Number of tumbling passes for level 9 and 10 girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Now who has got a gymnast that could pull this off. I kind of want to see it. I think it could work.

Now who has got a gymnast that could pull this off. I kind of want to see it. I think it could work.

They'd have to be very consistent on very difficult connection tumbling, if a routine is choreographed around getting all the requirements in one shot. Would really no compositional deduction apply anyway, for all of the tumbling being twisting with no double saltos? Personally I would think at say, JO nationals, a deduction should apply for that. Yes as a combo it's very hard but there are plenty of girls showing variety with 2.5 punch front AND a double salto (or more) and I think that shows more "virtuosity" as a routine. That's just my personal opinion, but I'm far from a judge (and I admit I could never do that job, my attention span is about the length of one average gymnastics routine, so none of you have to worry about me being out there on the floor).

my wife is now home. minimum is 70 seconds. the clock starts when the gymnast moves and stops when they stop.

Where is this specified?

It is without a doubt doable, and in fact not even thathard. Tons of male athletes competed back 3/2-front 1/1-front 3/2 in floor routines at level 10 during the last quadrennium, and there were a number of 14- and 15-year-old gymnasts who could do it (and do it consistently enough to compete it). I'm sure there exist female athletes who could pull off this slightly-easier version of the sequence.

Where is this specified?

It is without a doubt doable, and in fact not even thathard. Tons of male athletes competed back 3/2-front 1/1-front 3/2 in floor routines at level 10 during the last quadrennium, and there were a number of 14- and 15-year-old gymnasts who could do it (and do it consistently enough to compete it). I'm sure there exist female athletes who could pull off this slightly-easier version of the sequence.

hey geoff, the 'boss' said that's what it is. she's in bed now. i'll check with her in the morning and post it up.

So a level 8 or 9 only needs 2 passes? Never heard that before. And pretty sure there is a minimum length for floor routines, I'm gonna look it up.

A level 10 at my gym has only 2 passes in her floor routine, and she LOVES it. Gloats about it every day... "Oh, we have to do 5 of each pass? WELL I ONLY HAVE 2 PASSES!" She's so funny. :eek:
But I've never seen anyone besides her with 2 passes at level 10. Most of her routine is dance.

This discussion came up at gym yesterday, because we were just at a meet where one gym's level 8s only had 2 passes in all their routines. Every other gymnast at the level (that I've seen) has always had 3 passes. And this team's girls scored 9.4, 9.5 consistently, so obviously no deductions for only 2 passes. This is very interesting to me. But how can you get in all the requirements at level 9 or higher w/o 3 passes? my dd does double-back on one pass, double full on one pass, and front tumbling on the other pass. So she could just leave out one pass and still meet all requirements? this is really eye-opening.

This discussion came up at gym yesterday, because we were just at a meet where one gym's level 8s only had 2 passes in all their routines. Every other gymnast at the level (that I've seen) has always had 3 passes. And this team's girls scored 9.4, 9.5 consistently, so obviously no deductions for only 2 passes. This is very interesting to me. But how can you get in all the requirements at level 9 or higher w/o 3 passes? my dd does double-back on one pass, double full on one pass, and front tumbling on the other pass. So she could just leave out one pass and still meet all requirements? this is really eye-opening.

If her front tumbling pass has two different saltos in it and one of them is a B, then yes, she could remove either the double back or the double full from the routine (assuming her dance covered the rest of her requirements.

So it depends on what that front tumbling pass is and on what dance skills she has in her routine.

example: back 2 1/2 twist to punch front. then a tuck double back. you got a twist...with combination...to a D. and as long as you have met all the other various requirements this routine will score between a 9.4-9.7 depending on who is judging and the execution errors taken that day.

the reason this is smart gymnastics, and one that we follow, is cause the code in the JO program is to take something from the gymnast every time they even blink an eye. 1 less pass means one less thing to deduct. we call it "less is more" code whoring.:)

I'll add that from a judging point of view these types of routines are awesome! We love two pass routines, especially when they have directly connected saltos for bonus. If there aren't extra skills then I can't take extra deductions.

I'll add that from a judging point of view these types of routines are awesome! We love two pass routines, especially when they have directly connected saltos for bonus. If there aren't extra skills then I can't take extra deductions.

Somehow, it just doesn't seem right! I see what you're saying, but I've never seen levels 9 and 10 go that route. So do you take off for each ro, bhs, etc? What do the gymnasts do with all that extra time? The NCAA girls always do 3 passes, and Elites do 4 passes. Why is it not more common to do 2 passes after level 7? I'm concerned now, that my daughter is losing tenths on her passes and that is why she never gets that elusive 9.5, even though her skills are huge and her dance is beautiful.

and that's all that is required ^^^ cause her passes combine other requirements within her tumbling passes! very good gymnut1!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow, it just doesn't seem right! I see what you're saying, but I've never seen levels 9 and 10 go that route. So do you take off for each ro, bhs, etc? What do the gymnasts do with all that extra time? The NCAA girls always do 3 passes, and Elites do 4 passes. Why is it not more common to do 2 passes after level 7? I'm concerned now, that my daughter is losing tenths on her passes and that is why she never gets that elusive 9.5, even though her skills are huge and her dance is beautiful.

it's been this way for quite some time. you just probably haven't seen or noticed before. NCAA don't have to do 3 either. understand you have to be very good to do 2. sometimes they must do 3, with club and ncaa and elite in order to meet the requirements. they will do requirements within the requirements like 2 1/2 twist puch front. if elite they do layout or layout full to meet requirements or to gain difficulty bonus.

how to they fill? they don't. the routines tend to be shorter music wise and music is shortened as much as 15 seconds. unless you time floor routines, you wouldn't notice this either. i don't remember what level your athlete is. tell me the level and i'll tell you what she must do provided she meets ALL other requirements for dance, jumps, turns, etc; and such.

I got curious, so I went to look at my handbook. Unfortunately here in the UK the rules state 'minimum 2 acro lines for dismount to be counted' at all levels, from pre-novice to modified FIG. At pre-noive an acro line can be counted evem if it only contains 1 skill, but there still must be 2 lines. Pity, that!

how to they fill? they don't. the routines tend to be shorter music wise and music is shortened as much as 15 seconds. unless you time floor routines, you wouldn't notice this either. i don't remember what level your athlete is. tell me the level and i'll tell you what she must do provided she meets ALL other requirements for dance, jumps, turns, etc; and such.

Very interesting. My daughter is level 9, and she is really good, just can't score higher than a 9.35. It's frustrating. I could provide a link or two on YouTube in a message if you'd like to see her floor last year level 9. I asked her about the 2 passes, and she says she knew that. Who knew? I just want her to get the highest score she can (provided she stays on her feet!)

Keep in mind, scores aren't everything. Her coach may want her working the third pass for developmental purposes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back