MAG not sure what to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My son started going to gymnastics a year ago he is 9 1/2 in July he was asked to join the new boys team they where forming at his gym. Up until then he had been attending once a week with a coach he really liked who was great. Tons of experience very good with boys. He really loves gymnastics and wanted to join the team so we said yes. It only meets for three hours a week. Last week he had his first competition and he scored 4s and 6s. Looking at the other teams and coaches he seemed pretty unprepared. I had suspected this would be true just from watching practices. I had asked the coach about it and he thought the boys would be scoring 10s and up. I doubted it but I don't want to be that kind of mom so I let it go. After this weekend my son was so disapointed and the worst is that he didn't know what to correct even though me with my limited gymnastics experience could tell he hasn't been taught his basic positions correctly. My SOM wants to get better, we want to come in more but there is just this one boys coach and I don't know how to aproach the director of the team program without fiddling feathers. This gym has a strong girls program it just seems like there is no commitment to advancing the boys. Help! This is also the only gym close to us. Any advice would be appreciated.

First of all 3 hours a week is really low for L4 boys. DS practiced for 6 hours a week and his team was somewhat competitive, but it had a really strong coach, and the boys were young (mostly 6-7). This year as repeat L4s they could have been doing 9 hours, but were doing 6 again. We have since moved to a new state, and the gyms I called here ranged from 9-15 hours for the boys. It is really hard with boys gymnastics. I guess I would ask the plans for the boys team. I would approach it with: What are they planning to do to make it so the boys scores go up and they don't get discouraged? How big is the current team? I am sure others will have more advice for you.

I think it is time for a sitdown with the coach. I wonder if he was aware of the changes for this year? I could see expecting 10s and up as a reasonable starting place for a team practicing low hours under last year's scoring system.

My DS's team did five hours a week last year divided into two practices. They were not a dominant team by any means, but at most meets, most boys got at least one medal, and a few of them were placing AA pretty consistently.

What kinds of skills does your son have? Can he do a solid mushroom circle? Swing above horizontal on parallel bars? Do a good round off and cartwheel? Do smooth swings with straight legs and legs together on rings, p bars, and high bar? I'm no coach, but I don't think you're going to get very far at a level 4 meet without these skills.

I hope some of the coaches will chime in -- I think USAG has some good training programs and materials for coaches who are starting up a competitive boys' team. My sense just as a casual outside observer is that the men's coaches are pretty collaborative and open about sharing, and there might be some coaches in your area who could help your son's coach build up his program.

Last year my son was a first year Level 5 on a relatively new team with a brand new coach - scores were definitely low but improved as the year went on. My son placed very low (think 10th) if at all at most meets.) The first meet is a starting point - I'm sure the coach is already figuring out what needs to be done to fix & improve things. The minimum number of practice hours on our team is 6 and we saw the mot improement in the boys who chose to 9. Hang in there - gymnastics takes a while to succeed in. Encourage your son to set non score related goals - like hitting tricks or sticking landings.

sounds like a new boys program. hopefully their learning curve gets better along with your son. and with a boy, it's a long haul anyway so you have lots of time.:)

New program = growing pains. This I know from experience. I went from coaching the state champion girls' team to a new boys program a long while back. By the end of the season, the guys did fine.
Also, for a newly formed beginner team, I don't really thing 3hrs a week is a problem. I think it's a good way to get used to the longer practices in the beginning before adding more day to the team practice. I'm with dunno on this one. You have plenty of time. Just look for progress in the skills and shapes and such. The scores should progress along with the basics.

Our level 4's are 4 hours a week with an optional additional 3 on Saturday. Our coach thinks that at this age and level it is better to have the boys wanting more than burning them out. Our level 4 team is reasonably competitive, but when the coach is also the gym owner, she wants kids for the long haul.

Thanks everyone! We are four meets in and my son is loving it. His scores are steadily improving. From a 30 to a 56 at his last meet. We added another class so he does 6 hrs and it has really helped. It seems like he really wants to pursue this. He is working so hard and really having fun. I hope our gym makes a good commitment to the program. Also @profmom he has those skilss and also a roundof backhandspring , front handspring, and roundoff backtuck. He struggles on high bar and mushroom.. Thanks again everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back