WAG rewarding the team with allergenic food

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For me, I think the emotional undertone is the hard part. I agree that we should do everything we can to include everyone. But to assume that because someone didn't include everyone they were being malicious or deliberate is the hard part for me. That coach may have felt HORRIBLE after that swim banquet. S/he may have gone home so mad that they screwed it up for you and your kids.

I am not arguing that people should try to include everyone. But I know taht mistakes will happen. A volunteer, in a hurry to get everything ready in their crazy world, might forget and stop at the store for some cookies for the team. To expect that they will remember everyone's allergies all the time is unrealistic.

So for me, it isn't the action or the thought that we need to consider everyone, it is the anger that someone didn't. you are assuming that they are mean, or that they are inconsiderate. That they are bullying your child because they brought something your child couldn't eat. That is the part I struggle with.

Or we could teach 20 kids to be compassionate towards team members instead of trying to "toughen up" one kid. These kids already know life isn't fair.

Food Allergy Research & Education

First, you are assuming the 20 kids are not compassionate. Second, from your posts, while your child may feel life is already isn't fair, you are teaching them to feel privileged and expect to be treated as such. And third, you are assuming the 20 have never been in a situation that has taught them that life is not fair.

The more I read your posts, the more I am convinced you have quite short-sighted. I can see you volunteering your time just to be vindictive and order all GF pizza for everyone! Seriously? Education is one thing imposing is another.

Causes of allergies: Well first of all there was the experimental advice to delay introduction of allergenic foods in infants. Recently they've had to reverse this because that protocol, given out as gospel, actually CAUSED food allergies. Oops. How (and Why) to Introduce Allergens to Your Infant - Eat + Run (usnews.com)

Crikey, I've never come across that advice before. I knew the opposite also happened, delay too long and you increase risks as the immune system is fully developed and likely to react to new stuff. Here the advice is basically post 6-months go straight to normal, full diet, just introduce a new food every few days so you know what they do react to, it they do.

I personally love dark chocolate on my s'mores! Of course you'll only like this if you like dark chocolate in general. Plus I can tell myself dark chocolate is also somewhat healthy ;)

Slightly off topic, but what bothers me about this thread is all the parents, coaches, etc here talking about how many kids have all these different food allergies. When I was growing up a zillion years ago, I didn't know of ANYBODY who had ANY food allergies. It just didn't happen. Politics and money are allowing corporations to poison our kids. It's really sad..
I truly believe that many years from now, researchers will discover that all the immunizations we give our babies in such a short period of time contributes to the increase in allergies and food sensitivities. Don't get me wrong, I am not against vaccinations, just the way they are scheduled. All of my kids have received the required ones, just on slightly revised schedules, particularly my youngest, who had some neurological issues at birth. We bombard these tiny bodies with so much at such young ages. The immune system is hyper alerted, during the exact times that these babies are being introduced to new foods. And while most babies are fine, there is a small minority whose bodies cannot handle it and fight back. This is the premise behind linking autism with immunizations. Its not a direct causation, rather a spark that sets off the immune system to respond in a very unusual way due to an (as of yet) undetected genetic defect.

However, I also believe a lot of the increase is improved medical treatment, leading to the expansion of the gene pool with people who never would have survived (or at the very least, been able to have kids) 50-75 yrs ago. Very basic "survival of the fittest" concept is no longer in play with the advancement of medicine and to some extent, social changes. Now, modern medicine is playing catch up to find ways to prevent or reduce these new problems.

Graham crackers are like a less sweet, and slightly harder, digestive. Digestive are way better. Graham crackers are used to make the base for cheesecakes it seems, they are also great for building tiny "gingerbread" houses for xmas.

Ooh I love them. I think they are more like a digestive /rich tea cross. The honey ones are best. For years I thought they were called "gram" crackers. And they are a cool shape

Cadbury is too thick for s'mores, which btw is short for some-more, as in "they are so great I want some-more.". The Cadbury chocolate won't melt right. The jersey bars are very thin. And scored so they are easy to snap apart. I personally don't like them but they are a must for camping trips.

Btw, for vegans, homemade marshmallow is easy to make. And SO much better tasting that store bought.

We refer to Hershey s as dog chocolate. Cadburys works better if you chunky grate it . The big buttons Bog mentions are however perfect. Love s'more s

I truly believe that many years from now, researchers will discover that all the immunizations we give our babies in such a short period of time contributes to the increase in allergies and food sensitivities. Don't get me wrong, I am not against vaccinations, just the way they are scheduled. All of my kids have received the required ones, just on slightly revised schedules, particularly my youngest, who had some neurological issues at birth. We bombard these tiny bodies with so much at such young ages. The immune system is hyper alerted, during the exact times that these babies are being introduced to new foods. And while most babies are fine, there is a small minority whose bodies cannot handle it and fight back. This is the premise behind linking autism with immunizations. Its not a direct causation, rather a spark that sets off the immune system to respond in a very unusual way due to an (as of yet) undetected genetic defect.

However, I also believe a lot of the increase is improved medical treatment, leading to the expansion of the gene pool with people who never would have survived (or at the very least, been able to have kids) 50-75 yrs ago. Very basic "survival of the fittest" concept is no longer in play with the advancement of medicine and to some extent, social changes. Now, modern medicine is playing catch up to find ways to prevent or reduce these new problems.

A couple people we've been too (naturalist type of people) say that the vaccinations at such a young age is what caused my stage 4 cancer as an 8 year old. Who knows if they are correct, there is no way of knowing for sure at this point, but it has been mentioned!

On a random note, I received the chicken pox vaccine three times and still ended up getting a severe case at 14 yrs old (like in my eyes and down my throat!) I also ended up getting strep and the flu at the same time due to a low immune system going even lower with chicken pox. It was quite the miserable time!

A couple people we've been too (naturalist type of people) say that the vaccinations at such a young age is what caused my stage 4 cancer as an 8 year old. Who knows if they are correct, there is no way of knowing for sure at this point, but it has been mentioned!

No. About as possible as those same vaccinations giving you the ability to back flip ;) No statistical evidence, no scientific evidence.

I truly believe that many years from now, researchers will discover that all the immunizations we give our babies in such a short period of time contributes to the increase in allergies and food sensitivities.

Most of the current evidence points the other way, that our obsession with cleanliness and hygiene leaves the immune system bored and lonely. It needs something to occupy it and practice on, or it gets all hyper when it comes across anything that could possibly be foreign, and sometimes it starts on its own body.

The autism link (which of course is totally debunked now) has been attributed to pretty much every part of the vaccine, first the measles component, then the thimerosal (mercury derivative) preservative, then something else... It's now been studied and re-studied in the UK and has been proven that there is no statistical link between vaccination and autism.

All vaccinations are is a deactivated form of the virus for the immune system to recognise and respond to. No different to meeting any other virus in the street.

Mod hat firmly off and in the corner. probably being a cat bed.

Telling kids "at least you aren't disabled" is disgusting. Don't DO that. IT is wrong. It promotes the othering and discrimination against people with disabilities, because it says that Being Like That is a horrible life and all sorts of bad things.

Work on empathy without using other people as a Very Special Episode. It can be done.

Need to go hug my gym, where this thread would never happen and where our disabled and food allergic staff and athletes are people rather than vague threats of worse things.

I feel like a lot of us can understand your frustration. You added a lot of emotion and name calling and that muddied the water so to speak. I think there is a bigger lesson to be learned here though and that is sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes it's just plain craptastic.

I have been that 10 year old who can't eat pizza at a sports banquet. My parents would NEVER have allowed me to think it was a big deal. I would have gone, hung out with friends, and had a great time. I totally get food allergies, I'm allergic to red dye. As in get the Epi pen cuz my throat is swelling, I can't see out of my eyes which are swollen shut and my lips are so puffy they just split open and are now bleeding allergic. There was a lot of opportunity for a pity party then (and now) but my parents either brought something they knew was safe, or I went without (without complaint or I'd be in trouble). I learned a long time ago that sometimes we just don't get what the rest of the kids are having and that's life. I also got to do things that not all kids did. At the end of the day, if you teach your kids to celebrate the things that are important and forget the rest, you'll have happier kids!

Most importantly, I LOVE S'Mores!!!

Mod hat firmly off and in the corner. probably being a cat bed.

Telling kids "at least you aren't disabled" is disgusting. Don't DO that. IT is wrong. It promotes the othering and discrimination against people with disabilities, because it says that Being Like That is a horrible life and all sorts of bad things.

Work on empathy without using other people as a Very Special Episode. It can be done.

Need to go hug my gym, where this thread would never happen and where our disabled and food allergic staff and athletes are people rather than vague threats of worse things.

Not sure what 'othering' is (loathing?). None the less, that is exactly what my post was implying and advocating, lets all discriminate against people with disabilities, I just hate 'those people' (that's why I work with them, and have never, ever, charged a single penny for it in 20 years!). I find there is a shortage of discrimination in the world, and the more the better! Yep, that's just what I was saying. You got me! ;)
' because it says that Being Like That is a horrible life and all sorts of bad things.'
Oh, so having one of those conditions isn't so bad? Would you volunteer to trade places with them? I'm sure you would, heck, it's not that bad, they just need to toughen up a bit, right? A picnic I tell you. It isn't necessarily a 'horrible life', but let me reassure you, it's a damn tough life. I use their situations to bring perspective into my life and other people's as well, along with the incredible inspiration they provide in how they handle themselves with grace, courage, and dignity. Maybe I'm more impressed and inspired than most, because I don't feel like I would be 'man' enough to go through what they are and to keep my head high. I have a 16 year old girl who has been fighting cancer nonstop for the past 2 years. Every day she inspires me, and makes me cry all at the same time. I know in my heart I couldn't go through what she has/is going through. I'll let you tell her that it isn't that 'horrible.'
' Telling kids "at least you aren't disabled" is disgusting.'
Disgusting? Really!? Let me tell you what disgusting is. Disgusting is people who let kids live like ungrateful victims their whole lives believing they have it so bad, it's so unfair, poor me. Believe me, no matter how 'bad' you think you have it, it can always get worse.... and usually does! So my point is, if you don't already know it, look around and be thankful for what you do have, as opposed to being upset for what you don't.
Since you already 'caught' me, I guess I'll confess to an act I imagine you will consider to be the act of a horrible parent. After the first time my kids opened the refrigerator door and said 'there is nothing to eat' or 'I don't like that' I put numerous pictures of starving dying children on our refrigerator door and asked my kids 'do you think they could find something to eat in here?'. The pictures are still there after all these years, but the complaints died long ago.

Most of the current evidence points the other way, that our obsession with cleanliness and hygiene leaves the immune system bored and lonely. It needs something to occupy it and practice on, or it gets all hyper when it comes across anything that could possibly be foreign, and sometimes it starts on its own body.
. Bored and lonely... So what happens when the immune system is shocked with 4+ vaccines at the same time? It goes nuts, at least in highly sensitive kids....

The autism link (which of course is totally debunked now) has been attributed to pretty much every part of the vaccine, first the measles component, then the thimerosal (mercury derivative) preservative, then something else... It's now been studied and re-studied in the UK and has been proven that there is no statistical link between vaccination and autism.
The research out there right now is looking at the specific direct links between autism and individual vaccinations. That is not what I am talking about. I am saying that in some children, the high number of vaccinations set off heightened responses in their bodies that can lead to autism (and I believe many other conditions), if they are predisposed to it. Science doesn't know enough about autism yet to know how to research this. But they are getting closer every year. There is a higher percentage of kids with autism having adverse reactions to vaccines than their typical peers. I am not talking about severe reactions. Just Fevers, irritability, lethargy. These kids' bodies are reacting to the vaccine. And while in most kids, this is just a temporary reaction (if any at all), in predisposed kids, it turns into ongoing problems. The medical community and the government wants to ignore this because it hasn't hit epidemic proportions yet, but it will. They do not want to risk the immunization program crumbling. And I don't blame them. Like I said, I believe in immunization. I just feel there are better time schedules to adopt, especially for infants who have shown previous reactions or have red flags already.

All vaccinations are is a deactivated form of the virus for the immune system to recognise and respond to. No different to meeting any other virus in the street.
There is a complete difference between a virus you may or may not come across in public to several being given at the same time directly into the body I completely understand that most are inactivated. That just means you won't get that virus. It means nothing regarding how the vaccination alerts the immune response in predisposed kids.

There is a higher percentage of kids with autism having adverse reactions to vaccines than their typical peers. I am not talking about severe reactions. Just Fevers, irritability, lethargy. These kids' bodies are reacting to the vaccine. And while in most kids, this is just a temporary reaction (if any at all), in predisposed kids, it turns into ongoing problems.

That's kind of a chicken and egg thing though. We already know that children with autism have a high (almost universal) rate of autoimmune problems. Most children with autism today follow a gluten free diet. At least in my area, I am sure there are rural area without certain treatment options but if you live somewhere with a fairly advanced medical care system, that's pretty typical. You would expect to see gluten sensitivity, multiple chemical sensitivity, eczema, and so on.

We also know have established now that autism has a strong genetic component. That is one of the bottom lines, and this is going to be further strengthened as research links it to other neurological conditions that are typically thought of as "higher functioning" and might even often escape diagnosis in many individuals who are already adults today.

Medical researchers aren't ignoring anything, and there's no epidemic. If anything, children have died recently of diseases like whooping cough (such as infants too young to be vaccinated that were no longer protected by herd immunity because people choose to opt out of vaccines). Source. That's just one vaccine. Even treatable measles and mumps can cause severe injury like permanent blindness and loss of joint mobility. Source.

We now have better monitoring and medical treatment that has allowed infants and children who would not have made it to adulthood, or who wouldn't have procreated to live better lives. There may be a small environmental component, but as far as risks go, the risks of vaccinating (death, blindness, etc) are nothing to just brush off. And you will see this mass hysteria about autism has caused people to take viewpoints that are completely devoid of any logical risk assessment. Because vaccinations have eliminate the tragedies of these childhood diseases, they think they are nothing and there is no risk to not vaccinate so why risk any chance of autism. The problem with that logic is that they have no idea how insidious these diseases are, and in their hysteria about autism, they are risk death and permanent injury to their child.

Finally, I will say that the HYPOTHESIS that vaccines could have some link was a decent one. There are some forms of "regressive autism" where children start to develop certain skills like language skills until around 18 months, and then lose them. It's been documented. So of course this regression period coincided plus or minus a few months to vaccinations and due to the sensitivities of these children parents had noted reactions and...there we are. The hypothesis forms, but that was all it was, and upon further study it actually wasn't all that great. The most important thing to remember about this hypothesis is that the study that was trumpeted all over WAS FAKED. Not just debunked. The researcher actually FAKED the evidence. If you want to read more about it, the now discredited researcher is named Andrew Wakefield. He did it for his own personal monetary gains, and it was a disgusting thing to do, because it at the time it lent credence to the anti-vaccine movement and caused a lot of people to make decisions for their children that were risky and against medical protocols for no reason. Unfortunately today, many people still don't know the true story behind why researchers no longer support this connection, and how discredited Wakefield's work really is.

There's a lot of misinformation about autism out there. And the truth is, if you have a genetic predisposition in your family for neurological conditions, you have to understand that can manifest in many ways and over the generations will likely manifest as autism eventually. I have come to terms with that with my own family and it already has. But the risk of not vaccinating is way more riskier to me than anything. Even if they could conclusively prove a miniscule chance of causation, I would still vaccinate because the risk calculation would fall in favor of avoiding deadly diseases.

Not sure what 'othering' is (loathing?). None the less, that is exactly what my post was implying and advocating, lets all discriminate against people with disabilities, I just hate 'those people' (that's why I work with them, and have never, ever, charged a single penny for it in 20 years!). I find there is a shortage of discrimination in the world, and the more the better! Yep, that's just what I was saying. You got me! ;)
' because it says that Being Like That is a horrible life and all sorts of bad things.'
Oh, so having one of those conditions isn't so bad? Would you volunteer to trade places with them? I'm sure you would, heck, it's not that bad, they just need to toughen up a bit, right? A picnic I tell you. It isn't necessarily a 'horrible life', but let me reassure you, it's a damn tough life. I use their situations to bring perspective into my life and other people's as well, along with the incredible inspiration they provide in how they handle themselves with grace, courage, and dignity. Maybe I'm more impressed and inspired than most, because I don't feel like I would be 'man' enough to go through what they are and to keep my head high. I have a 16 year old girl who has been fighting cancer nonstop for the past 2 years. Every day she inspires me, and makes me cry all at the same time. I know in my heart I couldn't go through what she has/is going through. I'll let you tell her that it isn't that 'horrible.'
' Telling kids "at least you aren't disabled" is disgusting.'
Disgusting? Really!? Let me tell you what disgusting is. Disgusting is people who let kids live like ungrateful victims their whole lives believing they have it so bad, it's so unfair, poor me. Believe me, no matter how 'bad' you think you have it, it can always get worse.... and usually does! So my point is, if you don't already know it, look around and be thankful for what you do have, as opposed to being upset for what you don't.
Since you already 'caught' me, I guess I'll confess to an act I imagine you will consider to be the act of a horrible parent. After the first time my kids opened the refrigerator door and said 'there is nothing to eat' or 'I don't like that' I put numerous pictures of starving dying children on our refrigerator door and asked my kids 'do you think they could find something to eat in here?'. The pictures are still there after all these years, but the complaints died long ago.

You make quite the assumption assuming I & no other posters here have those conditions you're using to berate children into being better. It's a false assumption. I am not your moral lesson for your kids. Nor am I a moral lesson for the kids of others. You may not use me and my friends that way.

You can think you're a good person working with people all you want, but your attitude seems to be what many in the community you're purporting to help would call "staffish". THat's not a compliment.

Stop being ableist.

I am not judging your parenting. I am judging your attitude about people like me (shown by your using us to guilt your children) and finding it repulsive.

Hmmm. I understand your frustration regarding your kids' restricted diets. In my house, among my kids, we have dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and various raw fruits and vegetables. Yet my kids attend birthday parties, team parties, have traveled extensively, and have learned that their allergies are *their* problem, no one elses. While I more than appreciate all the people who have contacted me about special things they can bring for my kids to these various events I more than expect to have to bring something all on my own. I am also teaching my kids responsibility along the way to take control of their diet. I personally don't want someone else who is not used to dealing with these diets to do it in case of cross-contamination. In this day and age there are so many restricted diets I think it's a lot to ask *anyone* to provide something special for your children. Think of all the potential special diets: Kosher, Vegan, allergy, celiac, dye sensitivies, the list goes on. While I have sympathy for your situation I think you were lucky in the first place that they were trying to accommodate your kids in the first place. I would completely plan on bringing food for my kids as it's our "problem" to deal with.

Just some insight into the whole food allergy epidemic: All 3 of my children have food allergies. DH and I both do not have any at all. DD#1 was fed breast milk for 6 weeks via pumping due to being tongue tied. Afterwards I went back to work in addition to babysitting 4 mornings a week. She went on formula after that. She also was extremely colicky. So, my mom suggested we add in rice cereal to her bottle and start solid foods here and there. We did it much earlier than any book or doctor recommended as that is what "we" (children from 20-30 yrs ago) grew up on. Well, by age 2 she was diagnosed with her severe peanut and moderately high egg allergies. She also has allergies to cats and sulfa antibiotics. On to the next one...DS was nursed from day one until 13 mos. I delayed the solid foods til he was 6 mos, this time deciding maybe there was some truth to all that. I slowly made my way through everything, textbook style. On his first birthday I gave him yogurt for the first time. Huge rash everywhere. Shortly thereafter diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy and moderately high milk and egg allergies. At age 8 he developed oral allergy syndrome in addition to the above with various raw fruits and vegetables. Next...DD#3. Ok. This time I have to avoid allergies, I remember thinking. I once again nursed her from day one til about 13 mos. I once again waited til she was 6 mos to introduce solids. Didn't matter, she developed a severe milk allergy and a moderate soy allergy. Thankfully she outgrew the soy at age 4 but all the above allergies still stand in my family. In my own experience with my children we did formula vs. breastmilk and early solids vs. late solids and none of it made a difference from an allergy standpoint.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back