Press Handstand?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pink123

Hi-

I really want to get my press to handstand! However most of the younger kids at my gym cannot do a sitting press, and they are WAY smaller than me (I'm 14). I am lacking the strength- and probably flexibility to be able to do this skill!

Any tips or motivational statements for me? Thanks!

p.s. what kind of flexibility do you need for presses?

Presses are actually.. well, once you figure it out, they are easy.

When you learned a walk over, you might have started with your legs elevated. Do the same thing for your press.

Start on a panel mat, or even a spotting block, and learn to end portion first, and work backwards.

Remember, keep your head between your shoulders, palms push the floor. The fingers help balance you if you go too far.

It's all about leverage. Once you learn to use your body weight efficiently, the press will come naturally.

You can also start from a standing straddle and use a wall to help learn how to press up. I learned this way, but man was it painful on my head. It certainly works, though....

Good luck!

Ryan

Another good drill besides starting the press from a straddle stand against the wall is to simply start by kicking to a HS against the wall, opening your legs to straddle and lowering down as low and slow as possible. The farther your wrists are from the wall, the easier it will but the more pressure will it put on your wrists (as in they will hurt more probably).

If this is too much, you can do them in a Headstand which should be relatively easy or by elevating your head to a higher mat than your hands which should increase the difficulty.

Other than that work your straddle-L/lever, work straddle leg lifts to invert stalder/straddle-L or seated straddle leg lifts with heels off floor besides working on your upper body and shoulder strength with pushups and handstand pushups and handstand holds and dips.

The more flexible your hips and shoulders are, the easier the press will be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back