WAG Politics in the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To be clear, if your daughter is aware that you do not support her coach's "life choices" then you can be sure she does not feel empowered to make her own choices - because you've already given her the message that her coach's choices are unacceptable.
s.
I think you misunderstood. First I said I don't agree, as in I chose differently not that they are unacceptable. They choose a, I chose B. My daughter may someday chose C. All are fine. And that is exactly how we talked about it.

My daughter feeling empowered is incredibly important to me. And I am very cognizant of making sure she gets the message she is loved and accepted for who she is both verbally and non verbally. And who she is, is entirely up to her.

Sorry to tangent

Hmm- I have been pondering this all day long. Its a nice distraction from work Ha! Anyway, I was thinking it wouldn't bother me much. It is a private business, HIS private business and he has a right to support publicly who he wants. I don't think Gabby or Shawn were "used" by him- he was stating a fact- he trained both of them, period. I am sure that all of the girls and their parents signed agreements for them to do this so obviously they are ok with it. In reality he is one of the best coaches in this country- I doubt him supporting this person or that person is going to drive away any of his gymnasts. ;) And they do have the right to leave the gym if they don't like it. :) Free country and all that. FWIW I have received emails from my superiors at work telling me who I should vote for and why. I did the eye roll and moved on. It didn't make me want to quit, and this kind of stuff goes on in corporate America all the time. Pressure to give money to this particular charity or support this or that. It is just the way the world works. Finally I am quite sure that there is little to no political talk going on with the coaches/ girls. I can't imagine that there is time for that in between churning out all those top notch gymnasts! So it is likely just a random thing that popped up.

She's only 10, we live nowhere near Iowa. I was surprised she knew Liang Chow. She does have instagram, but it's monitored by me and she doesn't follow Chow's gym. Hmmm....somehow kids now everything these days.

She's only 10, we live nowhere near Iowa. I was surprised she knew Liang Chow. She does have instagram, but it's monitored by me and she doesn't follow Chow's gym. Hmmm....somehow kids now everything these days.
Yes they do. And even though she doesn't follow Chows gym, if someone she does follow liked his post, it would show up in her activity feed. We are all connected...

It doesn't bother me that he is publicly supporting a candidate. It would not be my choice to let my child participate whether I supported the candidate or not, but I can understand how other parents might not mind.

I do think he risks alienating some of his families because, as someone else pointed out, supporting a candidate does signal similar belief structure. Most adults can understand that you may be picking 'the best of the worst' when it comes to voting, but a stronger endorsement like this speaks larger volumes, IMO. If a parent or family feels strongly opposed to Jeb's platform or how he sides on votes, then they may not want to support a company that supports those values. You see people boycotting consumer goods companies all the time for issues like this, though usually related to a specific hot button issue vs. a candidate.

Has anyone considered that Liang comes from a country where voicing your political opinion, if it's not deemed acceptable, can literally be a punishable offense? We're not talking about someone who was raised in the American political system, we are talking about a person from a Communist country.

While I don't necessarily like how he chose to do this, I am glad that Mr. Chow has chosen to exercise his rights and has become involved in the political process. A ridiculously embarrassing amount of Americans take this right for granted.

Being a 1st generation child, with a parent from a communist country, I can tell you that the democratic process is a passionate thing for many of us, having seen first having what it is like to be denied that privilege.

So where I stand - Kudos Liang for getting involved, but next time make it more of a personal statement instead of involving the kids.

As for the idea of him alienating customers, I think anyone who would shun a coach with his expertise because of his political beliefs is rather close minded. If you cannot be around someone who you disagree with politically, you need to re-evaluate your life. People are not politics and there are wonderful people who have much to offer the world from every political party. I know my daughter's coaches are very vocal supporters of a candidate who I personally would like to stab with a white-hot poker, but I certainly am not going to pull her out of gym because of that.

I really can't imagine someone leaving a gym/ choosing a different gym because a coach has different political views than the costumer.... but then again I guess I'm just not that into politics.

I had totally considered the cultural element. I can cut him a bit of slack for that, but still find it way off base.

I have always thought very highly of Chow, this is just a bit too out there for me.

Would Chow need Shawn or Gabby's permission to state a fact? He was their coach when they were Olympic gold medalists. Seems pretty simple to me but I'm not an attorney.

Has anyone considered that Liang comes from a country where voicing your political opinion, if it's not deemed acceptable, can literally be a punishable offense? We're not talking about someone who was raised in the American political system, we are talking about a person from a Communist country.

While I don't necessarily like how he chose to do this, I am glad that Mr. Chow has chosen to exercise his rights and has become involved in the political process. A ridiculously embarrassing amount of Americans take this right for granted.

Being a 1st generation child, with a parent from a communist country, I can tell you that the democratic process is a passionate thing for many of us, having seen first having what it is like to be denied that privilege.

So where I stand - Kudos Liang for getting involved, but next time make it more of a personal statement instead of involving the kids.

As for the idea of him alienating customers, I think anyone who would shun a coach with his expertise because of his political beliefs is rather close minded. If you cannot be around someone who you disagree with politically, you need to re-evaluate your life. People are not politics and there are wonderful people who have much to offer the world from every political party. I know my daughter's coaches are very vocal supporters of a candidate who I personally would like to stab with a white-hot poker, but I certainly am not going to pull her out of gym because of that.
All good points. Though I think there is more to it than not wanting to "be around" people you disagree with politically. One of the great things about America is we have the opportunity to essentially "vote" with our pocketbooks. We don't silence those we disagree with, but we can choose not to financially support them. I know I do my best when possible to not shop at corporations that give money to candidates and issues that I don't support. I don't want my hard earned money going to the campaign for or against something I feel strongly about.

Now, of course, a gymnastics coach is SO much more than a "consumer good" like laundry detergent or craft supplies. I wouldn't pull my kid from a program and coach like Chow's just because of political belief I may disagree with. But it might be one small variable I would consider when deciding who to give $5000+ a year to train my kid. I would absolutely defend his first amendment right to speak his political views. But it might give me pause to know that my monetary support is part of what gives him the higher profile platform with which to make his views heard more loudly than mine.

We're talking Olympic elite level gymnastics coaching... In IOWA. Is there another gym up there that's an option if Chow's politics offend you? We're not talking Texas here, or California, or Illinois... Iowa.

Having produced 2 Olympic AA gold medalists in consecutive Olympic Games, I don't think he'll be lacking kids walking through the door no matter who he supports.

We're talking Olympic elite level gymnastics coaching... In IOWA. Is there another gym up there that's an option if Chow's politics offend you? We're not talking Texas here, or California, or Illinois... Iowa.

Having produced 2 Olympic AA gold medalists in consecutive Olympic Games, I don't think he'll be lacking kids walking through the door no matter who he supports.

While true that Mr. Chow won't likely experience much loss of business in his particular circumstance, I was generalizing the original question to the potential feelings or practical implications of any gym owner using their gymnastics persona, reputation, business (facility), and gymnasts, to publicize their political platform.

And (to a previous note), while certainly some individuals can easily put politics aside, public endorsements heavily tied to your business (perhaps especially a business centered on children) essentially serve as a kind of "branding" for the business that may or may not be an advantage in one's particular community. Enough people do take political leanings into account when making decisions around services.

To be clear, I'm not at all objecting to Chow voicing his political opinions, and I don't even object to him identifying himself as a coach of Shawn and Gabby. Chow can be as politically active as he likes, he can endorse candidates, he can tout his experience and credentials (not that his experience and credentials have anything whatsoever to do with politics, but oh well). I have no objections to any of that.

It's just that doing that doing so in the gym with kids taking part seems.... idunno, is there a less-forceful term for "sacriligous?" Like, to me the gym is place to escape outside unpleasantries. An escape from the real world, where you just go to train. Bringing stress and drama from the outside world (and presidential politics definitely qualify as "stress and drama") into the gym just doesn't seem proper to me.

di

This

And it didn't appear to be tons of Jeb signage all over the gym (of course I don't live there or go to his gym).

Its a commercial not a day in day way of life at the gym.

Cool thing is, he gets to decide what he says and who he supports. As a customer or potential customer, they are free to decide to go to Chows or not.

If we had a situation like this, it would be what I consider an awesome teachable moment for my kid. On all aspects, politics, different political points of view, speaking your mind, free speech, consequences (because sure you are free to speak your mind and sometimes there are consequences that come with), right up and including our right to participate or not, stay or go.

The commercial states it was paid for by Jeb's campaign. Could it be possible that the gym somehow benefitted from this ad campaign? Is that even allowed? I'm not saying he "paid" them but Chow could have already supported him but had not formally endorsed him and maybe their was a "donation" to the gym or something to that effect for equipment, travel, meets, etc? It all seems kind of silly to me. I don't see how a gymnastics coach endorsing you is really going to be of any help to your campaign...I'm sure that Chow is a respected member of the community and all, but he isn't involved in politics, at least not to my knowledge.

If it were my dd's gym, I would not allow her to take part in the commercial, but I certainly wouldn't object to the coach doing the commercial, or endorsing an candidate as long I I didn't feel he was pushing his political values onto the students on an ongoing basis.

[QUOTE="As for the idea of him alienating customers, I think anyone who would shun a coach with his expertise because of his political beliefs is rather close minded. If you cannot be around someone who you disagree with politically, you need to re-evaluate your life. People are not politics and there are wonderful people who have much to offer the world from every political party. I know my daughter's coaches are very vocal supporters of a candidate who I personally would like to stab with a white-hot poker, but I certainly am not going to pull her out of gym because of that."[/QUOTE]

People ARE politics. That's one of the founding basis of the democratic process. But this isn't about people per se, it's about a business. And supporting a business which is raising awareness and swaying votes for a candidate who may negatively impact my life or the lives of my friends and family doesn't have to be supported, and I don't need to 're-evaluate my life' if I choose to take my business elsewhere because of it. To say that you're passionate about the political and democratic process and then say people are close-minded for following their own political ideologies is somewhat hypocritical.

Yes, Chow is an amazing coach and I, personally, wouldn't find this an issue worth pulling my child from his gym. But I darn well would respect and understand the reasoning of parents who would do such a thing if they are politically opposed to Jeb. This is Chow supporting Jeb but it is also Chow's gym because Chow chose to allow them to come into his business and solicit his young gymnasts to participate in the ad.

Yes, I have many friends who do not agree with my beliefs, and we get along fine, even when we debate politics. If they owned businesses I would still be their friend and enjoy their personal company just as much, but I might not spend money at their business if I knew it was money that was going to be funneled (directly or indirectly) to a cause that I can't support.

Yes they do. And even though she doesn't follow Chows gym, if someone she does follow liked his post, it would show up in her activity feed. We are all connected...
Actually this is facebook's mode of operations, not instagram. What my friends "like" on instagram I don't have visibility to. It's one of the reasons why I like it. Simpler, less cluttered, less exposure to other people's crap. All you see is what they choose to post.

Actually this is facebook's mode of operations, not instagram. What my friends "like" on instagram I don't have visibility to. It's one of the reasons why I like it. Simpler, less cluttered, less exposure to other people's crap. All you see is what they choose to post.

It doesn't show up in your feed but it's easy to see what your friend's activity by going to notifications.

I would hate for any of their coaches to share strong political views. They are little sponges and would likely repeat it.
This happens in schools all across the nation, both private and public and I do think it affects the way impressionable children think.

I personally don't have a problem with the commercial. As a parent, I doubt I allow my child to do it, but I don't see a problem with other parents choosing to let their child do it. I also don't think this will affect his bottom line at all. Most people don't care enough about politics to bother them. I do take an in-depth interest in politics, but still would not switch my Dd just because an owner disagreed with my political leanings, unless it was so overwhelming in the gym that it interfered with training, which I don't think is happeneing here.

It's not shown on main page, but if you go to "Activity" then "following" you see everything the people you follow have liked or commented on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back