Need barani drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I am teaching a lady and her 2 kids (doing semi privates) they do t&t and want to learn baranis. They have been trying to learn them for 2 years now. We teach the front tuck kick out jump half turn as a beginning progression, but they can't kickout properly. Also 2 of them are confused about twist direction, the Mom says that both directions feel equal but she does all her other tramp skills right but wants to twist the barani left, and every week she is more and more confused.

The problem is the Mom and daughter really have no technique, at least not enough to progress but they want to learn new skills. The mother has told me they are not going to compete ever again and just want to have fun and learn cool tricks, so in essence perfect tecnique is not needed.

Anyways long story short they just want to lean a barani period, it does not matter if it is in proper trampoline form or if it is more like a round off with no hands, so does anyone have any drills for this? Last week I set up a trapazoid in front of the double mini and had them do round offs over it to get the feeling of twisting and how high they need to jump, it somewhat helped. I re read my post so just so I don't catch heat for it, they have skills just not great technique and I think they are safe to start trying baranis.

How do their front pike kickouts look? In my experience those are far easier to get a real kickout. Front pike, kick, jump half turn.Front roll to flatback, roll. If doing it off the tumbletrak or DM onto an elevated stack is an option, front whatever kickout to a high place to flatback, roll over.

do you know how to hand spot a barani using their own arms? it's an old school method that works better than just abut any other method.

Thanks coach Goofy, I will try that for sure! it doesn't matter the shape as they just want to learn it period, not compete it.

Dunno, I don't know how to do this. Can you explain how it is done? I am smaller and lighter than the adult, would it still work for her?

Also forgot to add, these folks get bored quite easily and basically just want to learn tricks safely for recreation purposes. The problem is I am running out of ideas on what to teach them with the limited skills they have. They can do back tucks and pikes just not with a kickout, same with front. I taught them back straights, I am going to teach them front 3/4's maybe cruises for fun and the baranis but I am stuck on what else I can teach them to keep them happy.

They all hate back drops so thats out. They obviously can't twist so thats out. They don't want to do front tuck on for double mini or back tucks so level 7 is out. And the girl wants to learn back hand springs but no one else wants to tumble. This is a weekly hour long private but I am running out of ideas and I want them to come back, it really helps supplement my income :D Any thoughts. They also like fun creative drills.

On an 8" mat, forward roll with half turn to their belly. They leave one arm up (their twisting axis) and one arm drops on the turn (like reaching across their body).

This should help with both the kick out, and the timing.

To make it a true barani, though, I think there shouldn't be any pike or tuck at all, so this will teach them a front half... If that's ok with them and you, go for it.

For a real barani, round off, round off over a trap or folded panel mat, round off with 1 arm, punch round off over trap, punch 1 arm over trap, get rid of trap when lightly touching the trap on 1 arm.

The true barani takes longer... So do what you see fit for them... Sounds like an interesting family. Arials are fun, front or back walk overs if flexible, work strength progressions for planches or press handstands... Lots of options. Depends on how hard they want to work...

an aerial drill we always do is but a panel mat (folded) horozontal with a sting mat on the other side (short way) like so |- the | is the panel matt and the - is the sting mat have them run to the panel mat and step pretty much dive cartwheel over until they can life there hands. It might help to teach them the lift off technique for the aerial too. ( step onto the top of the panel with take off foot and swing arms you should get a small jump) then take off

On an 8" mat, forward roll with half turn to their belly. They leave one arm up (their twisting axis) and one arm drops on the turn (like reaching across their body).

This should help with both the kick out, and the timing.

To make it a true barani, though, I think there shouldn't be any pike or tuck at all, so this will teach them a front half... If that's ok with them and you, go for it.

For a real barani, round off, round off over a trap or folded panel mat, round off with 1 arm, punch round off over trap, punch 1 arm over trap, get rid of trap when lightly touching the trap on 1 arm.

The true barani takes longer... So do what you see fit for them... Sounds like an interesting family. Arials are fun, front or back walk overs if flexible, work strength progressions for planches or press handstands... Lots of options. Depends on how hard they want to work...

RYANTROOP, come again with that. forward roll to 1/2 turn puts you on your back. i'm not getting this.

wait...or do you mean forward extension roll to 1/2 turn?

Thanks coach Goofy, I will try that for sure! it doesn't matter the shape as they just want to learn it period, not compete it.

Dunno, I don't know how to do this. Can you explain how it is done? I am smaller and lighter than the adult, would it still work for her?

Also forgot to add, these folks get bored quite easily and basically just want to learn tricks safely for recreation purposes. The problem is I am running out of ideas on what to teach them with the limited skills they have. They can do back tucks and pikes just not with a kickout, same with front. I taught them back straights, I am going to teach them front 3/4's maybe cruises for fun and the baranis but I am stuck on what else I can teach them to keep them happy.

They all hate back drops so thats out. They obviously can't twist so thats out. They don't want to do front tuck on for double mini or back tucks so level 7 is out. And the girl wants to learn back hand springs but no one else wants to tumble. This is a weekly hour long private but I am running out of ideas and I want them to come back, it really helps supplement my income :D Any thoughts. They also like fun creative drills.

okay then. you start at their side. if you want to start with a left twist [right barani] you begin on their left side. take your left hand and grab their left upper arm directly at the elbow. take your right arm and reach in front/next to their stomach and take your right hand and grab their right forearm just above the wrist. *NOTE: reverse if doing a right twist [left barani]. begin on the subject's right side. your right hand to their right arm, and your left hand to their left wrist.

when your done your own left arm and their left arm will be by/close to your own chest. and your right arm will be in front of their stomach/chest.

now you bounce together to get comfortable with each other...dancing with the stars...lol

okay, now you have the subject perform a front flip. if they can do that and you can hold/support them during the front somi without releasing the subjects arms and subject lands on their feet safely then you're good so far. practice this several times in concert so that you each get used to what you feel.

then the easy part. they perform the front somi. YOU push their left arm with your left hand and YOU pull their right wrist with your right hand right when the subject is upside down. tell the subject to keep their eyes focused on the cross on the trampoline. subject should see the cross the entire time. and YOU should still be holding the subjects arms at the end. and they may attempt to 'grip' you also and that is normal.

finally, you may want to practice this with a small child first to get the hang of it. and the subjects should have front somi's first as a matter of progression.:)

RYANTROOP, come again with that. forward roll to 1/2 turn puts you on your back. i'm not getting this.

wait...or do you mean forward extension roll to 1/2 turn?

Forward roll...instead of rolling off the back and standing up, turn over to the belly.

But the issue here is wanting to do the barani the opposite way of twist direction, it sounds like. This isn't very uncommon. If I did a barani in the most intuitive way to me (roundoff with no hands), I would be twisting the wrong direction too.

Yeah I don't understand the twist direction thing at all. I have heard the arguments both ways. I have always just looked at the way they are twisting naturally for other t&t skills, not cartwheels, generally if they do jump full turn and swivel hips one direction that is the way they will want to twist for flips. As for myself I do a left handed cartwheel, a barani that goes the same way as my round off but I do fulls front and back both left. I cannot even fathom doing anything to the right.

I guess her and her kids are doing it the "right" way as they cartwheel right hand down first but want to barani with if it were a round off with no hands with the left hand coming down first. I don't know I am too confused over this and it doesn't help that they go back and forth over it. I simply told them today to pick what felt best and stick with it, to which I received a " they both feel fine" so I guess my question is what should I choose to ask them to do? We aren't going anywhere with this back and forth.

Sorry for such a long post. I am really excited to be doing this, but also frustrated. With them it is a very fine balance of doing things properly and doing new things so they don't get bored. They quit competing as they could not move up and always had to work on the same routines, and basically want to learn new things and have fun but aren't really into doing a lot of work.

I love these people to death but I feel a bit out of control with the semi private as all 3 of them want to work different things on different apparatus at the same time and I set up drills for say baranis and they will do them once or twice and then get bored. So I don't think the new fun skills are going to come as fast as they would like. For example I asked them to do back drops today so that we could do back drop half turn to feet as a twisting drill and also to learn front 3/4, but they don't like back drops so they kept asking me how to do a front 3/4 and I told them there is no possible way to do it without a good back drop. That is like trying to do a handstand on the bars without doing a cast. I had a little heart to heart with all of them and told them I want them to learn new skills, but they have to learn the progressions and that is what held them back from moving on in the first place. They seemed to agree so I guess we shall see next week. I wanted to ask how you might handle this? It is their private but I need it to be organized and safe, fun but obviously working towards goals. Privates are so much easier with one person working on one skill.

And finally Dunno, thank you so much for explaining how to spot it. I think however we will wait a while to try it as they really need more of the basics regardless of what they may think and on top of that I am currently injured so I can't jump with them. But I will keep the explanation so when they are ready and I am healed we can give it a try. I do think I will try the forward roll thing, that is a good one for now, if they don’t get bored in 2 seconds.

I am sorry this turned into a rant and got so long, thank you for reading if you stuck with it!

For twist direction, I look at swivel hips, airplanes, and jump full turns, for what that's worth...and we get it all on the same side. I've noticed (anecdotally) a harder time with airplanes the wrong way than the other stuff.

@RyanTroop (I think) who said a barani is only straight...not in T&T! Ours are position-kick out-twist.

@Aerialriver: You could teach them a sloppy gross 'porpiose'/glorified peanut roll thing. For 3/4 fronts seat-doggy-flip to back is fun, at least. 3/4 backs are fun (theyd need at least a late kickout, but they're fun...). If they can do airplanes consistently & are willing to clean up a bit, arabians may not be out of the question. And if their back straights are acceptable, the twisting may come.

It sounds like a very frustrating lesson.

@Dunno: Thank you from me as well on the barani spotting. I've got a couple of little things who may benefit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back