Question about US Compulsory Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I meant having to deal with 75 different pieces of music in practice at gym everyday, not at meets. I know optional level meets deal regularly with that many different pieces of music.

I meant having to deal with 75 different pieces of music in practice at gym everyday, not at meets. I know optional level meets deal regularly with that many different pieces of music.

Oh gosh no that would be a challenge. Our team has about 40 gymnasts, and they use a cd changer with a wall list and it is still crazy. Can't imagine how huge gyms manage it all.

WOAH! That's a lot! I don't think i have been at a comp with 75 gymnasts that wasn't state!

I don't think anyone here does it with CDs anymore. It's all on mp3, which makes it much, much easier. During workouts, the optional teams each have a playlist and the girls know which track number they are.

The largest session we've been to is 80 (20 per rotation). L4 music was definitely the worst. Especially the "new music" which reminds me of a horse plodding along.

well over here ( in the third world) we do use CD's. We have a cd changer and each girl gets to choose her own music for that year. We then have a "Book" that holds about 50 cds and each cd holds about 10 tracks - each girl knows her number - DD is currently CD14 track 3 and when they practice we just pop in the correct cd and with a little cueing off we go - it works for us !

well over here ( in the third world) we do use CD's. We have a cd changer and each girl gets to choose her own music for that year. We then have a "Book" that holds about 50 cds and each cd holds about 10 tracks - each girl knows her number - DD is currently CD14 track 3 and when they practice we just pop in the correct cd and with a little cueing off we go - it works for us !

Same here Margo. The girls all know their number. Coach got a 300 CD changer this year, it has liberated the coaches!

my daughter dances in festivals in the UK - it's only about 18 months since we stopped using cassettes for the music! Going out for the day with 6 pieces of solo music, each on a seperate tape, plus a spare copy of each... plus costumes, makeup/hair box, props, lunch..

Oh gosh no that would be a challenge. Our team has about 40 gymnasts, and they use a cd changer with a wall list and it is still crazy. Can't imagine how huge gyms manage it all.

We have 35 gymnasts in our artistic squad, and another 25 or so in the novice squad. We have 1 disc with all their music on. Each gymnast remembers their number and we are away! It's a pretty good system, until the disc gets scratched, or chalky, or lost! lol!
Each coach has their own group's music on a disc too, which they are supposed to keep in their folder, so we always have a back up.

my daughter dances in festivals in the UK - it's only about 18 months since we stopped using cassettes for the music! Going out for the day with 6 pieces of solo music, each on a seperate tape, plus a spare copy of each... plus costumes, makeup/hair box, props, lunch..

haha that was me when I was little - I still have all my dance music in about 4 cassette carriers! I Have no idea how, but my friend's mum always used to take me and my mum, as well as her own daughter, all our costumes, props, music etc in her mini!

Compulsory level meet music are like a chinese water torture LOL. I was so glad to finally get to the optional levels with DD.
the current music is just boring although the old L5 and one of then new level music makes me think of stripper music.

Can't wait to hear what the new music and new routines will be in 2013 when they change everything - I think they do it once ever 4 or 5 years.
No, they do it once every 8 years. After 4 years, they give you some new music for the same routine and HC chooses. They newer stuff is just dreary--it actually makes me mad and depressed to heart. It's a relief to hear the original music from 2005. My dd started at level 4--it was the first year with the new routines. 2013 is when it will change again.

Compulsory level meet music are like a chinese water torture LOL. I was so glad to finally get to the optional levels with DD.
the current music is just boring although the old L5 and one of then new level music makes me think of stripper music.

Can't wait to hear what the new music and new routines will be in 2013 when they change everything - I think they do it once ever 4 or 5 years.
We still use CDs. And ita about the new music--I hate it!!

I don't think anyone here does it with CDs anymore. It's all on mp3, which makes it much, much easier. During workouts, the optional teams each have a playlist and the girls know which track number they are.

The largest session we've been to is 80 (20 per rotation). L4 music was definitely the worst. Especially the "new music" which reminds me of a horse plodding along.

I used to think the original music for level 4 was annoying until we went to DD's first meet and heard the other one. :). What's cute is listening to DD and her friends talk about which optional's music they are choosing when they get to that stage. I think they are pretty tired of the music as well.

The only good thing I have to say about the compulsory floor music is that it really, really, really makes you appreciate getting to optionals! DD is competing L7 this year and I feel like I've passed some sort of endurance test and finally am going to get rewarded by being able to sit through a meet with different music!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back