Results

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh I'm sure there are - there are also a few new names I think - will be interesting to see the results - some strong competition

I know it is weird but I always feel that compulsory 2 and 1 are more about passing and moving along the pathway to the British and less about being a competition in its own right. Maybe because previously it was a relatively small competition.

I know it is weird but I always feel that compulsory 2 and 1 are more about passing and moving along the pathway to the British and less about being a competition in its own right. Maybe because previously it was a relatively small competition.
I think you are right - I think the focus is passing the level! with the ultimate goal of reaching the British. They are all still very young - some only 10 when it comes to Level 2 so there is a long way to go :)

If you pass complusory 2 do you get to go to the British? Or if you qualify to national finals do you get a place then?

If you pass complusory 2 do you get to go to the British? Or if you qualify to national finals do you get a place then?

Not any more. You now have to pass compulsory 1 as well. Once you have passed compulsory 1 you may enter the British at your respective age group (Espoir, Junior or Senior).

Not sure what you mean by national finals? Compulsory 2 and 1 are direct entry to a national competition (I suppose you could call it a final). Regions often run Compulsory 2 and 1 competitions as warm ups for the real thing but they are not a qualifier as such. They are not linked in any way score wise to the 'proper' Compulsory 2 and 1 levels being held next weekend.

Aw I thought the comp 2 and 1 that was held in Our region a while ago was that they passed and they now going to the final (the top 5)

No it used to be if you passed level 2 you went to the British. Now its straight to nationals for level 2 which you need to pass to do level 1 the following year and if you pass level 1 you get to compete at the British as an espoir at the end of the year
Usually the regionals is just a control comp

No it used to be if you passed level 2 you went to the British. Now its straight to nationals for level 2 which you need to pass to do level 1 the following year and if you pass level 1 you get to compete at the British as an espoir at the end of the year
Usually the regionals is just a control comp

You don't have to do it in age anymore so might not go in as espoir. You also can take more than a year between then now.

It always was " straight to nationals". For compulsory 2.

You don't have to do it in age anymore so might not go in as espoir. You also can take more than a year between then now.

It always was " straight to nationals". For compulsory 2.
Yes that's very true, it was always straight to Nationals :) I wonder why some go down the out of age route and others go to NDP route - all very confusing sometimes ;)

So now you can go L1- nationals, espoir/junior/senior?

Wouldn't it be a big jump to compete L1 then go straight to senior british? I don't know the requirements for L1 but was assuming not to different to espoir. Although I would think it's easier to pass L1 than it is to qualify via challenge cup? Doesn't the OOA pathway make challenge cup a bit redundant?

Sometimes I do think the L1-L10 with everyone on the same pathway would be far easier! There are enough invitationals around these days that even if you don't want to commit to a level pathway you could do 3 or 4 big comps a year.

So now you can go L1- nationals, espoir/junior/senior?

yes

Wouldn't it be a big jump to compete L1 then go straight to senior british? I don't know the requirements for L1 but was assuming not to different to espoir.

Yes massive. Could be a very nasty shock if not prepared.

Although I would think it's easier to pass L1 than it is to qualify via challenge cup? Doesn't the OOA pathway make challenge cup a bit redundant?

No not redundant. There are gymnasts who do not have high enough level skills on all pieces to feel confident at the British Seniors. There are others who can medal on pieces at Challenge and do well AA who would struggle and feel out of place at the British Seniors. Many of these gymnasts are happy to compete at Challenge level, it is more appropriate for them. For many girls Challenge Cup is a worthy goal in itself. I will be honest I see gymnasts at the bottom end of the British sometimes that look very out of place. But they have to meet a re qualification score to stay there so I suppose it works itself out.

Sometimes I do think the L1-L10 with everyone on the same pathway would be far easier! There are enough invitationals around these days that even if you don't want to commit to a level pathway you could do 3 or 4 big comps a year.

is the pass mark at challenge harder as you get to junior and senior level? Is it easier to pass at Espoir level? im still confused why you would do ooa levels instead of NDP and vice versa - atleast they both end up at the british eventually :)

is the pass mark at challenge harder as you get to junior and senior level? Is it easier to pass at Espoir level? im still confused why you would do ooa levels instead of NDP and vice versa - atleast they both end up at the british eventually :)

Does NDP qualify to British? National final, yes, but I'm not sure you can go from NDP to Junior or senior British Championships. AFAIK you've never been able to go NDP-british, previously it's been NDP-challenge-british, now you have OOA as well.

Far too complicated!

The pass mark from challenge cup is very high. Normally only one or two qualify per year, if any.

The qualification score from the Challenge competitions is very high. Much more doable to go OOA route through comp 3 2 1. If the goal is the British then OOA route down compulsories would be the way to go IMHO.

By NPD do you mean national grades? They don't end up at the British. Not unless you score the qualification score at the Challenge cup which is an entirely different competition. The skills for national 1 are nowhere near what you would need to score at Challenge Cup to score out to the British. And many gymnasts are happy to stay at challenge cup level. Not everyone wants to compete on podium under that kind of pressure and scrutiny.

The qualification score from the Challenge competitions is very high. Much more doable to go OOA route through comp 3 2 1. If the goal is the British then OOA route down compulsories would be the way to go IMHO.

By NPD do you mean national grades? They don't end up at the British. Not unless you score the qualification score at the Challenge cup which is an entirely different competition. The skills for national 1 are nowhere near what you would need to score at Challenge Cup to score out to the British. And many gymnasts are happy to stay at challenge cup level. Not everyone wants to compete on podium under that kind of pressure and scrutiny.
I see! That makes more sense :)

The other time that the Challenge route comes into its own is for girls who blossom a little later. For example, I know of two girls who are both lovely gymnasts and but have been in smaller clubs that didn't do compulsories. They competed national grades well before realising that this path was unlikely to get them where they wanted to go, so they switched to an elite gym. Faced with the choice of going back to do level 3 then 2 and 1, starting at age 12, they're working towards challenge instead and working on on double backs etc. It's a tough ask but a better fit for them.
Otherwise I agree with Jenny that doing OOA 3,2,1 is more straightforward.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back