state meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

amo

My dd is level 5. I don't understand state meets. How are they different from other competions ? Why are there state qualifiers ?Why after state qualifers are they broken down into 3 different groups according to AA scores. Do the girls with top AA scores continue competing at a national level ? Do the girls get a state ranking. We are in Michigan if that makes a difference. Help !!! Thanks !

When it comes down to it, I think States is just another meet. The difference is 1) you have to qualify so it's somewhat prestigious, 2) it's the state meet so everyone in the state is there, and 3) because it's states and everyone there, winning is a bigger deal. For compulsories though and through level 7 actually, there's no competition beyond states, so in that sense, it's really just another meet.

Thanks for your response. That's pretty much what I thought. I thought maybe I was missing something ! It seems more pressure has been put on the girls because its "state meet".

I have always told my dd that states (or now that she is an optional - regionals or nationals) is the final party. A great time to go out, have fun, and show everyone what she can do.
I also ask her if her life will change if she wins or doesn't win at states?
(The answer is no, of course.)

I do this to counter the pressure of the coaches build up leading to states. they all seem to - even the best of them. I think this is because state titles can help a gym's reputation and bottom line.

Good luck and have a great time:)

State championships vary from state to state. Even though it's a qualified meet no matter what, the criteria differs quite a bit from one state to another. In our state, states is essentially just another meet from an attendance standpoint as just about everyone gets to go.

The biggest difference is in the participants. As already mentioned, gyms are well represented versus individual gyms get to pick and choose what regular meets to attend based on the objective of their program and the caliber of the gymnasts (amongst other things). In addition, one can always count on finding the best gymnasts at the states, hence judges tends to score considerably tougher and you'll see more intense contention for the top spots. This is particularly evident with the younger ages at the optional levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back