WAG ROBHS question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
My DD first started training BHS about six weeks ago for the first time. She now has her standing BHS w/o a spot and a RO-bounce-BHS w/o a spot. She is having some fear about the connection, and feels it's taking her too long to learn. She asked me to post here asking how long it took other people to get a solidly connected ROBHS. She is 12, just finished xcel bronze and has been training gymnastics for 7 months. Oh, and she has reeeaally long legs, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Honestly, at this point it would be best to just be spotted on connecting them. The spotter can gradually help less until he/she is just standing there. It will help her to feel how to properly connect the skills. Don't continue the round-off bounce backhandspring, as it builds the wrong habit.

Her coaches say that robhs can't be spotted, because of the range of movements (or something like that- I don't actually get it). She gets really frustrated and is just looking to see if she is in the normal range of time to learn. Thanks for your advice, she said she will try to "man up" and just go for it.

She should ask her coaches to go over/fine tune her round off. Many beginners, and a few advanced kids, lack any sense of rhythm or balance in their round offs. When they lack those qualities it can feel like the round off is doing the gymnast instead of the gymnast doing the round off, and that's gonna be an uncomfortable variable to work with.

Her coaches say that robhs can't be spotted, because of the range of movements (or something like that- I don't actually get it). She gets really frustrated and is just looking to see if she is in the normal range of time to learn. Thanks for your advice, she said she will try to "man up" and just go for it.
That is unfortunate that they feel that way. It totally can and should be spotted when first learning.

She is learning quite quickly by the way.

She should ask her coaches to go over/fine tune her round off. Many beginners, and a few advanced kids, lack any sense of rhythm or balance in their round offs. When they lack those qualities it can feel like the round off is doing the gymnast instead of the gymnast doing the round off, and that's gonna be an uncomfortable variable to work with.

Her coaches say her RO is great. She can do it two different types- they say- one that will be perfect for back tucks, and then the way they have her doing now that will be good for BHS. I guess it's about the rebound or something. They say she can absolutely connect them right now, it's just a fear thing.

P&F's coach used to spot ROBHS regularly, and would go from two hands fip them over to one hand to one finger to 6" away etc if they needed it. I remember P&F telling her - go away L I can do it on my own, no further, further (picture coach shuffling back on her knees)

Can she do a RO and jump to her back on higher mats to get the feeling? Or two back handsprings on track?

If the coaches are smaller females then it is understandable they may not safely be able to spot older girls on something like this. Unfortunate, but plausible.

She can do the two BHS on the trak, but I don't know they have a set up for jumping back into the mats. Her coach is an older woman, with arthritis, who is just about her size. She doesn't do a tremendous amount of spotting on anyone, for anything, really.

Just wanted to add- I let her read this thread and she accepted what was said, and went to practice today and just went for it. She got a good one and then started throwing RO back whips, but she isn't afraid anymore; and is confident she will get it this week. Bonus: she also got her front pike today. Thanks everyone!

If one is in excel they need to be doing LOTS of conditioning at home because there is little chance they are getting it at the gym. Work towards these goals and you will see ALL of her gymnastics improve. (and make sure it is with PERFECT form)

3-5 minute wall handstand with NO arching
50-100 v-ups in a row
2 minute hollow hold
10 pullups without squirming
100-200 handstand shoulder touches in a row (use a wall if necessary)
Hang on bar and hold toes on bar for 1 minute (make sure chin is on chest)
Hold inverted hang on bar (thighs on bar, straight arms, eyes looking at toes) 1 minute
1-2 minute handstand hold with no walking on ground
handstand walk 100-200 feet
20-30 leg lifts on bar or stall bars

If one cannot do everything on the above list, she should definitely not be competing in anything above USAG 5 and ideally level 4. I know your said your daughter is in bronze, but if she isn't at least half of the way towards being able to do each of these, PLEASE make sure you work on it so she is strong and not injury prone.

Regarding the round off back handspring, can she do a GOOD front handspring with nice form and arms on ears and legs straight on the landing? If not, she will not have a strong round off. Once she has a good front handspring, she will have the turnover on the round off to easily connect it to back handsprings.

Happy conditioning!

She is bronze, which I think is equivalent to maybe 2/3? They had conditioned 1 hr per class, twice a week, plus she did two additional 1 hr conditioning-only classes per week, plus she conditions at home. My hubby is a Marine and they work out together. Now that it's summer her hours are all over the place. She did 10, then 12, now about 14, next week is 15, and then two weeks of 30 hr team camp. She is lean- 5'4 and only 90lbs, but all muscle, with definition to her arms, legs, abs, and back across the shoulders. She was a ballet dancer for years prior to starting gym.

She does has a solid front handspring. As for the list, so far:

5 min wall handstand, yes
100 v-ups, easily
2 min hollow hold, easy
10 pull-ups, easy
100 handstand shoulder touches- ??? I have never seen anyone do this
Hang on bar 1 min w toes on bar, yes
Hold inverted hang on bar, I don't get this one, sorry
1-2 min handstand hold, no (about 40 sec)
Walk 100 ft handstand, no (about 40 ft, or )across the floor one way
20 leg lifts, not in a row.. Straight back to back 10-18...

She says all the time she wants to get stronger, and stronger, and I know she will keep working at it. She did connect the ROBHS today. She also has her front tuck, pike, and a weaker front layout. She just has less fear when it comes to front tumbling. She also managed her very first kip unassisted right before practice ended today. She is working extra hard while her coaches are away to impress them when they get back next week. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
She is bronze, which I think is equivalent to maybe 2/3? They had conditioned 1 hr per class, twice a week, plus she did two additional 1 hr conditioning-only classes per week, plus she conditions at home. My hubby is a Marine and they work out together. Now that it's summer her hours are all over the place. She did 10, then 12, now about 14, next week is 15, and then two weeks of 30 hr team camp. She is lean- 5'4 and only 90lbs, but all muscle, with definition to her arms, legs, abs, and back across the shoulders. She was a ballet dancer for years prior to starting gym.

100 v-ups, easily
2 min hollow hold, easy
10 pull-ups, easy

She says all the time she wants to get stronger, and stronger, and I know she will keep working at it. She did connect the ROBHS today. She also has her front tuck, pike, and a weaker front layout. She just has less fear when it comes to front tumbling. She also managed her very first kip unassisted right before practice ended today. She is working extra hard while her coaches are away to impress them when they get back next week. Thanks for your advice!

Hmmm...I've never seen Excel programs that do adequate conditioning, but perhaps this is a refreshing exception. Sounds like she is doing great, I'm glad to hear it. She should keep improving the conditioning of course, but it sounds like she is doing quite well!

This is the only video of a gymnast I found doing these

The upper position in this video is the inverted hang to hold for 1 minute. The exercise shown in the video for that matter, V hang to inverted hang, is a great one. Working up towards 8-10 in a row is a great goal!

100 v-ups, easily

2 min hollow hold, easy
10 pull-ups, easy

Mmmm...something is wrong with this picture. :) click to expand.

which is it?^^^^^^^^^^^^they are the same
100 v-ups, easily
100 handstand shoulder touches

^^^kids on the Senior National Team would kill to do this. you said your kid is Excel.

10 pull-ups, easy

if she can hang on a bar 1 minute w toes on bar, then it should say 50 pull ups are easy. the 2 as listed are not consistent.

which is it?^^^^^^^^^^^^they are the same
100 v-ups, easily
100 handstand shoulder touches

^^^kids on the Senior National Team would kill to do this. you said your kid is Excel.

10 pull-ups, easy

if she can hang on a bar 1 minute w toes on bar, then it should say 50 pull ups are easy. the 2 as listed are not consistent.

As I understand, the 5 min handstand is against the wall, the other is away from the wall?

Also, she said that she did not know what handstand shoulder touches were.

She can't do a long handstand hold without the wall to help with balance.

She can do more than ten pull ups, that's just what was asked.

V-ups? 100 v-ups is national material? I thought it was ballet/marine corps/ crossfit material. Unless I do not understand a v-up (always a possibility)

a gymnast that can hold a 5 minute handstand against a wall can also do the same on the floor away from the wall. all things being equal.

if an athlete can only hold a 40 second handstand away from the wall, this means that her body breaks down at approx 30 seconds. and then i'm supposed to believe that this same kid, excel whatever, can hold that same handstand against a wall for 5 minutes. sorry...not consistent with what i know.

She can't do a long handstand hold without the wall to help with balance.

She can do more than ten pull ups, that's just what was asked.

V-ups? 100 v-ups is national material? I thought it was ballet/marine corps/ crossfit material. Unless I do not understand a v-up (always a possibility)

yes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back