WAG Serious training... curious, how much does it cost

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in a big metro and pay $10K-$12K/year. This is for L7/L8 and includes all expenses including family travel to out of town meets, booster dues, extra meet fees for state and regionals, floor choreography, uniforms, etc. Tuition alone is about $7K.

I'm in Ontario. We run around $400/mth for 21 hours plus meet fees of about $350. And then there's the choreo, GO fees etc. I'd say altogether we may run around $6-7k a year.
Our travel costs are definitely much less than our friends in the US. All of our meets are in province and our gym chooses driveable locations. At most we may need one overnight stay this year and only if it's an early morning flight. We also only do 5 meets a season and have only one season to compete.

I'm in Ontario Canada as well. We pay $500 per month tuition for 25 hrs per week.

Meet fees/Leo/choreography $4000. This year we have only one sleepover meet, all others are local, which is kind of a drag because I really enjoy doing a sleepover just me and dd.

Long island too and monthly fee is $550, for 17 hours a week. That doesn't include the mandatory$2,000 booster club annual fee, meet fees, coaches fee and apparel fee. I just went back to work for my dd gymnastics passion. We are thinking private/home school next year which will be another expense. It's fun times here in NY!!

$5500/yr for everything except travel, work-out leos, grips, etc. Not including Regionals or Nationals which would add additional coaching fees plus meet costs, etc, for those meets.

Level 2 (pre-team). The 2 gyms in our area require commitment for the school year. I'm not sure if that changes at level 3 (which is considered the team). They don't appear to list prices anywhere online.

Both prices are for 4 hours/week.

First Gym: $375 x 9.5 months = ~$3500
Second Gym: $221 x 9.5 months = ~$2,100
We live in a lower cost of living area, and I have 2 daughters competing Amerikids 3 (4 hours per week)plus 1 daughter in rec, and our total monthly cost is just under $350. Our gym does a great job of keeping things low cost when possible.

Long island too and monthly fee is $550, for 17 hours a week. That doesn't include the mandatory$2,000 booster club annual fee, meet fees, coaches fee and apparel fee. I just went back to work for my dd gymnastics passion. We are thinking private/home school next year which will be another expense. It's fun times here in NY!!

Wait, you are paying $2000 booster fee on top of meet/coaches/apparel fees? What is the booster fee for?

This thread made me wonder how much is your average income in the US? For example, here in Finland an average would be a little over 2300 euros (the net income so after taxes, pension contribution etc) per month so approximately $2490. So if the gym tuition was $500 per month, you were spending 20% of your income outright to the gym. My rent is 500 euros ($540) in a month and I live in a studio apartment! If I had a kid and the tuition was that high I could not afford him/her doing gymnastics :eek:

The gym tuition tops out at 150 euros ($162) per month in here, even if you were practicing 20 hours a week. I've never seen higher numbers than that. So the tuition would be just 6,5% of your average income and even that is considered very expensive in here. My gymnasts practice 7 hours a week and they pay 60 euros per month. The hourly rate goes down when your hours increase.

This thread made me wonder how much is your average income in the US? For example, here in Finland an average would be a little over 2300 euros (the net income so after taxes, pension contribution etc) per month so approximately $2490. So if the gym tuition was $500 per month, you were spending 20% of your income outright to the gym. My rent is 500 euros ($540) in a month and I live in a studio apartment! If I had a kid and the tuition was that high I could not afford him/her doing gymnastics :eek:

The gym tuition tops out at 150 euros ($162) per month in here, even if you were practicing 20 hours a week. I've never seen higher numbers than that. So the tuition would be just 6,5% of your average income and even that is considered very expensive in here. My gymnasts practice 7 hours a week and they pay 60 euros per month. The hourly rate goes down when your hours increase.

There is nothing approaching a norm here. Just our family has had an annual income between $24,000 a year and $130,000 per year over the past 15 years (and that's definitely not with an linearly up progression- it's a zigzag). For housing we've paid between $400 a month and $3700 a month (plus utilities). Last year gym for two girls ate nearly a quarter of our income. We are definitely insane, to be sure.

There is nothing approaching a norm here. Just our family has had an annual income between $24,000 a year and $130,000 per year over the past 15 years (and that's definitely not with an linearly up progression- it's a zigzag). For housing we've paid between $400 a month and $3700 a month (plus utilities). Last year gym for two girls ate nearly a quarter of our income. We are definitely insane, to be sure.
I would like this, but I feel your pain more.

Wait, you are paying $2000 booster fee on top of meet/coaches/apparel fees? What is the booster fee for?

Ugh.....it's definitely a sore subject right now. The booster club fees are for meets for upper level meet fees and coaches fees. It is a hard pill to swallow since the booster club only supports the levels 9 & 10 gymnasts.

is the booster club one of those regulated thingamabobs you all refer to ( sorry don't know the numbers), if so surely that contravenes the regs as it does not benefit all gymnasts ? Just a thought ?

I'm going to keep all DDs comp Leo's and see them together to make her prom dress one day. (That is if she even wants to go to prom :p)
They only get a leo every two years usually....how would you have enough fabric, lol?
Better to keep all her leos....hee hee. That would be one wild peace, love and happiness dress. Awesome.

But if my DD sticks with it I may get her leos sewn into a wedding dress (assuming...) some day.
They only get a leo every two years usually....how would you have enough fabric, lol?
My DD has been on pre-team for about 2.5 months (previously rec but she had a leo or 2). I think she has 3 leos. At this rate we'll be able we'll be able to make bridesmaids dresses too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back