Spring competitions, who's up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Hi!

DD1 has grades in March, DD2 can't compete until next year, not sure what she will end up competing! We've had the same problem with alpha factor that it's the same day as our grades, so may do the north one!

I've not posted before but have two gymnasts doing comps this spring. My eldest (2006) is doing her first year of competitions which starts with a couple of team events prior to regional grades and youngest is too young to compete so will be doing in house only.

Hi Rachael, nice to meet you too :) My youngest is 6 this year so is just able to compete F+V regionally. Not sure how she'll do as she's on one hour a week, and most other local clubs F+V squads are on 3-6 hours a week.

Think I missed @xrachx out too.

@Flossyduck (hey, look at me learning how to tag people :p), not seen you around so much these days o_O. Have you gone and got one of them real lives or just spending too much time driving to the gym. Love hearing about your DD's progress :)

Hi :) Yes extra hours and yes I managed to find a real life too... (nah just kidding :D about that one). I have got a new job though if that counts?!

Sort of felt I might be tempting fate to comment on this one too soon! Competition prep is definitely underway - routines being nit-picked and polished, and conditioning ramped up, but still lots of other stuff going on too. Final decisions haven't been made.

DD hit the ground running this year and has been doing really well skill wise. So impressed with her attitude and what she's doing! It might have helped that she hasn't grown since a spurt @ sept. So she has all the skills and is looking good apart from that pesky range. It's ok, it's improving all the time, but not competition ready. That drag, pike up thing looks odd and all the girls do it slightly differently. Her attitude is that it will be fine because, as I know, she does well under competition pressure! Problem is that decisions will be made before then and she needs to convince the powers that be that it will be ready. It's definitely got stronger over the last couple of weeks and is by no means the only one which needs more work, but...we'll just have to see.

Hi Rachael and here's to everyone's best efforts in March/April (and maybe May!)

She's working towards level 3 hopefully.

Actually I'm genuinely not sure what a typical gymnasts body type is anymore. The girls in her level/age range from tiny twiglets, through some small but more muscly types and a couple who are normal height and not overly thin. The older girls are the same, with a wide range of body types competing very successfully. I like it :)

@Flossyduck this makes me a very happy mum! DD2 is average height but a muscle machine so bars is not her strength, were working on the straddle lever to handstand at the minute!

My DD is competing F+V in March which she's excited about. It's only a local one though to give those moving up into grades some experience of what a proper comp is like. Luckily she's not the oldest one going, so she won't feel too out of place!

She's desperate to go watch the Alpha Factor comp in Ipswich, but all depends whether we can fit it in...

Ooh @Flossyduck that sound exciting. :). I like to watch level 3 as you get a feel for those up and comers.

What's the new job? Still with BG? Can you get us insider information ;)

Lol. I meant my 'proper' job. The one that actually covers the bills! Sadly I have very limited access to the hallowed mothership up at Lilleshall

It's a sort of diagonal promotion... which on the one hand means that I will cry fewer hot salty tears when the gym invoice arrives (or at least I can muffle them with better quality bog roll), but on the other hand I have less time to hang out on chalkbucket - lunch break, what lunch break?! She says whilst enjoying a colleagues birthday cake for elevensies :D

Can anybody give me some background on why compulsory level 4 & 5 have been made harder e.g Giants in level 5 in age is quite tough and level 4 backwards walkover flick on beam is not easy and so many girls who last year would have done these compulsories in age now are being put onto grades 14/13 instead.

I know it's been touched on before, but on a similar note to the changes, can anyone confirm what the current route to the British championships now is?

Is it elite 4, 3, 2, 1, then still espoir for 2 years or is that now 1 year?

And national 8,7,6, 5 then challenge cup? Is the challenge cup the year of national 5 (ie when 13)?

Anyone can do challenge cup you don't need to do any grades. You just fit into the right age group, espoir, junior or senior. Espoirs is now in December so I 'think' you do compulsory 1 in the spring and then espoirs in December instead of voluntaries the first year. I could be wrong though.

So much to learn - and the coaches at our gym mentioned at that National grades were being looked at next year so it could all change again!

Does any1 know if any clubs from the east region will be doing miss alpha factor angel of the north, seeing as the compulsory level 5 category is set by east regions level 5. I would of thought all the east region clubs would be doing jewell of the south

I know East Midlands is the same date as south alpha factor but I think east will be at the south one?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back