Need help thinking out a situation... daughter crying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a coach myself, I can understand that this can be a difficult issue. There was a gymnast in our pre-team, about the same age, who cried every time she came in the gym and every time it was time to do conditioning. She was not allowed to miss the conditioning or do less, but when we moved on she was always told to go and wash her face. We then made it a point to praise her for something else as soon as possible afterwards. It took a couple of months, but not she comes in beaming and will be competing in January.

Every child is different. At 6 there really is no rush for anything. If she enjoys the rec class stick with that for a while, see how she does. If she is afraid of not doing well enough in the conditioning or with the team girls, perhaps a time being one of the best in a lower level class will be really good for her.

It could be that she just needs a little more time. I wouldn't want to see my 6 yr old crying. Maybe after a break from team and a few months pass, she might realize that she misses it (or doesn't!) and either be ready or not ready to go back! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back