WAG Reasonable time to get a meet schedule. VENT!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just had to revive this thread as we are less than three weeks out from an out of state meet that still has not posted a schedule (online or privately to the gyms).

When I see mammoth meets in February releasing schedules, while we're still looking at nothing for an mid Jan meet, my patience is at minimum.

It's not just our gymnasts we have to prep for, siblings (especially with a single parent involved) have to be prepped for as well.

This isn't a state meet or regionals where you've only had a few weeks preparation. Registration closed over a month ago, show some respect and post a freaking schedule.

Just had to revive this thread as we are less than three weeks out from an out of state meet that still has not posted a schedule (online or privately to the gyms).

When I see mammoth meets in February releasing schedules, while we're still looking at nothing for an mid Jan meet, my patience is at minimum.

It's not just our gymnasts we have to prep for, siblings (especially with a single parent involved) have to be prepped for as well.

This isn't a state meet or regionals where you've only had a few weeks preparation. Registration closed over a month ago, show some respect and post a freaking schedule.
Well, we still don't have our official meet schedule.....it is Jan 15th......

I feel bad saying it.......lets just say it's an elite qualifier.....
I don't think there will be any food at the venue.....I will pack my cooler.

munchkin3: 434980 said:
I feel bad saying it.......lets just say it's an elite qualifier.....
I don't think there will be any food at the venue.....I will pack my cooler.
The one in the midwest posted their schedule yesterday. The one in the east has a tentative schedule posted.

Getting aggravated myself.....I'm
Looking for 2 in January. Deadlines were mid November.....get it together people! Ridiculous

I am still waiting on 2 for January. One of them had a November 15 deadline. I am an RN and can usually work my schedule around meets. If I have a months notice. I usually end up requesting most of the weekends off for Jan and Feb. It's pretty frustrating though. My older DD swam on a team and they usually had the schedule down a month in advance down to which block they would be on and when. I am not sure why they don't make the deadline a little earlier if they need the extra time. It's not like they don't know way ahead when they are having the meet. Some of our gyms have the same weekend every year.

I don't think most larger meets have any incentive to release schedules at a reasonable time. They know that parents won't call and complain because we all know not to ever call a meet director. Most of the coaches don't have the same issues as the parents unless they have a kid who is actually competing so they aren't likely to call their colleagues and complain. And the meets never ask for any feedback from parents about what we liked or didn't like or how they could improve so there isn't even that avenue for expressing our unhappiness.

I thought I read somewhere in the USAG rules that the meet schedule must be posted a minimum of 12 days before the start of the competition. I tried to find that section of the rules today but I can't seem to locate it. To me, it is nice to get the schedule early for sure, but unless they are breaking USAG rules then we really don't have a leg to stand on with our complaints!

Yes bachflyer.....I don't think it's a violation or anything......plus we have received an unofficial verbal.......but I don't trust it.
It seems that with today's easy access to information, most gyms are happy to get things out as early as possible and there have been many times in my life where the final times are tweaked a bit......say, instead of 12 now 1 etc......totally understandable.

I find it incredibly inconsiderate is all......as I said from the beginning, us parents must do everything on time OR ELSE, but god forbid expecting a real schedule in a timely fashion......oh yeah, timely is 12 days before....I forgot.....lol!

I'm traveling with a few kids with different sessions.....plane tickets and all sorts of things depend a lot on the whole schedule. I'll just pay change flight fees, who cares right? It's only my money. ;)
Oh, and contacting the gym is equivalent to The apocalypse.

I thought I read somewhere in the USAG rules that the meet schedule must be posted a minimum of 12 days before the start of the competition. I tried to find that section of the rules today but I can't seem to locate it. To me, it is nice to get the schedule early for sure, but unless they are breaking USAG rules then we really don't have a leg to stand on with our complaints!

I understand what you are saying, and yes...no formal leg to stand on unless rules are broken. BUT, dollars speak volumes and if gyms choose to not register girls to a meet next year bc parents were extremely unhappy with how a meet was run....there's the leg

munchkin3, seriously no need to jump down my throat for simply pointing out the rule. If you've ever run a meet before, you know it is not easy. These meets are almost always put on by booster clubs and parents, i.e. people who understand the expense of this sport, so no one is trying to screw with "your" money. We are all in the same boat as parents. You never know why they were late...maybe they have an entirely new board this year, maybe there were issues with the venue or the meet schedule software. Maybe they typically don't have a load of participants that travel by air (we are driving). I am sure they are trying and not purposefully being inconsiderate. We are going to the same meet, and I was waiting as anxiously as you when the date kept changing, but I actually felt we got it earlier than we've gotten others in the past. Unfortunately this sport is expensive. I can only afford to have one kid in the sport, personally, and sometimes struggle to pay my bills. We've driven to florida 4 times because we can't afford to fly, especially with last minute schedule changes. But it's the nature of the beast.

And yes, individual gyms will vote with their dollars, which is a good thing.

"munchkin3, post: 435013, member: 2158"]I will graciously be unable to attend this meet next year, due to a previous engagement.

How's that?
Or... i regret to inform you that I will be unable to attend this meet due to a lack of consideration for the parents and gymnasts lives outside of this meet.

I will graciously be unable to attend this meet next year, due to a previous engagement.

How's that?
No skin off of my back, and I don't give a darn what meet you go to. Just trying to help you understand that putting together a big meet is never without hiccups and no one is TRYING to upset you.

PS - our drive to Ozone is 9 hours and to Florida it is 24. Sometimes we just have to suck it up as parents and make the impossible happen.

Both of those have schedules out...

I guess we have been lucky. Usually a month for travel meets and 2 weeks for local. We just book the whole weekend and make a trip of it. That is the only way I can make it work and not go crazy. We booked our Florida tickets about a month ago, taking the red eye Wed night, staying until Monday. We just found out that all the boys compete Saturday. But I am not paying more to change things, so we are doing the beach, downtown disney, universal. It will be fuN!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back