Taking a break from gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Proud mom

Proud Parent
My DD has been struggling with fear for about 5-6 months. She has stopped doing all backwards tumbling on the floor for the last month or 2, and now she is having trouble doing anything backwards on trampoline and double mini. She was not able to do her routines and passes at the last 2 meets. We are at a great gym, and her coach wants her to take some time off to clear her mind and really make her miss gymnastics. She views this more as a punishment, and not a break. I feel like if she could possibly work through this with privates and patience. She just turned 12 and is level 9 on tramp and 8 on DM and supposed to be 7 on tumbling. I really like her coach and am willing to do whatever he suggests. I'm just wondering if a break of 2 weeks to a month is a good idea?

Thank you! :)I read your post on vestibular and it makes sense! How should I approach her coach about this? I try to stay out of the coach/athlete relationship.
He really feels like time away from the gym will help. What would you do or say to her as if you were her coach?

time off will change nothing. you have to work thru the issue slowly with patience. to the coach i would say "read up" and get knowledge.

to your daughter i would say, there is nothing wrong with you, you did nothing wrong, and then explain to her what the vestibular system was showing an anatomy chart. then i would explain that her problem will come and go as she matures just like the rest of her body and that doing basics and going back to some things she hasn't done for awhile may be boring but will help her long term. that without tools, you can't come out of the problem. :)

I disagree, we have moved several times and when we were in MD we really never found a gym we could work with, well that's not really true, we found one but I was not willing to drive 45 minutes in rush hour traffic and keep her out past 10pm 3 nights a week...
So she took almost a year off she started karate, loved it (btw karate moms are even crazier than the craziest gm)
But when we moved to sc she wanted to return to gym since there was a gym right down the street, so we did and she at her evaluation pulled stuff she had never pulled before, she hit her front hip circle, and had never hit it before..
She also is a front tumbler, she despises going backwards, but is working through that, she likes the tramp, elastic jumper at the mall and will back tumble on it, so it's not as scary for her when in a harness I'm sure it's coming

Good luck..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back