Pre-team strength for me!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do i cope with this strength???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

BCGgymnast17

Ok well in gymnastics right now i am in a recreation class called Advanced which is the highest rec. class you can go to before you go onto pre-team or level 4.And i've been on Advanced for quite some time now!Maybe about 4 or 5 sessions and i'm starting to get to a point where no ones said anything to the team coaches about how good they think i am or anything.So we had to go to the leader of the gym and tell her how long and everything about me and gymnastics.So the leader said that i need to go every Tuesday with pre-team and work on strength with them.Slight problem though.In our recreation classes at my gym we don't do pull-ups or chin-ups and leg lifts and all of that strength.Even though i can already do a lot of it,still we hardly did any of it.So when i got to doing strength with pre-team it was really hard for me to cope with how hard the strength is for me because of course like i said i never did any.So i would like some advice on how i should cope with the strength right now.Should i try to do all of the strength, half of whaat they do to get me started, or should i just really push myself even though i've only been in that class for 2 weeks now.Please give me advice if any of you can!Thanks! :)

Just try to do all of the strenthg. It will help you in the long run. If you try do it all, you will stronger and it will get easier.

The conditioning is there to make you stronger. If you aren't doing it, you aren't getting the strength you need for the skills. If the coaches have placed you in the class, they are expecting you to do what they assign for that class. Don't cheat yourself. Do it all. There really isn't a good reason not to do all of it. Yes, it will be hard. Yes, you will be sore. Yes, it will be worth it in the end. If you really want to be noticed in a positive light by the coaches and be moved up, you should be pushing yourself.

Do as much of it as you can without getting TOO sloppy. If you are just slopping your way through then what's the point. Better to do x amount with correct shape, than xx incorrectly.

Ok thank you.I just was asking because i know that i should maybe do all the strength but i just didn't know if i should do it YET because this was just my second week.But thank you guys for letting me nknow!I appreciate it! :)

I think you should do as much as you can, muscles strengthen the fastest when worked to the point of exhaustion. But when you reach a point when you can't do it properly, then stop, you don't want to be doing it wrong, e.g. using the wrong muscles to compensate.

can you get one of those home doorway bars to practice chin ups and leg lifts at home? Also do other conditioning at home to improve faster. Ask the coach if they can give you a list of home exercises you could do each day to improve your strength.

Actually jacquie funny how you metioned that.I do have a bar that sits on the top of my doorway in my room that i do practice pull-ups and chin-ups on.The head of the gym that said i was too old for Developmental and blah blah blah also told me that i should do pilates to strengthen my core also so that i would be ready.But yes i do and have been working on that for a while also when i have the time.

Oh and i have the strength tomorrow night!!I'm so nervous!!!And some of the coached will make you do something different then the others!!!Should i be nervous?

You will try your hardest i am sure from what you have said - and the coaches will see this, and this is all they need to see at this stage! You have just moved up and cant be expected to be as strong as the others yet - but if you do basic conditioning at home regularly it will really pay off.

Oh thank you so much!!I'm just really nervous because i'm just afraid i won't be able to do it all!But thanks so much you guys for giving me advice!I appreciate it!!! :)

Oh and i think i might be moving to another gym because my gym is saying i'm too old for any other team which is rediculous.So this gym i'm moving to has no age limit!!! :)

I had the same problem as you; we hardly did any conditioning in rec so when I hit team it was suddenly WHAM!! Talk about sweat xD

At first it will be very hard but trust me, it does get easier, often at the just the point when you think you'll never get any stronger. I recently did 10 pull ups in a row, a big improvement over my average of 3-5! So don't worry. If you have trouble, just do as many as you can or explain your situation to the coach. :)

Thank you so much for telling me that.I've heard that from a lot of people and i was still sooo scared to go back to pre-team because after i came out of the gym i felt like somebody was sitting on my chest and i COULD NOT breathe.It was really rediculous!But thank you so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back