Parents Spinoff of the high scores vs low scores thread..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would love to know how many of those super high scoring compulsory gymnasts are still around for optionals? Is there any correlation there between super high scores in compulsory and longevity in the sport? Are those scores for mostly repeating gymnasts, or 1st year levels? I guess you could go on a deep dive through my meet scores to figure some of that out...
yep the variables are many to get any sort of useful information or correlation.

Again, I expect higher scores in compulosories, especially lower levels where the skills are very basic compared to optionals.

A lot of gyms don't start competing until level 4 so that will skew data for level 3 and 4. Many gyms use Xcel to track to optionals vs lower JO (beyond) score outs.

Then there are the kids who move up quickly and do multiple compulsory levels in a year vs kids who do one level a yea vs kids who do multilple years at a level.

I would love to know how many of those super high scoring compulsory gymnasts are still around for optionals? Is there any correlation there between super high scores in compulsory and longevity in the sport? Are those scores for mostly repeating gymnasts, or 1st year levels? I guess you could go on a deep dive through my meet scores to figure some of that out...

I looked at DD's old L3 compulsory year for the state meet. Here is what I see....
6 girls got 38+. Of those girls (and this was 4 years ago)

Girl #1: took first at L8 regionals in her age group so still going strong.
Girl #2: never did another meet after state that year.
Girl #3: has spent four years in a combination of old and new L5 but is only 35s in those levels. No record of her getting to optionals yet
Girl #4: has only been scoring 34s and 35s as she moved through the levels but is still competing. Did L7 last year
Girl #5: hasn't scored above 35.8 since but is still competing. Did L6 last year
Girls #6: competed one more season where she was getting 34s and then quit.

DD's other year at compulsories was old L5 and only one girl received a 38 at state. She won L7 state this year as well but didn't even get a 37 to make it happen (she's in an older age group).

Compared to optionals.....last year, 4 girls got 38+ at L7 state meet. But this year, no L7 girl received a 38.

Region 2.
Low scoring in general, I think. Low 9's are GREAT scores!! 7's are not unusual, most routines with reasonably clean execution will score in the low to mid 8's.
In my state, the scores are routinely slightly lower in compulsories than the neighboring state (which we compete in often).
L3 practices 8hrs/wk
L4/5: 13hrs/wk
L7:16hrs/wk
L8-up:20hrs/wk
No clue on Optionals scoring yet! :)

I am such a data-junkie/ and to think, I didn't even know about MMS or MSO until third meet! I like what u did up the Cbifoja- back to MMS to see where the girls start to drop off- :)

. Maxing out hours at 12 L4-10 (we currently have no 10). Almost all the kids do more hours in the summer with camps. Some do they extra weekly, some every other, some when they can. Some to get some extra time in before states. Some will take privates. Our gym will also let a gymnast who can keep up, but families have financial concerns do less hours.

Have fun with your graphs.

Your upper optionals only do 12 hours a week? DO they perform well on such low hours?

Your upper optionals only do 12 hours a week? DO they perform well on such low hours?
I guess it depends on your definition of well. 33-35 early in the season . We get some 36-38 later in the season.
Our L4s are stronger (but they have been tracking that way since they started).

I guess it depends on your definition of well. 33-35 early in the season . We get some 36-38 later in the season.
Our L4s are stronger (but they have been tracking that way since they started, as in as a group they are stronger then the upper girls were at that level and the ones coming up are not as strong).

They aren't going Elite or to the Olympics. But we have had kids go to Regionals/Nationals in the past. A couple who have had scholarships to college. Not tons but it has happened.

Region 8 here. 17.5 hours a week for all optional levels, going up to 19 in the spring. She did 16 for new 5, 12 for new 4, 9 for old 4. 38's are extremely rare except from Those Gyms, usually at compulsory states. Scoring for new 5 was indeed lower across the board (mid-35's won most meets). Hoping to see a bounceback for L7!

Talking strictly JO here. One of Those Gyms has girls alternate Xcel and JO year round, so they compete Xcel with JO hours and naturally sweep everything.

R4 here - from what I've heard, our state is probably pretty average in training hours.

DD was a repeat 4 this year but pushed for level 7 for a bit (gym doesn't usually do level 5/6). Her group of 7 girls has one first year level 4, and they train a base of 15 hours. Sometimes they'll have an extra clinic/practice that's optional. The other level 4 group trains 12 hours and I think 4/11 kids are first year girls.

In our state, I'd say 10-16 hours is average for level 4 with maybe a couple of outliers. Level 3 I'd say is anywhere from 6-12 hours, depending on the gym - probably an average 0f 8-9. Reading this, it looks like such a huge disparity!

This year there were about 300 level 4 girls competing at state and ~8% of girls scored 37+. About 1.5% of all L4 girls scored 38 or higher at state.

Without exception, the girls in our higher practice hour group scored higher than the lower practice hour group, but then again, they aren't grouped as they are by accident... Not that the other girls aren't talented, they just weren't quite ready to train the higher skills at time of grouping.

We also peak toward the end of the season - my DD's scores ranged 36.5 or so at start of season to upper 37/38.0 by the end.

I'd check mymeetscores for optionals data, but it currently seems down.

Another Texan here! Looking back at scores for old L4 & new L4 in DD's age group, Jr. A 1 (the youngest of the young), barely old enough to compete so no repeaters. 17 in old L4, top 6 above a 37, no 39's. 20 in new L4, bottom 3-4 had scores less than 36. Of those gymnasts she competed against in those 2 meets, only 5-6 have not competed within the last year. She trained 9 hours in old L4 & 12 hours in new L4.

Ok no one is mentioning the coaching factor. Certain regions have far more gyms with far better coaching options. Where we stand options are not plentiful the difference between a 35/36 and 38 can come down to pure coaching ( or lack of it) especially on bars. Just my two cents.

If you want to play with data, have a look at JO nationals and eastern/western level 9 results. Go through the younger age division kids (as they have results back to compulsory levels). Most of these kids are top places at most of their meets throughout their MMS history, not many have places outside the top six. When you find a girl who went from low to high scores, there was usually a gym change in there.

I hope this does not burst anyone's bubble

Was chatting with a friend who moved out west recently and we were discussing the differences in scheduling in correlation with gym success. I definitely think that coach retention can be a factor... Some regions have a wider variety of schooling options for kids. When a majority of kids can dismiss school by early afternoon, they can practice earlier, which means coaches (and kids) can be home in time for dinner with their families. That HAS to be a major plus for everyone.

Made me kinda want to pack up and head that direction. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back