Questions on becoming a Judge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding the process involved in becoming a judge.

1) On the USAG website, there are no listed locations for the Judge's Accreditation test, all sites listed are on the east side of the nation. Does the testing, like the Regional Congresses, sweep through the nation and eventually come to the west coast? Or do all Judges in California have to fly out of state to take the written/practical tests?

2) What is the test like/about? Do they expect you to remember all of the routines for all of the events? Are we not supposed to know exactly what we should study in the Compulsories text/Code of Points?

3) At Congress, if I wanted to test for a 5/6 compulsory as well as a 7/8 optional judges rating, would that be possible or are the tests at the same time i.e. you can't qualify for both in one testing session? Or do the tests run for an extended period of time?

4) When does the judging cycle start? I know after you have your ratings and are part of the appropriate associations, they ask for your availability so they can start scheduling you for meets. Is there a deadline to be registered as an official judge? Or can you become a judge at any time and begin getting scheduled at any time during the year?

5) I understand that as a new judge, you probably won't be scheduled for that many meets - assuming you tell the association that you have all the time in the world, how many hours could you realistically expect to be scheduled for? Or does this depend heavily on your performance as a judge?

Thanks in advanced for any information you can give!

Hi! It's great you are considering becoming a judge. I hope I can give you some answers to point you in the right direction.
1) There are tests all over the country. There will likely be a test in your general driving area sometime before the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. My recommendation is to look at either your state or regional NAWGJ website and find the email address for your state judging director. Email the SJD and they will be able to keep you in the loop for when tests are offered. I know our SJD doesn't necessarily schedule tests unless she knows people are interested in taking it.

2) The written tests are all 50 multiple choice questions. 10 questions for each event and 10 general rule/deduction questions. For UB, BB & FX you are expected to know the routines as well as deductions specific to the skills in those routines (split angle, cast angle, holding deductions for beam, etc.) AND general deductions (legs, arms, dynamics, etc.) The questions are often something like: "What would the maximum deductions be for a gymnast who does not hold her L5 handstand on BB for 2 seconds, has bent legs and has a balance error?" You won't know exactly what to study because the tests change, but for the 5/6 test study: a) order of value parts in the routines b) element values c) general deductions d) element specific deductions e) head judge deductions. Download a program called GYMQUEST and it is super helpful when studying.

3) You can usually take more than one test at a time. If you are trying to get 5/6 & 7/8 you will have to take THREE tests. Two written and one practical where you judge a video for the 7/8 test (but the video is only of L8.) I've done that exact thing and it is a beast because many deductions differ between 5/6 and optionals. So, you have to remember what is different...but I passed so it is absolutely possible.

4) It all depends on your area and your assigner. In my area judges are assigned on a three week basis, so we don't know what meets we are judging until 3 weeks prior to the meets, so if you were new in our area you could come in at any time of the year and start getting meets. Some areas assign all their meets in early fall, so it would be more important to let your assigner know you are planning to take the test in that type of area. You best best again: contact your SJD and they will be able to point you in the right direction to talk to the assigner in your area. Assigners are usually really happy to hear from new judges and will often help you study...just to make sure they actually do get an additional judge!!!

5) It all depends on how many meets are in your area and how many current judges there are. My first year I had about 5 meets. I'm in an area with a lot of meets, but also a lot of judges. Now I can judge up to 30-45 meets a year (if I'm judging HS as well.) Your assignment does not necessarily reflect your performance, but rather your seniority. The only way your actual performance effects your assignment is if meet directors specifically request you or request you do not have the meet. This doesn't happen that often and is actually usually more for mileage reasons than anything else.

OK...again...hope I've helped. Getting into judging can be overwhelming and it does feel like there is a definite lack of information out there. However, if you contact your SJD that will help you immensely!!

Incredibly helpful, thank you!

It sounds like a fun challenge, memorizing all those deductions, I'm up for it though. Also, I'm glad to hear from multiple sources that the veteran judges/head judges/assigners are typically kind to newbie coaches as to not scare them off, on top of the feeling of being overwhelmed, having to vie for spots in a super-competitive atmosphere would be stressful to say the least.

I'll look into getting Gymquest, sounds really helpful!

One last thing, I looked on the NAWGJ/ THE NEXT GENERATION……  J site, and it announced that Cindy Lord was Region 1's new RJD.

I cannot find any contact information for my RJD and/or SJD, however I'm guessing this is because they're between cycles? Or am I just looking in the wrong place....

Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back