Off Topic Rebecca Black's "Friday"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is sad that she has been pushed out there the way she has. Watching a kid being ripped apart all over the internet is pretty sad. She is not a terrible singer, but she is not going to make money off her voice. The song makes me want to weep.

Haha this is the talk of my school! It's an annoying song with poor lyrics, and the music video is terrible too. But I do feel awful for her! She is getting bashed so much and is only like what, 12? I do think she is like Bieber, who got fame from youtube!

I do feel a little sorry for her, because she clearly did not know what she was getting herself into. But her parents should have. I honestly can't believe they paid $2,000 for such a crappy song, and then had it published. They wanted their daughter to be famous....and they sure got it alright. Clearly the parents thought this through and endorsed this idea if they were willing to spend that much money.

But really, this is probably the best thing that ever happened to her...attention is attention, even if it is negative. Half of the overly negative comments are probably people that are jealous and wish they were world famous like Rebecca. I mean, if a singer as awful as Justin Bieber can be so successful, I'm sure Rebecca Black can be too if she plays her cards right.

Ok the song is terrible there is no doubt about it. That isn't to say that she doesn't have any talent. It just isn't expressed in this song.

If they didn't do all that crap to her voice and she sung a better song, she could be a decent singer. It's sad that she is like 13 and some people are being so mean to this kid.

This -- not just the song itself, but the story behind it -- exemplifies everything I hate about pop music.

Everything about the music is terrible. Even her singing -- I'm sorry to say it, but if you sound that bad even after that much postproduction (and it's clear from listening that the vocals were HEAVILY processed and cleaned up), singing probably shouldn't be your career of choice. I'm sorry, I know it's a mean thing to say, but life isn't fair, and some people just weren't meant to sing. Rebecka Black is one of those people. Or at the very least, she needs a lot more vocal training.

But this pales in comparison to the story behind the video behind it. She's the product of a "star factory." The fact that you can buy stardom for $2000 without actually taking any part whtsoever in the creative process... THAT is everything that is wrong with pop culture right now. Studios come up with a prepackaged song which is deliberately written to be as generic as possible, and then they find some young teenage girl they can package it up with and then send it out to MTV and bang! Instant hit! No actual creativity occurs anywhere in the process.

SO in that sense, yes, she is the next Justin Beiber/Brittany Spears/insert-manufactured-teenybopper-idol-here.

Last edited:
I hear ya GT! This over night pop-star thing has been going on for years. Remember "The Monkees"??? I loved them when I was a kid!!! They we're a band formed just to fit the needs of a TV show! TV producers wanted a 'Beatles like' band to do a TV series & The Monkees is what they came up with! The more things change...the more they stay the same:rolleyes:, LOL! But at least they were 'older' young men, not 12yr olds.

The list of 'teen idols' is endless!!! Unfortunately, most don't have happy ending:(. Why anyone would put their 12yr old out on the internet, basically throwing them to the wolves, kind of boggles my mind? Don't they ever watch those "Where are they now?" shows on VH1??? This 'teen idol' thing rarely has a good long term out come:(.

Yes, I've heard that too, about she being the next JB.
Honestly, I don't like him.
I also don't like this song, the lyrics or the video. I don't think she can sing well, but it's probably because of the song.
Hope she comes out with something better.

i feel bad for her.. people make fun of all the time! it must be awful, shes only thirteen years old. Her parents made a HUGE mistake doing this music video for her. This song just an't for her! She sounds like she might have a good voice though.

It wasn't the song. I have 6 kids, and am honest with all of them--no sugar-coating just because they're kids (but in a nice way). Her voice is so nasal and flat. She doesn't look comfortable at all, very robotic (doesn't have the "drama gene" you need in show biz), and rather uninteresting. She is very pretty, though, so maybe they should try modeling or pageants if they want to get her out there in the public eye. This is a forced attempt to be famous, and it is sad. Poor girl.

i feel bad for her.. people make fun of all the time! it must be awful, shes only thirteen years old. Her parents made a HUGE mistake doing this music video for her. This song just an't for her! She sounds like she might have a good voice though.
I totally agree! Everyone at school and on facebook is talking about her and i just feel so bad for her. Can you imagine if that was you? But I don't think it's the song. I also agree with GAgymmom she should find a different talent.

Her voice itself isn't that bad in my opinion, though it is kind of annoying (it may not be fully mature as she is pretty young). It isn't much worse than other pop stars', anyway. The video wasn't even that bad, though it definitely wasn't very good. It was the lyrics. They were so... unintelligent. Seriously, "which seat can I take" like it's some kind of big decision? Still, I can't believe how mean some people are being about it. As if you didn't write idiotic songs when you were 13... The only difference is your parents didn't get it into their heads to popularize them.

I'm sorry to say it, but.... yes, her voice actually is that bad. That cringe-inducing nasal quality to her voice didn't come from bad production, it came from bad singing. As somebody who has spent significant time in studios producing music, I can tell you what comes from post-recording production and what comes from the performance itself. The complete lack of any expressive dynamics comes from production, but the dreadful tone/timbre comes from the singer, and there's little that can be done to fix that post-recording.

Also, the producers clearly pitch-corrected the daylights out of her singing, while trying to hide the fact that they were doing so, which suggests that her singing was probably horribly off-key to begin with.

Life isn't fair. Some people weren't meant to sing. Rebecca Black is one such person.

Actually I'm pretty jealous of this girl! I wish trying to decide where to sit in the car was the most difficult decision I had to make in life:rolleyes:!!! LOL!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back