Spring competitions, who's up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
So, we're nearly into February, so people must be thinking about grades/compulsories? DD2 I think maybe doing some small F+V things, but we're out of WAG for now a least, so let me live vicariously!

Flossy, Vbbf, chocolate I think are all up for compulsories in March? Ugly betty, tiny dancer, P+F for grades

Tally Ho, not sure about you?

Looking forward to seeing who's at nationals later in the year, I love that we can follow names through their careers :). I have one or two espoirs I'd like to see how they do, and Catherine Lyons and Georgia-Mae at Junior level. There are a few gone AWOL too I'd like to see back :)

I've got a 10 year old aiming for national grade 8 in March - I say aiming for as she's only been out of plaster a week after breaking her foot!

Thankfully she did compulsory 4 last year so the skills she needs this time round are not too taxing - provided she gets them all back in time. I think I must be in the minority - I love grades - particularly watching range and conditioning!

Hello Frase, don't think I've "met" you before?

How did compulsory 4 go? How come no Compulsory 3, is it because of her foot? Although I have heard some clubs will do comp 5 or 4 to see how they get on. Tend to be smaller clubs though I think as they biggies only put kids in they think will win.

We never got as far as grades before DD quit- she did a regional OOA comp and I was gobsmacked at the standard, incredibly high. And these are the non-compulsory kids!

I'm more a lurker than a poster ;-). She passed 4 then had quite a few leg/knee injuries which knocked her confidence, so she ended up doing level 5 out of age for voluntaries.

If I'm honest I would have liked her to do 3 but with her foot break it's def for the best she's doing 8!

Thanks for the mention, My oldest dd (who you are refering to) has Floor & Vault Competition in February and NDP Grades in April, looking forward this year (this time last year my oldest dd wasn't even doing gymnastics) starting next month for Floor & Vault and hopefully ending up competing in the British Championships at the end of the year.

Hi faith, my dd will be doing miss alpha factor in march before she does her compulsory level 5 competition. Its really exciting. Seems like shes been waiting forever for her first levels comp and hopefully she will do well. Last year we went to watch her teammates compete at compulsories and voluntaries and shes finally going to be joining them not watching. :)

She passed 4 then had quite a few leg/knee injuries which knocked her confidence, so she ended up doing level 5 out of age for voluntaries.

If I'm honest I would have liked her to do 3 but with her foot break it's def for the best she's doing 8!

I didn't know you could drop down back to 5 :) I thought once you'd competed a level that was it. Good for her passing 4, I also love to watch R+C. It is tough though!

Will she be able to get back on the compulsory track next year, or will she continue with grades for a while and maybe think about challenge if she still feels like it? I always like to hear how different clubs use the different pathways (and I'm nosy :p )

Vbbf, competing at last, Good luck!

I hope so. There werent many skills she was short of to do level 3 in december before she broke her foot (giant half turn, round off straight back beam dismount and some work on her vault) so if she can come back fighting she may get back on track. That said she broke her foot doing giants so has some bravery to work on too now!

I believe that even if she doesn't, the new changes to elite grades mean that national and elite all end up at the same destination (british championships) at a closer time than they once used to.

National levels also give her the chance to aim at a National place which is keeping her relatively happy and focused.

I think what we learnt over the last year is you just never know what's gong to happen!

Vbbf - are you doing alpha north or south? We're doing Newcastle (north). I always think Alpha factor is such a high standard but a great warm up for grades.

Were not quite sure yet. We was planning to do Newcastle but they didnt have any gymnasts in the compulsory level 5 group last year so im not sure whether this year will be the same. The south had gymnasts competing compulsory level 5 so that looks like the better option for my dd. I think it will be decided soon and i will let you know then whether its the north or south. I think alpha factor is a great competition and my dd loves the fact that the winner gets a tiara, a barbie and a sash :)

Miss alpha factor has the sashes and barbies. The alpha factor invitational has the rosettes . 2 different comps.

Alpha factor south clashes with the south east regionals. Not sure which level DD will do yet, intro of giants at level 5 is tough.

Alpha factor south clashes with the south east regionals. Not sure which level DD will do yet, intro of giants at level 5 is tough.
That's why we are doing north this year instead of south as we have done for the last 2 years. (we are in southeast region).

This year and last our gym club hasn't entered the level 5 girls into miss alpha factor as the miss alpha level 5 requirements have differed from the grades level 5 requirements and they didn't want to confuse them right before grades.

That's why we are doing north this year instead of south as we have done for the last 2 years. (we are in southeast region).

This year and last our gym club hasn't entered the level 5 girls into miss alpha factor as the miss alpha level 5 requirements have differed from the grades level 5 requirements and they didn't want to confuse them right before grades.

Yet another reason to make level 5 voluntaries and compulsories set by BG and not by individual regions.

I'm not 100% sure whether or not DD is doing a grade now. They showed them the routine first session back in January and then only practised it once or twice. DD has practised it at home but they haven't checked where she is with it. Coach said no final decision has yet made but I'm not optimistic given the short timeframe. I think the decision is complicated by them wanting them to compete 2 pieces at a level they have a chance of medalling at. I've made a mental note to stop trying to work out or second guess why they are doing X, Y or Z. I know that instead of working on skills for the grade they are instead uptraining for harder skills and I completely trust that they will get DD to the furthest possible point gymnastics wise that she is capable of. When I'm quietly picking up the pieces at home (I've warned DD that its not looking good), I try to remind myself that there are girls across the country who'd cut off an ear to train at her club and that their methods are 100% proven.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back