WAG Scratching vs missing skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's an tough situation for the gymnast, b/c you have to have a kip before you can work kip-cast, or kip-cast-back hip circle. Your coach may feel that your dd has better than average strength, and is perhaps just struggling with the timing. There were a couple of girl's on my dd's team who were really late getting kips (September - season starts in November). By January they had nice bar routines and were scoring low-mid 9's. That seems to be the exception, however. Most gyms in this area required a kip by July to compete L4.

Thank you all!
This is one time where I will trust the coach, whether to drop her back, or keep her at 4 and scratch. I know she believes and hopes DD CAN get it in time. DD's problem is rips that hurt too much to do the bars, so she misses a lot of practice time. She's getting past the pain lately, and we are also working on her hands nightly.
And if this situation is like anything else my DD has put me through, I'm going to worry and worry until the time comes, then she's going to pull it out just in time, and all my worry would have been for naught.

The boys' coaches must have some magic. The boys all moved up to L5 (approx girls L4) with no kip. I think that is common in many gyms. You'll see some misses early in competition, but by State the vast majority are kipping well.

Many L5 boys miss their kip but attempt it. Not really a big deal. Same could be said of MAG to WAG in general.

In this past season, Level 7s at our gym competed without giants. Giants are practically the main skill in the bar routine. Yes, they did get low scores but they still competed. Better getting a 8.5 than a 0.00! :)

We are an australian gym but we do that all the time. If a girl has almost every skill but not one she can go up. Also if the skill is messy you are better off not doing it.

It was not completely uncommon to see girls at a L7 compete bars without a giant. It was worse to not have kip cast handstand than no giants. If their free hips are decent you can get decent (not 9s usually) but high 8s without a giant.

Giants are not a required skill at level 7 - just B circling elements. A girl can have a 10.0 start value without them (unlike lower levels without kip, free hip, etc). DD did for 2 years, NEVER had less than a 10 start value - scored consistently high 8s low 9s....now....should she have gianted it would have probably led to mid high 9s as her flyaway would have been better, etc...and now at L8 she really NEEDS to giant as it is very difficult (again not impossible) to build routines in L8 and up without giants that are full start value.

However, I really WISH that her team had trained giants earlier (didn't start until she was officially a L7) and pushed her more to get them - because it is a stumbling block now - the only skill she's struggling with in L8 training. So I see that it can be a good policy to require them by L7 as long as a kid is given enough training in the lower levels...

That logic holds for other skills - up train and strength early so that kids don't ever get to the point where they are "a skill behind".....won't work for all kids, of course...

In this past season, Level 7s at our gym competed without giants. Giants are practically the main skill in the bar routine. Yes, they did get low scores but they still competed. Better getting a 8.5 than a 0.00! :)

Somewhat different situation. You can construct a 10.0 start value routine at L7 without a giant. A missing kip is a significant deduction. This would be more akin to competing L7 floor without a back layout.

The boys' coaches must have some magic. The boys all moved up to L5 (approx girls L4) with no kip. I think that is common in many gyms. You'll see some misses early in competition, but by State the vast majority are kipping well.

Different bar, only one kip in the routine not from a glide (requires less strength). But most girls are in this situation in my state anyway? States is generally a year after they start working on kips, by then they have it consistently.

My DD struggled with the squat on. Had it for a long time, then I think she started growing, and it threw her off. The next year it was hit or miss every meet. She finally had a different coach tell her to look at the mat instead of the high bar until she got her feet on. It forced her to keep her head down and lean forward. When looking up, it shifts the center of balance back and made her fall backward.
We had similar problems the following year with the fly away. She would just drag like lead on the second tap swing, and would not let go of the bar. That was 2-3 years ago. Now she's working giants with a layout dismount.
Keep the faith. Your DD will get it, and when she does, it will be awesome!

My DD did have to scratch beam once this past year, bc she got scared of the bwo. The coach would not let her skip the skill. She was so upset by that time, that competing beam would have been dangerous.
Our gym in general has gone back and forth over the years. No skills, don't move up some years. If missing one skill, maybe move up and scratch the one event some years.

UPDATE!!!!

So my mom was at gym with DD yesterday, I happened to be home, sick on the couch.
Mom called me "Just want to let you know that she just came RUNNING out to let me know she did the kip THREE times!"
She ended up doing it a fourth time, but when HC came in, she wasn't able to do it again. But, one of the main coaches saw them all.

Now if we can just keep those darned rips away, I think she'll be able to fully get it :)

Thank you all for letting me vent and worry over here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back