Parents questioning preteam DD's commitment/dedication

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kids love gymnastics an the idea if not doing it anymore is enough to make all 3 of them tear up. But none if them practice much at home. I mean, if there is a new skill they are excited about they will do stretching/ conditioning at home; but normally they won't do more than normal stuff at home - lots of cartwheels, handstands and forward / backward rolls; but nothing that is practicing for the levels they are now.

Don't read to much into it. Not practicing at home is not an indicator of commitment or interest. And she doesn't have to be Olympic bound(at age 6!) To find love and happiness in this sport. That's like saying you won't let your 5 year old play tee ball bc he doesn't always carry his bat around and will never make the major leagues. There is value in kids playing sports. Of all kinds. On all commitment levels. I especially think gymnastics is the key sport. I've seen lots of kids quit gym and move to another sport and be VERY good at it bc they are so disciplined, physically fit and have great body awareness.

My dd's aged 7 and 10 do not really practice at home, my youngest will do any conditioning homework that is required and will sometimes do some pull-ups and leg lifts on her pull up bar, my oldest will also sometimes use the pull-up bar. Sometimes they will get the mat out and do handstands, cartwheels, forwards and backwards rolls and practice their beam stuff on the taped line a roses the mat.

After some of the things that I have read on here I used to doubt my dd's love for gymnastics but after watching them at home and taking notice of the things that they do I have come to realise that gymnastics has got under the skin so to speak, as I type they are playing with their barbies and making the barbies do gymnastics related things and having the barbies doing split competitions and doing fake competitions with them with deductions for form etc, my oldest loves writing stories and has written several gymnastics stories and my youngest cannot go through the day without being upside down etc. My youngest has been doing dance since she was 5 but she rarely dances or practices outside the studio and never really practiced much for her exam earlier this year, her heart is more into gymnastics.

My girls don't practice at home but they do gymnastics frequently. They love making up routines. I wouldn't worry though every child is different.

I wouldn't say that just because a kid doesn't practice at home means they aren't a determined little gymnast. Many coaches frown on practicing at home as actively tell the kids gym stays at the gym. But if you are worried about the time and commitment that pre-team level 2-3 already requires then I might reconsider letting her start team at all. The time and money just continues to increase as time goes on.

Does she look forward to gymnastics practice days? Does she seem eager to go to practice? I think that is a better indication of her love and commitment than practicing at home.

Mine doesn't practice at home that much. She does occasionally, on her own terms, but I never make her, and that is how I want it. For her, being on gym team has sooo many more benefits than just being an awesome gymnast and making high scores. She probably won't ever be any kind of super star, and I am okay with that. Though it is nice to see them do impressive tricks and get strong, for us, this is only part of the picture. My daughter has Aspergers and ADHD, and gymnastics has helped her become more social and develop body awareness and coordination. It has also helped her self-esteem. She loves to impress kids at the playground with her strength and skills, but only does things on her own if they are really fun to her, like new skills.

I wouldn't worry about your daughter not practicing at home, and certainly wouldn't force it. Be patient, wait a year, then you will know better if she likes it enough and is benefitting enough in other ways for her to continue with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back