WAG Sand Dollar (Orlando) or Chicago Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are suppose to vote between Orlando, Chicago & The Pink Meet in Savannah, GA for our big meet this year. Any opinions?

I've been to Chicago and Orlando, and between those two I'd say Florida was more fun. Chicago was excellent, huge meet, lots of sight-seeing in the city, but the Orlando meet is a lot more fun, and you can make more of a mini-vacation out of it.

I would actually say the Chicago meet because while the Orlando meet is a nice meet, when I travel with my daughter I don't have the rest of my family with me so I tend to view it as a business trip. I would rather go to orlando when i didn't have any "business" to attend to! The Chicago meet has a ton of stuff to do and the competition is good and it's not too expensive (in the past) to fly to.

Did you feel safe at the Chicago meet? Our coach brought that concern up at the meeting. I doubt they would host a meet in the worst part of town, but a good thing to check on! Also, how was weather?

Did you feel safe at the Chicago meet? Our coach brought that concern up at the meeting. I doubt they would host a meet in the worst part of town, but a good thing to check on! Also, how was weather?

I travel to Chicago regularly, and I have never felt "unsafe", however, I do live near NYC so maybe it's all relative?

We did Sand Dollar last year. Meet was well run. Venue was nice and good viewing but admission for spectators was on the pricey side. As for sightseeing and fun times, depends on your gym's policies regarding attending other sessions and the competition schedule. My DD and her teammates live to cheer each other on, so while we did go to Disney, we had to run back to make sure we were there in time to see the girls compete. The medals were in the shape of sea animals - a different one for each event, that was pretty cool.

We're going to Chicago. I'm sure it's an amazing meet, but given my choice between Chicago in February and Orlando in February, Orlando will win out every time. I'm not worried about "big city" safety... I'm more worried about "weather" safety. I'm afraid that either the weather will be bad on this end and we won't make it there or the weather will be bad on that end and we won't make it back (on time). One time (pre-kids) my husband and I went to Chicago to meet up with a friend for New Years and it was the coldest I have ever been. Ever. That said, it will be DD's first out-of-state meet, so for that it should be pretty exciting. But Orlando would have been out-of-state too.

The OP here have it about right. We have been to both, and it depends on what kind of experience you want. The Chicago meet is bigger and a great gymnastics experience for your dd, but Orlando in February is a winter vacation in the sun and a well-run meet as well. Good luck with your decision.

i just went to the chicago meet this year and never felt unsafe, and our hotel was close enough to walk everywhere. I've never been to the other meets though.

My dd has been to all 3 and it just depends on what kind of experience your dd and family want as to which meet is best. Going to Orlando is great, but better than Sand dollar is one called Presidental classsic run by usa competitions. It is held at Disney's sports complex. Sand dollar is sometimes hit or miss with other gyms participating. We did the courtney cupets meet 2 years ago and it was great. Old Savannah is great to tour, the meet was well run and the competition fair. We also sprung for breast cancer leos and all the girls got to wear that as their team leo. Chicago is "the big meet"It is the largest meet in the country and if your dd wants to see the competition and talent from across the country, then that is the meet. Some of the best kids will always be there. Have fun at the big meet. I am sure it will be a great season for your dd.

Sand dollar was fun as we made it a mini vacation but if we had had to come right home, it wouldn't have been as much fun. My daughter had to compete on Saturday night which blew the day for us. We were able to stay for a few more days which gave us a chance to do Disney.

Chicago is held on Navy Pier which is in the heart of downtown. The hotels are located right off the pier and there is a bus shuttle between the hotels. The area is great and I wouldn't have any fear about walking around down there. (I used to live near there and would walk everywhere).

I vote for Courtney Kupets meet. Savannah is beautiful that time of the year and the St. Patricks's Day festivities start that weekend with special events throughout the city. It is not the weekend of the big parade but the weekend before which still has lots going on. You can walk to most anyplace around the meet and River Street.

Our gym is also considering an Orlando meet this year. They competed there a few years ago and the kids and moms LOVED it. Most of the gymmies came with just their moms, so after the meet was over.....DISNEY!!! I've been told it was a great little girls trip, and I hope they choose it for our big meet this year.

My dd has been to all 3 and it just depends on what kind of experience your dd and family want as to which meet is best. Going to Orlando is great, but better than Sand dollar is one called Presidental classsic run by usa competitions. It is held at Disney's sports complex. Sand dollar is sometimes hit or miss with other gyms participating. We did the courtney cupets meet 2 years ago and it was great. Old Savannah is great to tour, the meet was well run and the competition fair. We also sprung for breast cancer leos and all the girls got to wear that as their team leo. Chicago is "the big meet"It is the largest meet in the country and if your dd wants to see the competition and talent from across the country, then that is the meet. Some of the best kids will always be there. Have fun at the big meet. I am sure it will be a great season for your dd.

What do you like better about Presidential vs Sand Dollar? More gymnast?

What do you like better about Presidential vs Sand Dollar? More gymnast?

We've been to both of these as well but I really didn't care for the Presidential Classic ...the level 10 competition was decent but the compulsory teams were mostly all from Florida....I would go back to the sand Dollar but i'd take a pass on the Presidential Classic.

As far as Chicago, I have never felt unsafe there and we've gone for many years in a row, and I've always loved that meet. When my daughter was little, we even used to do her birthday party at the American Girl Cafe so it was something different.

I vote for Courtney Kupets meet. Savannah is beautiful that time of the year and the St. Patricks's Day festivities start that weekend with special events throughout the city. It is not the weekend of the big parade but the weekend before which still has lots going on. You can walk to most anyplace around the meet and River Street.

About the parade - the pink website states that the bridge/road between the civic center and the convention center would be closed on saturday due to "the parade". And since they plan on having the meeting both places, this may be a major pain for he coaches.

We went to "Pink" last year. Awesome meet...great town. I would love to go back.

I'm amazed at traveling so far to go to a meet! Maybe we're fortunate in that there are enough good meets in this state that we don't need to leave (though some other local gyms do travel out of state).

To that end, I'd say go to Savannah (or Orlando if you're in south Alabama), as you can drive there easily.

AL doesn't have a lot of 9's & 10's so we have to travel out of state for some meets. We normally stay close...TN, GA, but we try to do one fun meet too. We are north AL so Orlando & Savannah would be a 10 hr drive or a plane ticket!

We've been to both of these as well but I really didn't care for the Presidential Classic ...the level 10 competition was decent but the compulsory teams were mostly all from Florida....I would go back to the sand Dollar but i'd take a pass on the Presidential Classic.

I don't know if the mix is changing, but the Barbados team competed compulsories last year at the Presidential, and there were several other countries also competing compulsories, and also several states. So it seemed to be a really international event!

It is a huge meet, and not that cheap for spectators. But we enjoyed it, maybe because it was the biggest meet we had ever been to and we were glad for the experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back