Parents Question on moving up and then back a level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey all! I was just curious if anyone knew the USAG rules on gymnasts competing at one level for one meet, then competing at the next level for another meet, then moving back down? Ex.: competing as a level 5, the next meet as a 6, then going back to level 5. I thought that once you moved to the higher level that you had to stay there? Thanks for any info you have on this!

I believe once you compete at the higher level and acquire a qualifying score for states you must stay at that level.

My DD when she was supposed to move from L4 to L5 did both levels. We were told it was ok but once she did a sectional she was committed to that level. So she qualified for both levels to go to sectional then had to choose which she would do at sectionals she id L5 and then from that point on was committed to L5. They had 2 or 3 sectionals that season. One very early in the season, one mid season and one close to the end of the season. She qualified at the first one.

Different states have slightly different drop-back dates. But you are allowed to compete up a level (try it out), then drop back, if needed. I know for Optionals, my state has a drop-back date of February 1st. I think a general rule if if you compete State at a level, you can't drop back after that without special permission and circumstances (i.e. injury or something).

You can drop back a level during the season without penalty. Regarding the connection to the State meet, it is not a general rule, but a very specific rule in the USAG Rules & Policies. Once you have competed a level at your State meet you cannot drop back to a lower level without some very specific extenuating circumstances and the approval of your State Committee.

I noticed in my state, several level 5 s competed a level 6 meet early on, all scored above 33, then finished the year out at level 5, even doing well at level 5 states. I am assuming the level 6 meet was a score out meet for them.

You can drop back as long as it is done per the rules.

Here is an article using the old levels about competing L5 in fall...then immediate one meet of L6 in spring...L5 again next fall...then immediate L7 in spring.

Just Gymnastics Newsletter Archives Gymnastics Rules Interpretations and Your Questions and Answers

================== FEATURE ARTICLE ====================

2)"Is It Fair?" - by Judy Schalk - Brevet Judge
(Repeat L-5 and Move to L-7)

===========================================================
Repeating Level 5 has been a hot issue with so many for so long that it warrants
special consideration. In my August issue I quoted the newly published statement
from USAG on their philosophy of fair play in the matter of "mobility," i.e.,
when to move up to the next level. It states that once a high level of proficiency
is achieved at a level, the gymnast should move to the next level when she can
do so safely.

USAG, not wanting to force gymnasts out of a program because, for whatever
reason, they can't make the commitment to go to the next level, no longer has
mandatory "move up" scores. Therefore, clubs have developed their own program
strategies for mobility. The following scenario submitted by a reader lends to an
explanation of the current mobility regulations.

Q.) I would like to know the rules for competing a level and then moving down
to compete another level, or skipping a level altogether. My colleagues and I,
as well as several other coaches from other gyms have noticed that a particular
gym in our area will compete their girls as Level 5's, skip level 6, and then compete
Level 7. Or, they will compete Level 5, then compete one meet as a Level 6 and
then compete Level 5 again for the remainder of the season, then move immediately
to Level 7 after the Level 5 season is complete again. We have had several
complaints about this from parents that not only go to our gym and compete against
these kids, but also the parents of the kids who attend the other gym that skips
and repeats levels. As a newer coach, I am not sure what to tell these parents. I
assume that moving down a level after competing a higher level (I.e. Level 6 back
to Level 5) is against the rules.

Also, this team was Level 5 Team State Champions last year. About 5 of the girls on
that Level 5 State Team were competing Level 7 no later than 2 months after. This,
without competing a Level 6 meet first, this information was confirmed by a parent
whose gymnast was part of that squad of girls who went directly from Level 5 to Level 7.

Please clarify with me if this is indeed against the rules, and if so, what disciplinary
actions can be taken? I assume that this is definitely against the spirit of the JO
program since it is holding girls back from progressing, or progressing incorrectly.

A.) Some clubs choose to only compete one meet at Level 6 just to get a mobility
score and move directly to Level 7. They may prefer to spend their time more productively
working L-7 skills while just competing L-5 meets to remain competition-sharp. According
to the rules, this strategy is allowable.

With the exception of skipping Level 6 entirely, never getting a mobility score, the rest
of what you described is legal. Here are the Mobility and Dropping Back rules that apply.
- Athletes may not skip any level. They must advance one level at a time by scoring the
minimum mobility score at any USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition.
(Rules & Policies, p. 19, II., A., 3.)
- Once a gymnast has competed in a Sectional meet, she may NOT drop back to a lower
level in the same competitive season.
--- If no Sectional meet is held, the State Administrative Committee must determine prior
to the beginning of the competitive year, a designated "declaration" date for each level
for such purpose. (Rules & Policies, p. 21, C., 1.)

This means that a L-5 may compete in a L-6 meet before Sectionals (or the designated
"drop back" date), then finish the season as a L-5. Having already received her L-6 mobility
score in that one L-6 meet, she may move to L-7 as soon as she leaves L-5.

Are you sure there was NO L-6 meet in the past where some of these athletes may have
acquired their mobility score to move to L-7. I would assume that a coach who uses this
strategy would understand this requirement. You must contact your USAG State Chairperson
with this concern if further action is to be taken.

Considering the ramifications you described, I assume that's what led USAG to come out
with a statement on their philosophy of mobility. The issue of "good sportsmanship and
fairness to all athletes" may be in jeopardy. I don't believe that simply professing a
philosophy is enough to deal with real issues when regulations clearly permit the strategy.

Judge Judy

I noticed in my state, several level 5 s competed a level 6 meet early on, all scored above 33, then finished the year out at level 5, even doing well at level 5 states. I am assuming the level 6 meet was a score out meet for them.

What does that mean, "score out meet?" Also, since they scored above 33 in the L6 meet, as you mentioned, does that mean they could then compete at level 7 during the following season? Thanks for any info, I'm curious :)

What does that mean, "score out meet?" Also, since they scored above 33 in the L6 meet, as you mentioned, does that mean they could then compete at level 7 during the following season? Thanks for any info, I'm curious :)

There are gyms who don't do a whole season of level 6, so they will have their girls do a meet to get the mobility score (31). They move on to optionals. This year, it seems with the new changes taking effect in August, more gyms are testing their girls out to move on to the new 6 or 7. DD's group tested out last month.

This sounds exactly like what my gym did this year. They made ALL 1st year level 5s repeat, despite the fact that most if not all are doing backwalkovers and back handsprings on beam, full level 6 bar routines and layouts on floor. Then they just had judges come in and do a score out meet for level 6 and they will either be competing new 6 or 7 this season coming up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back