Parents Practices ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tmbm1019

Proud Parent
I was just curious to know if the gyms your kids practice at do all 4 events at every practice? What's the norm?

Some days they don't vault and sometimes they don't do floor. They'll do drills and such related to those, but might not actually "do" a vault or "do" a floor routine or even tumble on the floor ( may do rod floor or tumble track instead). Usually in those days there's also extra conditioning or stretching.

Much like gymbeam.

They may do components of the events but not the event or all events. Drills, tumble track, tumbling or leaps, turns. In fact they only do complete floor routines the week before the meet.

Also depends which coaches are available.

I'd say most practices, they at least do bars and beam and then floor components (maybe tumbling, maybe dance) but not always vault. All 4 events on Friday generally, though.

My daughter in level 3 practices all 4 events each practice, and spends quite a bit of time conditioning as well. My daughter in level 2 seems hit or miss depending on time and what equipment is or isn't being used by the higher level teams.

no - my gymmie only practices all 4 events the last practice before a meet. some days they will do two events, some days three. it all depends on that day's schedule. this is her 4th year and that's how it has always been. some days they don't even run through routines, just work on components. she has a list of things she has to do before she can work on anything new as well on the events. some days she gets through the list and some days she runs out of time.

We've had one gym out of six that practiced all four events at each practice. Every other seems to have some rotation in full events, but with something related to each event going on at each practice, ie basics or conditioning. The event that is done least, in our experience, is vault.

Now my ODD does artistic in privates only, and she does three events on a rotation. Bars for half of every weekly session, and beam and vault switch for the other half.

Even in rhythmic and t&t they rarely hit all events in a practice, though my YDDs old t&t gym did.

During the school year, they do all four plus conditioning, but in the summer they only do 3 to allow for more conditioning.

Reactions: sce
The event that is done least, in our experience, is vault.

My experience as well. And I am coming round to realize sometimes what I think of as vault, is not what they think as vault. They do a ton of vault drills. Not as many start to finish vaults off the table. Lots of drills starting over the summer. And just now they are starting to vault and land suks. But for months, it was bits and pieces that they were drilling.

They almost always do all 4 events at practice plus conditioning. But dd's gym has longer, less frequent practices so they have time to do them all. All of her practices are 4 or 5 hours long. They always spend at least an hour on warm-up and conditioning. Some days they only spend 20-30 minutes on the last event if they have run out of time because of a longer than normal rotation on a different event.

My daughter in level 3 practices all 4 events each practice, and spends quite a bit of time conditioning as well. My daughter in level 2 seems hit or miss depending on time and what equipment is or isn't being used by the higher level teams.

This. My DD is level 3 and they do all 4 each practice and about 40 minutes of warm up/conditioning and on their long practice day (4 hour day) they uptrain skills for level 4.

all 4 and some repeats each and every practice plus conditioning-- they rotate every 30 minutes- practice for 4.5 hours- they get tons accomplished each practice- its a well-oiled machine.

*Edited to add I was surprised to see so many programs do not hit every event every practice- I have to get out more....seriously

Apparently, length of practice doesn't correlate because mine goes 5 hours+ yet they still don't actually "do" vault each day- sometimes its just related drills an such.

Apparently, length of practice doesn't correlate because mine goes 5 hours+ yet they still don't actually "do" vault each day- sometimes its just related drills an such.
wow at 5+ hours they could spend more than one hour on each event and still have time for conditioning....but they could also add dance, cardio, etc- I wonder why vault is seemingly most common to be "left-out"- maybe drills are just as essential/less dangerous?

Reactions: sce
My dd says they do all 4 events at every practice and also conditioning during meet season, but do longer rotations of 3 events only and conditioning in a practice when it is not meet season.

wow at 5+ hours they could spend more than one hour on each event and still have time for conditioning....but they could also add dance, cardio, etc- I wonder why vault is seemingly most common to be "left-out"- maybe drills are just as essential/less dangerous?

At our gym I think it has to do with being the toughest to get done while there are rec class going on- there are often stations in the area the the kids need to run down to vault. So, they always do it on team-only day but not always the other days (usually 1 of the 2 other days I'll see/hear about it happening).

I'm gonna guess its either to save their wrists or because the drills are just as integral as actually flipping the vaults- or a combo of both.

Mine goes 30 hours, 6 days a week. She just told me they only flip vaults 4 of those days. She does day gym so it is pretty empty while she's there so it isn't a space issue either. Just a coaching style, I guess.

My experience as well. And I am coming round to realize sometimes what I think of as vault, is not what they think as vault. They do a ton of vault drills. Not as many start to finish vaults off the table. Lots of drills starting over the summer. And just now they are starting to vault and land suks. But for months, it was bits and pieces that they were drilling.
me too - not much vault but i'm guessing a lot of the drills are vault related...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back