Parents Piking in aerial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tiffany

Proud Parent
What causes the piking in side aerial? It looks great but is causing the landing to be difficult (second leg sort of swings behind first)and has to be connect to a front handspring for her series. I’ve tried to have her keep hips lifted and under body instead of piked but it’s not transferring. Any tips? Thank you!

I’d have to see a video to understand. Feel free to DM me one if you’d like.

Last edited:
I’d have to see a video to understand. Feel free to DM me one if you’d like.

For some reason when I try to attach a file it’s only allowing me to send pics….won’t let me send video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s a video…you can see she tends to land with second foot crossing in back instead of straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is just doing more of a side somi than a cartwheel. She needs to drive that second leg up over her head.

Tammy Biggs slider drills...

Really though... it's just that it needs to be a cartwheel. Try doing the aerial off of a raised surface and see if it is good. She may just be piking to pull it around.

Last edited:
She is just doing more of a side somi than a cartwheel. She need to drive that second leg up over her head.

Tammy Biggs slider drills...

Really though... it's just that it needs to be a cartwheel. Try doing the aerial off of a raised surface and see if it is good. She may just be piking to pull it around.

Thank you so much! We’ll work on this!

perhaps it would help her to spend some time practicing dive cartwheels.

Not sure if you are speaking of a traditional dive cartwheel like below. If so... this is definitely not what I would recommend for an aerial for beam. The dive forward is not correct in my opinion for an aerial on beam.

Needle kicks too. Ideally the hips should go backwards slightly on the needle kick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back