WAG Staying in Xcel v. Rejoining J.O.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I have a kind of interesting story behind me. I was a level 3 for 2 years (since I had no bhs) and I was going to move to level 4. With my age, though, and progressing at that rate, I wouldn't be a high enough level to do gymnastics in college. So my mom decided that I was going to talk to my coach and get myself moved to Xcel Gold- since her interpretation is that they can move me to level 6 if I am doing well enough. It's the end of the season, and she is upset with me because my skills "are not what they need to be for level 6."

I have a dilemma. I want to stay in Xcel, and possibly move up a level in that if I don't make it to level 6 (which I don't think I will), but then again what if I will do better in Compulsory?

Can anyone help?

Also, she says that it only counts as you having a skill if you compete it. Is this true?

Thanks!:)

You have a skill when you can safely perform it without spotting and your coach should be able to let you know when you're ready. Competition ready skills are done safely and in good form.

If you switch back to J.O. You still have to score out of the levels you didn't compete in order to compete 6. So, if you repeated level 3 but didn't compete 4 or 5, you still would need to learn those compulsory routines & compete or score out. The score is pretty low though, so like a 31 or 32, I believe to score out.

In this situation, I would ask your mom if you, her & the coach could meet to discuss your goals. If it's YOUR goal to compete gymnastics in college, you should ask your coach if that's an achievable goal and how you might be able to make this happen. If it's not YOUR goal, then decide what you would like to accomplish and find out from your coach if/how it's attainable.

Don't feel pressured to be at any particular level by any age though. Just enjoy your time as a gymnast and enjoy getting new skills. Make small goals that are achievable and strive to make those goals. You will feel success in each goal met.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back