Coaches Spondylolisthesis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

isaelijohjac

Hi there. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with spondylolisthesis? Specifically post surgery. Thanks so much.

It looks like my daughter may need surgery. She was diagnosed in February with Grade 1 1/2. she stopped all activity. She wore a brace for 6 months for stability and to correct extreme lordosis, and then was weaned off of it. The whole time doing her physical therapy. We went back last week, earlier than we were scheduled to, as she was feeling pain. As we suspected, she has slipped more. She has had a huge growth year...3 inches, 15 pounds. She was a level 8 and just turned 10 when she stopped in February. The doctor (Dr. Micheli, Boston Children's) wants us to see the surgeon he works closely with as the position of her slip is not good, and her lordosis is back.

ANY insight, experience, information would be helpful and appreciated. She will not be returning to gymnastics under any circumstances, but we would like to know if there are any that have had surgery and returned to such intense activity without issue (or with issue).

Thank you.

no gymnastics EVER after surgery of this kind. sorry.:(

No, sorry if my post was unclear. We realize she is finished with gymnastics. She has been since she was first diagnosed in February. That would be crazy, this back has to last a lifetime.

I am just looking for any information a coach, or parent, may have if they have known somebody that has gotten the surgery. ANY information would be appreciated.

As a side note, I searched back pain last night on chalk bucket. There are a lot of gymnasts complaining about back pain and either they, or their coaches, are blowing it off. I find that incredibly disturbing. I am wondering if USAG does any education on injuries for member gyms, so that a coach doesn't have to know an injury personally to know the symptoms. My daughter's extreme lordosis and inability to stay straight should have been a red flag, especially because she was known for her great form and since it was clearly getting harder for her to stay straight when she needed to. I am not blaming the gym, it's a sport with risks.

Thanks for any information.

yes. usag and the industry as a rule are aware of these types of orthopaedic conditions.

i know 2 that had 2 different procedures. both had successful outcomes, has been more than 15 & 12 years respectively, and both lead normal lifestyles. and they both bike ride as their excercise. and both had no problems delivering children of their own.

the problem with "thesis" is one you are born with. sports do not cause the problem where swimming, gymnastics and football finds it the most.

there are hundreds of gymnasts, both male and female, that have lordosis. not all present the same way. and some never have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself have spondo... I really can't spell the word. I was diagnosed when I was 11 and in the 5th grade. I went to 4 doctors and the doc said I can do gymnastics still. This was about 15 years ago so the medical technology has changed but I was told I can do gymnastics and I continued for 4 more years. I have yet to have surgery and I am doing alright I have slight back pain sometimes but nothing horrible. Mine is at L5 S1. Again things have changed and they might not allow the gymnasts to do it anymore after diagnosis.

I would 100% recommend a 2nd opinion- try another hospital as well. I have had horrible experiences w childrens hospital recently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back