Parents National TOPS testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter missed camp as a 9 and 10 year old. It was not tough for her to hear the news the first year since she only started training the physical abilities part a month before her state testing. Then only after she found out she made national testing did she even train for the skills. She was only an L5 at gym that was really not producing top gymnasts.

The next year she felt she was more prepared even though she only again started TOPs training that summer. But she worked so hard and wanted to make camp so badly. She missed it this time by a few tenths. She too handled it with such grace and strength but as her mother I saw the great sadness in her eyes. It was so tough for me to see. To this day, my heart breaks every time I recall that day. It was good experience for her though and a wake up call for my family because we then realized this gym could not get her to elite despite their declarations and also when my daughter decided elite was not for her. She is now very happy staying the JO route. We switched gym two years later when she was an L9.

Greetings all. My 10 year old did not make a camp. I am disappointed but she is completely taking it in stride - you have to love that! This was her first year testing so getting to Texas was a huge accomplishment. I have a few questions....
1) how do we find out her actual score...after testing her coaches thought she had a shot at B. Camp, curious to see how close or far off her score was to qualifying.
2) if she is close, do spots on B camp ever open up?

Thanks and congrats to those who made it!

1) how do we find out her actual score...after testing her coaches thought she had a shot at B. Camp, curious to see how close or far off her score was to qualifying.
2) if she is close, do spots on B camp ever open up?

1) I think your coaches should receive her scores. You can try to figure them, but it's pretty confusing, and you can't be sure how much rope and sprint times are worth.

2)If spots open up, they will invite the girls in order of scores. Last year, at least one girl who originally just missed the cutoff was invited after another girl declined.

All coaches were sent scores Friday as far as I know. In her email Kim says she will add kids if and when others decline. In my experience some families are set on their daughter making A ,especially if they have before and turn down B.. In my opinion as a mom and as the head coach, TOPS is a great program but, not the end all and be all of gymnastics. It certainly has enhanced our program. If you made it to Nationals Congrats, the rest should be the icing on the cake! To make either TEAM is a wonderful opportunity and accomplishment for the girl, the coaches and the parents who are the support system. I had kids make both A and B again this year and we are just as thrilled this year as we were many years ago with our first TOPS team member

Lots of kids decline B camp as you have to pay all the expenses for it. I am sure someone told me once that 2/3 of the kids from testing get invited to one of the camps in the end due to all the b drop outs. Not sure if that was true or a one off or something. So sit tight if you were close to the cut off score .

Lots of kids decline B camp as you have to pay all the expenses for it. I am sure someone told me once that 2/3 of the kids from testing get invited to one of the camps in the end due to all the b drop outs. Not sure if that was true or a one off or something. So sit tight if you were close to the cut off score .

I believe that in highly inaccurate. Yes, there are a few Bs that decline, maybe 2-3, but not a lot. Also as a side note, there could be 10 gymnasts that score within one point. But certainly there is a chance thriveagc's daughter could get invited. I hope she does. :)

It was a few years ago when a friends dd used to go. Maybe nearly everyone goes now but it was definitely a lot more than 2 or 3 back then! Yes I remember the scores being really really close together.

Only B with a 9.9 and a 9.7 ? Mine missed by just under 2 pts and she had mid to high8 's except for 6.45 on the floor.

Our DD made B team 8 year old! Was also told she had the highest bars score 9.9 and tied for the highest floor score 9.7! We are glad she will be getting to go back to the ranch!

Wow how come she didn't make national tops team with those scores? Those are huge and everyone said the scores were much lower in general so those would really stand out. Did she have a a big disaster somewhere else. It is very tough. Well done for making B team.

Rope Climb was a big reason and a few minor errors on other PA's. The fact that 8 years olds are weighted 50/50 made those high skills score not matter so much. She didn't get anything below a 9 on skills.

Well she has still done very well. The PA are very important with the younger ones. I expect that is why they weight them 50 50. I expect she will really enjoy it.

Rope Climb was a big reason and a few minor errors on other PA's. The fact that 8 years olds are weighted 50/50 made those high skills score not matter so much. She didn't get anything below a 9 on skills.
Well testing as a 9 and 10 year old will definitely be in her favor with those fab skill scores! Congrats to her and your fam- big commitment on both sides! Here is to the next step in her journey.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back