WAG Ok, who LIKES their coach??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been at 3 gyms and have only had issues with coaches at one gym. The gym I'm at in the summer while I vacation out of state has great coaches and so does the rec gym I currently go to. The coaches at what we'll call "Gym A" were not the best. Many times I'd overhear coaches talking unkindly and yelling at their gymnasts (in a not constructive way) and I could hear that across the gym were rec practices! Fortunately I've recently heard the gym is being bought by some really nice people.

Presently really like and admire the kids coaches. Make a personal habit of not getting too close (a bit hard in our small town and with three kids all L6 and up...) because it just makes for complications. Really liked DD old coach but didn't like what she ended up doing to the girls and my DD....still admire much of her coaching and wish her the best.

No one is perfect, including coaches;)

As we come to the end of our club gymnastics journey, I look back and see how incredibly important the coaches have been. "Like" is not necessarily a word that matters to me about dd's coaches; I respect them and more importantly, I trust them. If I were to tally up the time spent with coaches versus the time spent with mom and dad, I think I would find that the number for coaches is higher. This means that those coaches play a really significant role in the upbringing of an athlete. "Like" comes and goes almost with the phase of the moon; respect and trust, once earned, are there for the long-haul. Focus on getting to the respect and trust point, rather than the fleeting "like" point.

Having 2 girls at 2 different gyms in 3 different programs I can honestly say I trust and respect each and every one of the Coaches. I appreciate so much all they do to encourage and support my girls. It was not this way in the past but so happy it is now.

Like. Not love. We are in a good place now for many reasons, coaches are a big part of that. As someone else said, a little professional distance is a good thing. These coaches are much more approachable than at previous gyms.

Fuuu. Can anyone spare 2-5 of those great coaches and send them over to Germany?
I would LOVE to have enough coaches one day!

We have had a mix, over the coarse of the different gyms and programs we have been a part of.. Coaches that I dislike, but trust and respect. Coaches that I like, but don't trust or professionally respect, and we have been lucky enough to have coaches that we like, trust, and respect. Coaches are people, with their own personalities, and you can't expect to click with everyone. The trust and respect are by far more important.

Having issues isn't synonymous with disliking your coach. I'm glad to be an adult who can disagree with a coach and still like them.

Agree. ^^^^. I like my daughter's current coach. I used to really likED my daughter's former coach. But although I like my daughter's current coach, I am not completely happy. The coach I've found has very limited experience coaching Levels 9 and 10. He is perfect for Level 8 below. I think as you go up through the levels, there are more issues and/or factors in completely "loving" your coach. To those who responded that they LOVE their coaches, may I ask what level your gymnasts are and how long have you been at your current gym?

I totally get the trust thing, my daughters current coach wanted to be more then just coach to them, she wanted them to trust her enough for them to confide in her if they have any problems outside gym, my daughter has one week left with this coach and I gave a feeling that the old coach will still be there for them, especially since this was her first group of girls she coached. My daughter is moving to a group with a young coach whose first group this is and she has been spending time with my daughter and two girls who are moving into her group, she has been watching them train, spotting them on a few skills and talking to them, sort of building up a relationship of trust whilst still under the care of the old coach. This will be a whole new beginning for my daughter and this group and it will be nice to see their relationship with the new coach grow.

I totally get the trust thing, my daughters current coach wanted to be more then just coach to them, she wanted them to trust her enough for them to confide in her if they have any problems outside gym, .

Sorry that coach has issues.

Sorry that coach has issues.

Why would that be a bad thing? I disagree. A coach who truly cares for the girls is a gem, not a person with issues. My DD would have gone to two of her coaches with problems at school or at home, heaven forbid, if she felt she needed to talk. I have an amazing relationship with my girls, but I truly feel kids need other people they could trust to confide on, if needed.

Why would that be a bad thing? I disagree. A coach who truly cares for the girls is a gem, not a person with issues. My DD would have gone to two of her coaches with problems at school or at home, heaven forbid, if she felt she needed to talk. I have an amazing relationship with my girls, but I truly feel kids need other people they could trust to confide on, if needed.
If my daughter trusts an adult to confide in that adult, great.

That an adult needs that from children is entirely different. That is the issue. A coach that NEEDS to be more then a coach. Ummm no. Just coach please.

Are you saying a coach has issues if she cares about kids as something more than just gymnasts?
I am saying if a coach needs/wants a child to come to them for more than gymnastics I wonder what the coaches issues are.

Caring is one thing.

Wanting them to "come" to them, is a boundary issues. And that would concern me.

How exactly does one determine need/want with just a willingness to care about the whole child?

Personally I see it as a positive thing that DD's coach cares about her as a gymnast, a student, an only child, etc. she is so much more than just a gymnast and kids can never have too many kids caring for them and watching out for them.

How exactly does one determine need/want with just a willingness to care about the whole child?

Personally I see it as a positive thing that DD's coach cares about her as a gymnast, a student, an only child, etc. she is so much more than just a gymnast and kids can never have too many kids caring for them and watching out for them.
Really to each his own.

I would expect my daughters coach to be concerned with her overall well being. And I would expect her/him to express those concerns to me. Totally cool.

If they think they should be her point person, umm no you are overstepping.

The statement was regarding the coaches need to be more.............. Sorry if you need more, its a problem.

Oops, didn't mean to open a can if worms. What I meant was that this coach hoped that the girls would trust her enough if they were having problems at school with bullies etc, coaches spend more time with kids the parents sometimes so I totally get what the coach means.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back