WAG table height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

luvmygymdtr

Proud Parent
I'm curious what the philosophy might be behind having an itty-bitty gymnast, competing level 8, attempt to vault her yerchenko at a 6 off the vault table. This doesn't seem to be the philosophy at our gym. She is really struggling and facing the possibility of not competing it this season, where I feel certain if the coaches at her gym lowered the table she would be successful. Of course, tho, I know nothing. Is it better to lower the table to give her the opportunity to succeed more quickly; or have her continue to struggle in hopes she will eventually succeed on the higher table, but possibly not this season?

Olympians vault on 5 or 125cm. and certainly they are stronger and faster. some coaches raise it up to give them more time to crash...i mean to make the vault...

level 9's and 10's 13-14 and up will vault at 6. if the coach thinks that by raising it they will make it to their feet, well...they might be mistaken. :)

Just a quick question and I apologize if I am hijacking the thread, but dunno, my daughter said she vaults a 130 not because it gives her "more time to crash" bur because she "vaults high". If they lowered the vault to 125, she said she does not get to block. I don't understand this. Does she know what she is talking about? Does this make sense and/or is this the proper way to address this issue or is this just a bandaid to temporarily resolve the problem?

In Australia there is rules or heights level 7+ is 115 but most of the time we have to do 125

Just a quick question and I apologize if I am hijacking the thread, but dunno, my daughter said she vaults a 130 not because it gives her "more time to crash" bur because she "vaults high". If they lowered the vault to 125, she said she does not get to block. I don't understand this. Does she know what she is talking about? Does this make sense and/or is this the proper way to address this issue or is this just a bandaid to temporarily resolve the problem?

when you raise the table 1 notch you gain 2 inches more in height. if she is doing yurchenkos, and can't whip back on to the table at a low enough angle to facilitate the vault, and it's because of shoulder flexibility or some other technical deficiency, you bring the table up to where there hands are. in that way, they don't come on "high" anymore.

if the coach thinks that by raising it they will make it to their feet, well...they might be mistaken. :)
And certainly she won't make it to her feet if she can't even get over the vault. So, what I am gathering is lowering the table for her would more than likely benefit her. Thanks!

Angle of attack. Learn how to control it and you can vault at many heights. I can tsuk from 100 to 135.

EDIT: Found it! (http://www.gymnastike.org/premiumvideos/703311-Vaulting-Drill-For-Acceleration/)

There is a great Yurchenko drill somewhere online...on Gymnastike maybe. RO fly backs or smash backs into a vertical pit mat. This is done with a full vault run...8" mat for springboard...and hand mat. Teaches them to keep it going back...that way the table does not need to be raised to compensate for errors.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back