Parents Scoring low in first 3 competitions..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And you also never know what path those level 3 girls are on...in our area one of the girls scoring 37-38 at level 3 in March/April of this year has now been named to the DIC national team (so one of the best TOPS girls in the country)...so it's really hard to compare. Now, as for the OP, if my DD were doing 20 hours at level 3 and still scoring 34-35, I would be concerned. If she just isn't placing top 3 or whatever, maybe not so much. You really need to give us more information.

I would guess that the top half of DD's (LARGE) level 3 team is probably nearing 37, if not hitting 37 and 38s this early in the season. However, their state meet is in December. They do 12 hours per week. I would hope that if the team were doing 20 hours per week, the majority of the team would be in the 37-38 range AND would have most of their level 4 skills nearly competition ready.

That's a lot of hours to expect kids to be in the gym,and even more crazy if they are not attempting to move them through levels quickly (without sacrificing technical quality in order to do so).

At 20 hours for level 3, I would expect a gym to have elite hope for that group of kids. Not saying I agree with that methodology, but that is the only scenario I can even see 20 hours at this level remotely making sense.

Actually 39s and 38s are common for L3. Scores tend to drop off and settle in after level 3

Scores went from 34 to 39, excluding the 26 outlier. Again, if the OP is saying her daughter is scoring lower in the meet. That would put her in the 34 range. Which is a fine score.

Really dazzling at L3 is no indication of future performance. Many kids can dazzle at level 3, less at 4, then less at 5, then less at 6 and so on.

True true! We just don't see high L3 scores like that around here. A 37 scoring L3 around here would be outstanding, probably top of the entire meet at most meets, most winning at L3 are in the 36 range, sometimes even 35's at a smaller meet. And absolutely nothing wrong for being in the 34 range at L3 (or any other level for that matter.)

And you also never know what path those level 3 girls are on...in our area one of the girls scoring 37-38 at level 3 in March/April of this year has now been named to the DIC national team (so one of the best TOPS girls in the country)...so it's really hard to compare. Now, as for the OP, if my DD were doing 20 hours at level 3 and still scoring 34-35, I would be concerned. If she just isn't placing top 3 or whatever, maybe not so much. You really need to give us more information.

I'd kinda suspect this DIC kid had MUCH higher skills than L3 when she got those scores. Maybe she was L3 cause her age prevented her from competing higher that year? I bet real soon she's gonna come out competing L7 as an 7 year old getting a 39 at some major meet.

True true! We just don't see high L3 scores like that around here. A 37 scoring L3 around here would be outstanding, probably top of the entire meet at most meets, most winning at L3 are in the 36 range, sometimes even 35's at a smaller meet. And absolutely nothing wrong for being in the 34 range at L3 (or any other level for that matter.)
And we don't know how many of those kids are repeating, how long they have been training and how far into their season they are. The real point was not everyone at the meet was in the 38 range.

And it would be interesting to see how many continue on and for how long.

I do know that L3 meets were really crowded and multiple sessions. L5, we have lots of room at meets.

This like much in life, is a marathon not a sprint.

I'd kinda suspect this DIC kid had MUCH higher skills than L3 when she got those scores. Maybe she was L3 cause her age prevented her from competing higher that year? I bet real soon she's gonna come out competing L7 as an 7 year old getting a 39 at some major meet.

I definitely agree she probably had much higher skills, but it wasn't an age thing. She was definitely at least 7, so you wonder if it was "sandbagging" or if maybe she just made huge gains over the summer. Doesn't really matter either way, I just think it's interesting.

And we don't know how many of those kids are repeating, how long they have been training and how far into their season they are. The real point was not everyone at the meet was in the 38 range.

And it would be interesting to see how many continue on and for how long.

I do know that L3 meets were really crowded and multiple sessions. L5, we have lots of room at meets.

This like much in life, is a marathon not a sprint.
Actually if you look at the scores of the whole meet. There are no 39s at level 4 and much less 38s. Then you get to level 5 where the gymmies drop by a third and there are no 38 or 39 scores.

This has pretty much been our experience so far.

I'm gonna step out on a ledge and assume all those 3s didn't head off to 6 and higher.

Really I wouldn't bet on longevity based on scores in L3 at all...................

And I am currently watching 2 or our lowest scoring kids on our small team starting to blossom at L5, while a bunch of kids better then them a L3 and L4 are off doing other things.

Hello!

Dd works out with her L3 team 20 hours a week and this is her first competition season with them. She's placed in the lower half of her first 2 competitions and scored almost last in her most recent (the 3rd) competition, and I just wondered is this normal and/or ok for a first-season competitor? Or, does dd maybe just not have what it takes to do well in this sport? I am clueless with gymnastics- I was a ballerina and figure skater as a kid. I just know that her teammates all score in the top 3 spots for their age groups and I just don't know why Dd keeps scoring low.

I just want Dd to be proud of herself for trying her best and, of course, I support her in doing gym no matter what score she gets. And I always tell her she did a beautiful job and I'm so proud of her for working so hard and doing her best. But I feel bad for her since she's come back crying and so disappointed after these 3 competitions and I just wonder about it all.

Her coaches are all pretty untouchable at our gym, but I did text one and asked her if she knew why Dd wasn't scoring well and she said "it's just all the details she needs to work on." Do kids get better sometimes as they age or move up levels? I think she looks great at practices (ha- what do I know, tho? :D), but Dd does say she is very nervous and sick to her stomach the whole time on competition days.

Could she maybe have a better time in L4 next year, since she has most of her L4 skills completed now? (most likely they'll move her up next summer). Is it common for kids to sometimes score low their first year and then start scoring better in their second with more practice and time? Do you think a private lesson could help (pretty expensive- almost $100 per hour)?

Thanks,
Eliza
My lv 8 daughter just started training 20 hours at the beginning of this summer...so I am repeating the "20 hours at lv 3 is excessive".

So, here are some things to consider,

*some kids just aren't great at compulsory levels and excel at optionals.

*too many hours, too tired!

*she's new to the sport, she just might be finding her groove

*our gym doesn't allow privates for team girls, $100 seem high!

*is she having fun, because ultimately, that's ALL that matters!

Would need more info to tell. How old is she? 20 hours is a lot, about twice what my 6-7 year old level 3s practice. Maybe they focus more on level 4/5 skills than level 3 routines though. She also might just need more time or a second season of level 3 if she didn't quite have the same skills or experience as the other girls she moved up with. But does the hour commitment go up in level 4/5? Even most level 4/5 teams don't practice more than 14-15 hours a week. 20 hours a week is practicing 5 days a week for 4 hours a day. For a JO team, that is common in level 9 and 10 and unheard of in level 3. The exception being some TOPs track homeschool programs where the children start young and practice during the day. But for after school JO programs, I literally don't know of any gyms that practice 5x4 hours in level 3. If they're out there, they're the extreme exception. Personally, if this post is true, I would find another program sooner rather than later.

Seems OP daughter is 10. Gym was encouraging Xcel. Daughter did great at a mock meet a 2. Not sure how she got to 3, as there is only so much I am prepared to track. Just a quick look.

Reactions: sce
this was my experience as well....

Are you sure this isn't a bogus post? The OP has never returned and really, what gym has L3 go 20 hours?

She stated in a previous post that they are at a very aggressive elite gym. She also said the coach overstretches them until they cry and are afraid. I don't know, but this gym sounds a bit over the top to me.

On the other hand, I would ask OP if they have heard the plan for their dd from coach. With her being older, if she is talented, they may be focusing on skill development instead of routine refinement so she can move forward as quickly as possible from here. This strategy would definitely lead to lower placement but would still be benefitting the child.

Hmmmm.... I could be totally off but "a very aggressive Elite gym" and "10yo L3" don't sound compatible...?

OP, fine tuning the details can definitely account for the lower scores. If ALL her other teammates are scoring much higher than her, then obviously there is something your DD is missing. If she is getting the same training as the others, it could be simply jitters, that she is too nervous to remember all the details or remember to straighten her knees/point toes etc. that adds up.
And it's been said from almost everyone so I'm just going to chime in: 20 hrs is a LOT for L3.

I most absolutely would not pay an additional $100 for privates if she's working out 20 hours week. That is more than enough time to perfect lvl 3.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back