WAG NCAA eat your heart out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have run across pamphlets written in the American Progressive Era that argued vigorously that female children should be forbidden to perform ballet because it was too seductive and would corrupt them.

I have to say, I'm a fan of these 'unique' routines. I kind of laughed with her doing this hip hop routine with two cute little buns on her head.

I was trying to find a routine I watched a while back and can't seem to find anymore. It was a girl maybe 11 and a level 7 (approx.) and I just remember she had her hair in pigtails and it was a such a spunky almost musical theater like routine and I absolutely loved it! If I find it I'll post it!

I have to say, I'm a fan of these 'unique' routines. I kind of laughed with her doing this hip hop routine with two cute little buns on her head.

I was trying to find a routine I watched a while back and can't seem to find anymore. It was a girl maybe 11 and a level 7 (approx.) and I just remember she had her hair in pigtails and it was a such a spunky almost musical theater like routine and I absolutely loved it! If I find it I'll post it!

Spunky is never a word you would use to describe a child dancing in the UK. :confused:

I really didn't care for the routine, but I think it's great girls are trying to infuse some if their personality into their routines. We have girl at our gym that does a hip-hop floor routine, and it's just mesmerizing. She competes xcel, and won floor at regionals with a 9.875. No matter how many times she practices, everyone in the gym stops and watches. It just suits her, but I am not 100% that everyone could pull it off. I would love to see my DD do a balletic one someday.

I watched Sophina's on mute and it didn't seem that different. The weird music makes a big difference to have you perceive it.

Part of Sophina's appeal to me, though, is her musicality. In the second video, where she's wearing green, the dance after her double turn, about 3:57 to 4:07, is amazing in its musicality and interpretation. The music itself is not really a huge standout, but that ten seconds really makes you feel the music - she's dead on there.

I have seen that gem before. oh my, not what I was thinking at all when I said balletic.

I guess since ballet is the foundation of most if not all dance forms, one can argue that this is balletic. But from a technical standpoint, I believe you are right bog. In my opinion, this is more of "modern" number than ballet. I use the term modern in reference to what was modern in the old days when I was into dance. If anyone is familiar with the more commercial Alvin Ailey Dance Company, that is modern dance. The flexed feet and contractions are not conventional ballet movements. IMHO

I don't like Lloimincia's routine because it just looks as though she is freestyling it and jumping about to the music as if it's a disco competition. And because it's so fast and wild, I don't really get to appreciate the gymnastics, it's distracting.

Thank you for putting it into words re: Hall's routine...I find her tumbling to be fantastic but you're right, the rest of the routine is so distracting, i don't get to appreciate her gymnastics skills....and I don't care for the routine in the original post either..seems like a lot of hip hop dancing with tumbling passes just thrown in..

Personally, I would have a hard time naming a decent routine that isn't 'A lot if x dancing with tumbling passes thrown in.' Where x is whatever kind of dance style.

Uh no...what I meant was there was no choreography to the routine and just hiphop dancing , and oh I 'll do a few flips because I'm at a gym meet kind of routine....basically I found the OP routine better suited for a dance recital...

My DD just did level 6 last year and we spend numerous hours looking for music to fit her long lines and elegant style. I think the hip hop style works good and is fun for bouncier younger girls, without the provocative movements of course, but ballet type is so much better for the longer lined gymnast. DD chose a tango.

Uh no...what I meant was there was no choreography to the routine and just hiphop dancing , and oh I 'll do a few flips because I'm at a gym meet kind of routine....basically I found the OP routine better suited for a dance recital...

I don't see what else she was supposed to put in her routine. It's hip hop. The hip hop dancing was the choreography.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back