Parents Sports Medicine Doc's "return to practice" letter and instructions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We tried very hard - no one would take her.

I don't know if there's more going on here but with the above ("no one would take her") , her injuries and you feeling like your gym is "firing" you, regardless of what other coaches have said about how hardworking/talented etc she is, something is amiss if you can't get a gym to take her ( gyms take people with injuries so it's not that), I would be done and move on to something else...it could be related to gymnastics like cheering or acro or dance or something completely different , a la soccer. The thing I would do moving forward is take a good look in the mirror to see what my role was in all this, and adjust my behavior so it doesn't happen again, not to say you can't (or shouldn't)advocate for your kid, but something went off the rails in this story and I wouldn't want your daughter to have to go through all this again....

misshoneybee, I agree that something seems amiss. I don't understand that no gym would take her. I've never heard of a gym turning a kid down. Now, maybe they might say she needs to repeat level 5, but not take her at all?? I feel for you. But I do agree with Bookworm that maybe you need to suggest to your daughter that she start exploring other options.

I think the other gyms where she tried out, were looking for kids that could and would go elite only. Some of the gyms that I talked to via phone and email said that their groups were full and they just couldn't take any more kids....One gym said that they didn't let new comers on the team because they "were a very tight knit group of parents that have certain values". I am not sure what that means exactly, that is just what they said. I guess when I said "we tried very hard"....I only had her try out at 2 gyms and those were the gyms that I am pretty sure were looking to take kids that were going to go to nationals for sure. We have a lot of gyms in the area but some of them are just too far for me to drive, so I was a bit limited in how far I would go.

I wish I knew what the problem was for sure. I don't think it is me I stay out of the gym, I pay my bills, she gets there early, doesn't leave early, doesn't miss, and I rarely talk to the coaches. My DD isn't a problem I don't think. I have made suggestions that switch sports, etc. do something similar, etc. and she just isn't ready to quit.

I agree - something is amiss.

Tell your dd not to give up hope, I am sure there is a gym that is right for her. As I said before, my dd tried out 7 gyms before the switch and she is not on the elite track either. Still, I never had a gym not hungry enough who was not willing to take her. Lets face it, running a gym is expensive and a team kid brings in hundreds of $$ a month. No gym in this economy would turn business down. Maybe not the level ur dd wants or training sh ewants, but not to offer something? Sounds like region 5 is doing better than region 8, lol.

She is not giving up and we may have found a new gym ;). I am pretty sure the mistake that I made was choosing the wrong the gyms for her to "tryout" in. We have so many gyms in Region 5 it is hard to figure out where to go. Keep your fingers crossed. BTW...she worked out last night and her back felt good. Amen sister!

Tell your dd not to give up hope, I am sure there is a gym that is right for her. As I said before, my dd tried out 7 gyms before the switch and she is not on the elite track either. Still, I never had a gym not hungry enough who was not willing to take her. Lets face it, running a gym is expensive and a team kid brings in hundreds of $$ a month. No gym in this economy would turn business down. Maybe not the level ur dd wants or training sh ewants, but not to offer something? Sounds like region 5 is doing better than region 8, lol.

misshoneybee, I wish your daughter well and hope this bump in the road is just that. Minor bumps quickly become distant memories and hopefully this will turn out to be a great season at a great gym for her.

Strange. my dd just broke her hand and she went to gym her same schedule just codnitioned. when the cast came off the coach did want a detailed list of what she could and couldnt' do for the first 2 weeks. but she still went everyday and worked out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back