Parents Note to visiting gym mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ouch, she sounds awful!! We've had something a little similar recently - a family brought their daughter to trial at our gym. The mum never stopped talking about how good her dd was, how she was wasted on her old gym, she needed to be here training elite. They weren't offered elite they were very politely and gently offered a place in the regional grades squad and the mum just went off on a rant in front of the other parents about how it wasn't good enough, not nearly enough hours, she should be on the elite path, couldn't they see what they were looking at. She was saying how much better she was than the other kids in that group and they couldn't seriously be thinking of putting her with them as most of them were useless! All the parents in the viewing area were stunned. The whole family marched out saying they would find a gym who could recognise her potential and train her elite. Turns out they can't go back to their old gym because they upset the coach saying they weren't pushing dd enough... horrible!

CGM alert Flossy! Some clubs don't even offer anything but regional grades!

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I know Margo and the girls in that squad work hard (12 hours a week) and do well. The coaching is great, they do a lot of the same conditioning as the 'elite' track girls and a lot of the same skills too. That's why the parents in the lobby were all so horrified when she was so rude and made out that it was some sort of insult for her daughter to be offered a place in that squad. Lots of little girls would have gladly swapped places at that moment for that offer. Unbelievable. What can it be doing for that little girl's confidence to be dragged from gym to gym and having her parents tell her that what she's being offered isn't good enough...

Ouch, she sounds awful!! We've had something a little similar recently - a family brought their daughter to trial at our gym. The mum never stopped talking about how good her dd was, how she was wasted on her old gym, she needed to be here training elite. They weren't offered elite they were very politely and gently offered a place in the regional grades squad and the mum just went off on a rant in front of the other parents about how it wasn't good enough, not nearly enough hours, she should be on the elite path, couldn't they see what they were looking at. She was saying how much better she was than the other kids in that group and they couldn't seriously be thinking of putting her with them as most of them were useless! All the parents in the viewing area were stunned. The whole family marched out saying they would find a gym who could recognise her potential and train her elite. Turns out they can't go back to their old gym because they upset the coach saying they weren't pushing dd enough... horrible!

Sad thing with those parents is that it's the kids who pay the price and can't do what they love. :(

2 years ago, we had a girl and her mom come to our gym from what her mom called a "TOPs" program... We are a YMCA program. We compete USAG routines judged by USAG Judges... same as her "TOPs" team. Whenever someone new comes to our gym, I greet them with a warm smile. Being a Y program, we have rec classes and team practice in the same gym... however, unlike some YMCAs, we actually have a gym devoted JUST to gymnastics - so no set up and tear down for each practice.

Well, her daughter had been a Level 4 the previous season (the season we had just completed)... so we were in fun, uptraining, not super-serious mode. We had things like "kip club" for anyone who didn't have a kip and "Fly Away club" for girls who had competed Level 5, etc. Her daughter goes to school with my gymmie (the only 2 from their school in the program and we drive a half hour to get there, and she had been driving 45 minutes to an hour to get to her old gym).

The mom was badmouthing our coaches - lack of discipline, girls standing around chatting, not correcting bent arms on a very first ever kip attempt, there shouldn't be knots in the climbing rope, all kinds of stuff. And CONSTANTLY comparing our practice (which she was watching from bleachers IN the gym) to theirs (which she watched from behind glass). She came for about a month... every time knocking one thing or another. I observed her daughter. She may have gone to a gym with a TOPs program, but there was no way she was in it! She didn't have the flexibility or the skills for it. After that month, she left... I saw her daughter again last month at a school variety show. She has switched to dance - mostly tap from what I saw. Her mom was sitting 2 rows behind me. I could hear her putting down other acts after they performed (One girl did gymnastics - self-taught, no lessons ever... about Level 4-5 skills. The mother was saying she should point her toes, her daughter was better and could do that stuff 4 years ago, and on and on). It took all my strength not to turn around and tell her off.

Some mothers just like the sound of their own voices. I hope your visiting mom never returns!

Wow...that is just plain rude. She clearly has no manners and would likely be that way with any activity her DD was in. It's really sad though; the lessons she's teaching her DD will be very damaging long term. :(

I wish our crazy gym moms and dads (a couple of the dads are even crazier than the moms) were just visiting. I actually had one dad tell me TO MY FACE, "No offense to your daughter, but she and the other girls in the group are holding my daughter back. If the coaches would just push her more, she would be so much better." What??? They all look about equally clueless.

I have also noticed that a few of the kids of crazy parents routinely run off the floor and up into the bleachers to complain to their parents during practice. So-and-so is talking to me, it's too hard, I want to be in the other group, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back