Parents so...how does this meet stuff work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ohhhh, Competition season..... I can't wait for it to begin, and then, I can't wait until for it to end!

Meets! Always bring your favorite headache remedy - you will usually get one.

I always have (in my bag, or DD's)
Nail polish remover
Extra hair bands
Sewing kit to mend torn Leo
Athletic tape
Band aids
Pepto bismol

Hair spray is nice, but not a necessity.
As they get older, feminine supplies.

You will be the goddess of all the team gymmies and moms.

yes! And I tend to get dehydrated at meets because I refuse to spend $3 for a water bottle (meets at stadiums, etc), or I'm usually too broke to buy even a cheap one once I pay for gas, lodging, and entry fee. Then I get a headache and the Motrin comes in handy.

this has never happened at any meets my daughter's competed in for 8 years, except 1. All our girls compete their age even in AAU, and if their birthday falls the day before state, then they have to move to the next age group for state even though they were in The younger group all season. You can tell me it's not possible, but I have entered the girls ages many times on meet entries, and I know what I'm talking about.

GAgymmom -

I am just telling you what the rules for USAG say and the way they are intended to be applied. If a state or a club doesn't follow the rules and gets away with it that is on them. Age determination is a key item in the Meet Director's exam and can be a sanction violation if caught. Sanction violations come with monetary penalties; so why risk it.

The fact that you entered the ages on entry forms doesn't mean the meet director used those ages - I don't. I enter the actual birthdate (and usually from the USAG web site) and the software puts the athlete in the proper age division.

Last edited:
Just want to add a couple things I learned about meets the past 2 seasons:
It may be more pertinent to NY meets but I found my 6 yr old lvl 4 was often lumped into ages 6-9 (!) It took some getting used to not get discouraged when it came time for medals. The best we could hope for most meets was ages 6-8. It wasn't till we traveled out of state to Brestyans Invitational, Boston that my 6 yr old was placed in a 6-7 yr old grouping that finally felt reasonable. I guess we just don't have many very young competitive gymnasts locally.

Secondly, another thing that took getting used to is the score flashing. In most meets around here it lagged by one gymnast. your daughter's score will go up after the gymnast following her finishes her turn.

Meets are incredibly fun! Tiring, nerve wracking, but inexplicably rewarding. I can't wait to get back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back