"Speeder" Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lately I've been practicing what my coach calls "speeder" giants. These are when you tap early while arching and separating your legs to get height and distance into a flyaway.

I thought it looked really easy, but I'm having a hard time forcing my chest and hips down so I can tap early. I'm not sure, I guess old habits die hard for me when it comes to giants, I sometimes forget to arch or straddle or both into the flyaway. How can I remember exactly what to do while still keeping hold of form?

Also, I feel MUCH lower and closer to the bar than I actually am in my flyaway. Is this just me or will I re-orient myself as I get used to the skill?

Thanks in advance!

What is the purpose of this? To get a better giant when normally your giant would move around the bar quite slowly? That is one of the problems my DGD has so this may be a solution to her problem there (once she gets back to class that is)....

This is not very commonly done on the uneven bars (I think you're talking about a chinese tap anyway). The low bar can make timing difficult. Typically this kind of tap in a giant hollows much more over the top of the bar, so it isn't coming from a handstand. I'm not sure how you're doing it - as a set of giants (which is usually what is done on high bar) or from a cast.

Some girls tap over the low bar (i.e. Nastia and most of the WOGA gymnasts), which is less dramatic than the kind of chinese tap you see on high bar so I'm guessing what you're going for is more like that. The toes still come down from the handstand for a fairly significant portion of the downswing, but the push through to arch happens more quickly and is held a little longer. It will take a lot of time practicing on strap bar and single bar to get the timing right, just like any giant. You could also practice doing tap swings with the timing through the bottom, but without the speed and momentum of a full circle.

I didn't mean that the giants tapped early like that, I meant that i tapped early like that right before the flyaway. I've seen lots of people do this before. My bad, poor wording.
I usually only see this done into a "big" dismount such as a double back or harder, and I'm not quite sure of the purpose of this either. All I know is that I get higher and further from the bar in this skill. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back