Parents not watching meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my kid is cool as a cucumber at meets. she loves them . she is not one to melt down if she doesn't do her best on a particular event. she's even "fallen" on bars b/c a prior skill was off and she knew it was better to fall and correct and go from there. i need a shower after. i'm a sweaty mess. but she also loves us to come for the same reason she loves the meets - she enjoys showing off what she's learned. she would have me at every single practice if i would stay (thank goodness our coaches realize some kids are like this and restrict our viewing time).

i will only miss a meet if needed. we have an older daughter who does dance competitions and her own life and i think for the 2nd meet i'm going to have to stay home with her as she's doing an all nighter the night before with her church youth group. i won't leave her home sleeping by herself. oh darn. :) i am also going on muscle relaxers for some lower disc issues and i plan on using them to help me get through sitting on the darned bleachers that already kill my back. i'm hoping they make for a more enjoyable parental viewing for me too. lol

I think it depends on what exactly about meets is torture for you, or why you think it would be better for your child if you did not watch, and if that is something that can be fixed in any way other than missing the meet or not watching. If your kid wants you to watch her routines at meets, then it makes sense to figure out a way you can more happily do that.

It's mainly about the fact that watching meets makes me compare my kid's progress to other kids' progress. Not scores or placement, but the actual performance in relation to what she's done in the past, what I believe she's capable of, what her coach says she expects from her, and the progress her teammates have made. It makes me doubt what we are doing and spend weeks after every competition thinking about pulling the plug. It tempts me to give her "constructive criticism." If I didn't see it, it would be so much easier to be positive and supportive.

My daughter wishes me to watch her compete but I do stress about doing so. I have tried to lower the stress level this year with some success but it's still nerve-wracking.

My daughter wishes me to watch her compete but I do stress about doing so. I have tried to lower the stress level this year with some success but it's still nerve-wracking.
I will say - for one particularly important meet, I did indeed have a glass of wine beforehand. Even though it was a noon meet. And I managed not to cry when she accomplished her goal :) Well, I did tear up, but normally I'm a blubbering mess!

I will say - for one particularly important meet, I did indeed have a glass of wine beforehand. Even though it was a noon meet. And I managed not to cry when she accomplished her goal :) Well, I did tear up, but normally I'm a blubbering mess!
It's been quite awhile since I've drank before noon! :D Not sure whether it's a good time to start again!

I should have mentioned I do enjoy watching my daughter's teammates compete and helps to take my mind off my daughter.

DD has a girl on her team who's mom always brings her to gymnastics, said mom told me the other day that her dad doesn't support her gymnastics at all, doesn't bring her to practice and refuses to go to meets. It breaks my heart let alone the daughter... I'd say talk to your DD about it. Let her know your reasoning and ask her what she thinks. If she wants you to watch, then do it. If she understands your reasoning behind it, try not watching for a meet and see how it goes. Kids want your approval and support more than you will ever know. So if she wants you to watch her then so be it. If it really effects her performance, then maybe she'll start to realize her own nerves.

Hope that makes sense and helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back