt have noticed though.

IMO it is a stupid "rule" but as a coach I tell my girls not to wear anything distracting, nail polish, massive hair glitter, big bows, excessive makeup, Scooby doo undies, bling bling earrings, neon green bras. Not only can it be just plain unattractive it is distracting and you should let your gymnastics shine not all your accessories.

it is not only USAG. British Gymnastics does not allow nail polish or any jewellery including earrings (this also includes the coaches) Bright nail polish can be distracting. Strapping and supports also have to be skin coloured for the same reasons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back