Starting gym after 4 months off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am starting gymnastics tomorrow again after 4 months off for Track and Field. I also took a week off from a sport because I haven't had a break in a long time. I know I shouldn't just rush back into everthing and to stretch. Does anyone have anymore tips?
Thanks for any help!

My one friend at camp didn't do gymnastics for 6 years!!! :eek: She was just starting up again!

Anyways... you pretty much got it down, don't rush and STRETCH a lot! Here's another tip: at home, if you can, just practice really basic moves, like handstands, walkovers, etc. This will help familiarize you with gymnastics again. (like, if you have a front handspring but stop gymnastics for a while, you might bend your arms or something in it so practicing handstands will help.)

Also, don't forget about form. Point your toes, be in the correct position, and... yep.

You probably already knew that but... oh well!! :p That's all I got for ya... well, good luck, and have fun! ;)

Wow, you sound just like me! After the end of my highschool and club seasons, I really wanted to pole vault, or maybe run something on the highschool track team. It's a no cut team, so I gave it a try, and only went to gymnastics on saturdays.

A couple weeks or so ago, I got back to the gym, full time. Here are some things that could be helpful...

1. Drink lots of water, and give yourself some time. You will probably get a little light headed tumbling, and things that came easy will be at first a lot harder. Don't be hard on yourself. Your coaches will probably be understanding, and if you feel too worn out, sit down for a minute. You'll feel better quick, but your body isn't used to the intensity of gymnastics. (Also, you don't want to push too hard too fast, you'll be at risk for a stress fracture-- no fun!)

2. Arm strength. Your legs are most likely in pretty good shape, because you did track! Bars, at least for me was the hardest event to get back into. To get your hands stronger, you can squeeze stress balls, or anything squishy. Trust me, your hands will be tired after going on bars!

3. Finally, don't be afraid of the basics! It will be hard at first, but you can spend awhile getting re-acquainted with gymnastics. In a few weeks, you won't be able to tell that you left! Goodluck, the first week back can be tough with the sore-ness.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back