WAG ROBHS question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry I guess I don't understand your antagonism here. I know many people that can do 100 v-ups. I really either must not know what they are, or we have a completely different frame of reference for fitness. As for the handstand hold. I guess I can't help you. She can't balance that long for whatever reason, but can hold it on the wall. It is what it is. Six months ago she couldn't even do a five second handstand, so I take things as they come. But then she couldn't do anything besides a bad cartwheel when she started.

not being antagonist. i'm trying to make sense of inconsistent strength. that's all.

and are you talking about 100 v ups in a row? not in like 25 X 4 reps?

not being antagonist. i'm trying to make sense of inconsistent strength. that's all.

and are you talking about 100 v ups in a row? not in like 25 X 4 reps?

My apologies then, that was my misconception.

They typically do either two sets of 50 or 3 sets of 40, with a 5-10 sec rest. Btw, she is inconsistent in many things, and an enigma to us all. Right this very minute she is asking me to help her because she has a sudden terrible fear just thinking of robhs, even though she now knows she can do them. She is generally very smart, very strong, very driven, very curious, and very VERy anxious. Makes an interesting combo in all areas of life.

now that makes a difference. 100 v ups continuous up to 100 IS national team material. no rest.

But the bottom line is, almost no gymnasts in the US can do the conditioning list that was posted (5 min wall handstand, sorry I find it hard to believethat any gyms lower levels do this. Not in this country because we don't train in that manner esp at low levels. Maybe one minute. Maybe.). And yet a bajillion kids in the US learn back handspring every year. If a 5 min wall handstand and 100 v ups and one minute pike hold on bars was required, this country would have no level 3s, lol. Just telling it like it is.

^^ totally agree, some of the conditioning is absurd. I couldn't do all that as an Australian level 7, I'm naturally very strong as well. Now, I can probably do almost all the skills requires for the us level 4-6 from what I have seen. And I can barely do any of the said conditioning without rests.

The thing I find most baffling is that it's said in a way that is so set in stone where as I truly believe that every gymnast is going to have strengths and weaknesses and programs (including strength, flexibility and skills training) needs to be adjusted (even if slightly) to benefit the gymnast. Yes, gymnasts need to be strong, but there is an ideal strength that will differ depending on the gymnast. Anyways, that's my 2 cents..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back