Parents Parents of kiddos with anxiety, I need your help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Practice last night was good. No overflowing bathtubs! We talked a lot about how to handle the feeling that someone is laughing at you. I told her to imagine that person coming to the floor to try the skills. Honestly, we are sitting in the stands for a reason. She briefly started to become upset because she thought I was laughing at her. But, then I could see her whole demeanor change as she imagined me getting out there to do a ROBHS....I can assure you that will never happen. I was so happy to see her pull herself together instead of losing it.

I did talk with the coach briefly, but not really about the sarcasm. I, too, believe that sarcasm doesn't work with kids. But, I also think my dsughter needs to learn to understand it. I guess I have decided to wait and see. She really likes this coach and she knows that the coach likes her and wants what is best for her. As someone said, I should help my child learn to cope rather than coddle her.

Thanks for the helpful discussion,

Blue

My DD was recently Dx with general anxiety disorder also. She is 6, and will be 7 at the end of May. My DD also is having some trouble adapting to team life - she just started Level 3. I have made a point to make her aware of the areas she is strong in. I also have tried to demonstrate that everyone has a weak point (on her team, "See, "Amanda" had trouble getting her BHC on bar, but she nailed the FHC first time! See, even Amanda has things she's good at and struggles in, too!"). I also make a point to show her my own weaknesses, and stress that no one is the best at everything. Basically, I try my best to make her aware that everyone has weaknesses and strengths, and that it is ok.

We see a psych in a couple of weeks, and we are starting behavioral therapy. Planning on teaching her coping mechanisms, etc. Hoping it helps!

Hoping your DD can get through this and just enjoy gym again!

Things are going pretty well with us. For level four, our gym has two seasons with prep and USAG. The prep is in the spring with USAG in fall. I was hoping she would be ready for the prep season this spring, but just made the decision to wait until fall. That has been tough because more of the girls decided to go ahead and compete this spring, so DD was feeling a bit left out. BUT, I know that she needs to be 100% ready to compete otherwise, we will have meltdowns over that! I guess there is always going to be something to be anxious about for her.

In the meantime, we have lots and lots of talks!

Blue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back